iGO8 Application Programming Interface (API)   

iGO8 Application Programming Interface (API)

Postby nbl1268 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi All,

is there an API (programming interface) for iGO8 that would allow me to pass from another application to iGO8 a destination (using lat,long or x,y for example), maybe a short description of the destination (eg a name or like) and then to instruct iGO8 to calculate route from current location to this new destination?

Any help with this would greatly appreciated

Thanks
Neil
nbl1268 offline

Postby xtyler92 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:43 am

No... because two different navi programs won't save that route in the same format that could be used in both apps. Instead you could just load igo8 and then type in the lat. and long. data and have it calculate the route.... if just for comparison sake, or if you want an exact route that another Navi app gave you, then you could just manipulate your route in igo8 until it matches the one you have from the other navi program.
xtyler92 offline

Postby nbl1268 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:49 am

Hi xtyler

xtyler92 wrote:No... because two different navi programs won't save that route in the same format that could be used in both apps.

It seems that my problem description was not that clear; I have only one nav application eg iGO8.

The other application is not a nav application; rather a custom application, that I have written. The application parses a serial data string received from an external device and from this provides the lat, long and title of the point/destination.

Well it will if i can get any details on the API for iGO8

xtyler92 wrote:Instead you could just load igo8 and then type in the lat. and long. data and have it calculate the route.... if just for comparison sake, or if you want an exact route that another Navi app gave you, then you could just manipulate your route in igo8 until it matches the one you have from the other navi program.

I need to avoid having to type in a lat and long; too much chance of error in the entry by my (or other persons) fat fingers....

My intention is that iGO8 calculates the route based on its current location and the destination that I have passed to it via the API.

If you can help with this that would be appreciated.

Regards
Neil
nbl1268 offline

Postby nabi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:54 am

I could be wrong in this, but if you could write it in a KML file and place that file in the POI/userdata ...
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby nabi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Thinking of this I discovered a similar procedure:

download TYRE from here: [Please Register or Login to download file]

It's originally made for Tom Tom but will work for iGO. Save your route as a kml file.
You need a route folder inside userdata, store your files in there, i.e. content/userdata/route

If you get some strange routes, just zoom in close to insert waypoints.

Credits go to Crocodile Gunn for pointing me to this.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby VFR800VTEC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:47 am

If you sav a single coordinate as a .kml and put it into iGO content/userdata/route, iGO will automatically create a route from the current position to that point. Tyre will let you enter lat,long and it will generate the .kml file for you, but I'm sure there is a much simpler way, as it's just a .xml file. I have been using Tyre with iGO8 for a few months. It works great for planning custom (scenic) routes on Google Maps and importing to iGO.
VFR800VTEC offline

Postby xtyler92 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:24 pm

I used to do something similar using google maps and exporting the route into igo8, however the program I used to use is now blocked by google. It's been a long time since I have done this and I cannot even remember the website and program I used.
xtyler92 offline

Postby VFR800VTEC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Some interesting stuff at [Please Register or Login to download file]
VFR800VTEC offline

Postby nbl1268 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:10 am

VFR800VTEC wrote:If you sav a single coordinate as a .kml and put it into iGO content/userdata/route, iGO will automatically create a route from the current position to that point..

This sounds like it'll do what i'm looking for... i can easily create the xml/kml file. Will try this. Thanks Neil
nbl1268 offline

Postby nbl1268 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:47 am

VFR800VTEC wrote:If you sav a single coordinate as a .kml and put it into iGO content/userdata/route, iGO will automatically create a route from the current position to that point.

I tried this using a file named 'MyRoute.kml'. It had the data from TYRE for a single location eg my destination. It seems that I have to restart the iGO8 application for it to find this route file; then i have to press the button for iGO8 to load the route and start navigating. Is this what you have to do ??
nbl1268 offline

Postby VFR800VTEC » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:11 am

nbl1268 wrote:I tried this using a file named 'MyRoute.kml'. It had the data from TYRE for a single location eg my destination. It seems that I have to restart the iGO8 application for it to find this route file; then i have to press the button for iGO8 to load the route and start navigating. Is this what you have to do ??

My PNA always reboots when I connect the USB cable to tranfer the file, so iGO gets restarted as part of the process. And yes, I have to select "load route" from the menu and then it will generate the route. I think you could automate that part, but it sounds like the restart could be a problem. I didn't know about that limitation since mine reboots automatically.
VFR800VTEC offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core