go 530 internal memory   

go 530 internal memory

Postby dieselman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

bought a go 530 that was supposedly booting in a loop, thought i could fix it but in tt home it comes up with many errors and shows no maps found. this device shows up on computer, navcore and maps but i cant back it up or delete anything from internal memory, says files are corrupt. opened ttbif and found bootloader 10012 listed so i thought this was bricked. however using memory card the bif file generated is bootloader 55120 and everything works fine from a sd card as long as a navcore is installed on it as well as the maps.
the only way to clear the internal memory is to formatt it which you all say not to do. have i got a faulty internal memory?
DeviceName=TomTom GO 530
DeviceVersionHW=GO 530
DeviceUniqueID=
RamDiskVersion=20040301
BootLoaderVersion=10012
LinuxVersion=1000
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8351
ApplicationVersion=9982

GPSFirmwareVersion=Unknown
this is from the original internal memory, your thoughts would be very welcome
dieselman offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:20 pm

dieselman wrote:1. i cant back it up or delete anything from internal memory, says files are corrupt.
2. opened ttbif and found bootloader 10012 listed so i thought this was bricked. however using memory card the bif file generated is bootloader 55120 and everything works fine from a sd card as long as a navcore is installed on it as well as the maps.
3. the only way to clear the internal memory is to formatt it which you all say not to do. have i got a faulty internal memory?

1. Do not worry about trying to make a backup. There is nothing there worth saving.
2. BL 10012 is different from 10100 or 10200 and is ok to update.
3. We don't recommend formatting the internal except in the most severe cases. Yours qualifies!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dieselman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:48 pm

thanks for your swift reply tendriver, have tried all sorts to make the internal memory work without success, it's not really a problem as sd cards work but it's annoying me to have something not working that should. any suggestions welcome.
I've asked this question before without any replies but why is it not recommended to format your device.
dieselman offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 pm

It is not recommended because it puts unnecessary stress on the flash memory.
Windows formates all like a HDD, and well I don't see spinning disks in my SD cards ;)
Use the 9.430 or the 9.450 for your device and should be fine.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 pm

dieselman wrote:thanks for your swift reply tendriver,
1. have tried all sorts to make the internal memory work without success,
2. it's not really a problem as sd cards work but it's annoying me to have something not working that should. any suggestions welcome.
3. I've asked this question before without any replies but why is it not recommended to format your device.

1. Have you tried loading anything onto the internal?
2. That was my reasoning for point 1 in post 2.
3. Supposedly it is hard on the HD & shortens it's life.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dieselman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 pm

have made sd card with 9.430 and maps all working fine and copied this to internal memory without any success. dont have any history on this device except i paid too much for it. have tried everything i've learned from this site and things i've thought of myself but there is something weird about the internal memory. the device creates a perfectly normal bif file but nothing works from internal memory but the same things work fine from sd cards. guess i'll just have to live with that. thanks to all for your quick replies.
dieselman offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 pm

dieselman wrote:have made sd card with 9.430 and maps all working fine and copied this to internal memory without any success. dont have any history on this device except i paid too much for it. have tried everything i've learned from this site and things i've thought of myself but there is something weird about the internal memory. the device creates a perfectly normal bif file but nothing works from internal memory but the same things work fine from sd cards. guess i'll just have to live with that. thanks to all for your quick replies.

Since you didn't mention it, I'll ask. Did you attempt to format the internal?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dieselman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 pm

much as i didn't like to i really had no other option to get rid of the corrupt files but yes i formatted the internal and have uploaded correct navcores to it but they do'nt seem to work. what works fine from an sd card wont work from internal. the only thing i haven't tried is an se navcore but i don't think that will work either. this device will just not boot from internal. it boots up fine from an sd card with any patched navcore and maps. there's just something up with the internal i've never experienced before.
dieselman offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:14 am

dieselman wrote:much as i didn't like to i really had no other option to get rid of the corrupt files but yes i formatted the internal and have uploaded correct navcores to it but they do'nt seem to work. what works fine from an sd card wont work from internal. the only thing i haven't tried is an se navcore but i don't think that will work either. this device will just not boot from internal. it boots up fine from an sd card with any patched navcore and maps. there's just something up with the internal i've never experienced before.

With a current navcore & map on the internal (no card inserted), does the unit do anything, when you try to boot it?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dieselman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm

no the unit didnt do anything. i cant put anything on the internal now, it just shows up as drive letter on computer and when you select the drive letter, message just says insert disc into drive. properties are 0 bytes free 0 bytes used.
the diagnostics page on the device stops at retrieving disc information.
it behaves just like a recorded dvd that hasn't been finalised. it was pretty sick to begin with but i think i killed it with formatting it but that was the only way to delete the files as the computer could not read from source disc to even delete anything.
thanks for your input though. think i read on here sometime ago "hacking tip, delete internal and just work from cards"seems like thats my only choice now.
dieselman offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 pm

dieselman wrote:think i read on here sometime ago "hacking tip, delete internal and just work from cards"seems like thats my only choice now.

At this point, I have to agree. Don't worry about whether or not there is anything on the internal. I'm sure you already know, that when a SD card with both navcore & map on it is inserted, the SD card becomes the default set-up.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby fairytooth » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:02 pm

I have experienced something very similar with a 920 a while back. I think it had been formatted in FAT not FAT32. Access was limited and when I did a 'last resort' reformat to FAT32 in became non-accessible as a drive on the pc.

You can try going to 'Start' on your PC and 'Devices' to look for a solution but it didn't work for me.

The good news is you can still probably run your software entirely from the external sd card once properly installed, it just takes a while longer to boot up.
fairytooth offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 pm

fairytooth wrote:The good news is you can still probably run your software entirely from the external sd card once properly installed, it just takes a while longer to boot up.

The external works fine, has been discussed throughly in this thread & has been decided on as the final solution.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby fairytooth » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:57 am

Yup, thanks. I'd missed that.
fairytooth offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:34 pm

fairytooth wrote:Yup, thanks. I'd missed that.

The old adage "Read before you write" is worth remembering.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom