How to move a map folder from SD to internal memory?   

How to move a map folder from SD to internal memory?

Postby Gweedz » Wed May 31, 2017 1:50 pm

GO720

I have 2 maps installed, one internal, and one on SD card.

I would like to swap their locations - hoping that the one I use more often would give better performance when installed internally.

Is it as simple as swapping the 2 map folders? Or does something else need to be done?

Also, when I'm in the "Select Map" section of the options - I would like to change the names shown for the maps available. What file do I need to modify to do this?

Thanks!
Gweedz offline

Re: How to move a map folder from SD to internal memory?

Postby fredderf » Wed May 31, 2017 2:13 pm

Yes, you just swap their locations. However a lot depends on the quality of SD card you're using as to how fast it is. The cheaper class 4 cards are very slow whereas the slightly dearer class 10 cards run just as fast as the internal drive, so I'd recommend buying one of those and running everything on there.

If you want to change the name of a map, you need to modify the *.PNA file within each map folder.
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby Gweedz » Wed May 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Thank you for the quick response... you now got me thinking.

If I get a class 10, and put both maps on it, do I simply delete the map folder on the device? I would imagine freeing up approx. 1,75GB of memory should boost speeds somewhat (I currently have only 12mb free).

Are there any limits to how many maps can be put on a SD card (besides available space)?

When it comes time to installing a new map and running Fastactivate - does the SD card even need to be in the device connected to the PC, or can the card be in a card reader?
Gweedz offline

Postby fredderf » Wed May 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Gweedz wrote:Thank you for the quick response... you now got me thinking.

1. If I get a class 10, and put both maps on it, do I simply delete the map folder on the device? I would imagine freeing up approx. 1,75GB of memory should boost speeds somewhat (I currently have only 12mb free).
2. Are there any limits to how many maps can be put on a SD card (besides available space)?
3. When it comes time to installing a new map and running Fastactivate - does the SD card even need to be in the device connected to the PC, or can the card be in a card reader?

1. Yes, just delete the map on the internal although it'll have very little impact on the speed of the device.
2. No, you can put as many maps on the SD card as space allows. Get a class 10 card and copy all files from the internal, navcore & maps to get the maximum speed possible.
3. You can use the card reader providing all of the necessary files are present.
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby Gweedz » Wed May 31, 2017 4:01 pm

fredderf wrote:Get a class 10 card and copy all files from the internal, navcore & maps to get the maximum speed possible.

Not sure I understand this.

The map folder I will "move" from internal to SD, not just copy correct?

Are you also saying to copy all the files outside of the map folder from internal to SD? But what is the purpose of having the duplicate files on the SD, and how does that help achieve maximum speed possible?

Note: When I say "maps" I mean the entire folder such as: USA_Canada_990_8305 (and not just the actual map file inside that folder)
Gweedz offline

Postby fredderf » Wed May 31, 2017 4:05 pm

What I'm saying is, you can leave the internal completely empty if you wish and move everything onto the SD so the TT will be running from the SD only
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby Gweedz » Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Cool - I didn't know that.

Thank you very much for clearing up all of my questions. Once again you've been very helpful!
Gweedz offline

Postby fredderf » Wed May 31, 2017 4:43 pm

You're welcome
fredderf offline

Administrator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom