APPLICATION FATAL ERROR on MIO C-520   

APPLICATION FATAL ERROR on MIO C-520

Postby dannyu » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I got this weird problem where the WINCE crashed prior to the stage where the USB driver is being loaded (so it can't be communicated via the USB port).

The message displayed on the screen is:
Application Launcher.exe has performed an illegal operation and will shut down.

Pressing the OK (on the upper right side) doesn't respond. But, after 2-3 minutes it does respond but except of removing the error window,
nothing else happens.

Resetting the unit (by pressing the ON button for 10 seconds) doesn't help.

The unit was cracked some 2 years ago (using Chas521 crack (with MIO3 sub-directory etc.)) and all was working fine running IGO8.
This happened out of the blue when I turned the unit ON last week, without any further action being taken.

Any clue of what's going on and/or a hint by anyone of the forum's experts would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Danny
dannyu offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi Danny,
Is there any chance that you added something to the program? That error should not appear. You might try deleting the save folder. You will have to re-do the options.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby dannyu » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Thank you Chas521,

The content + the IGO are kept on the SD card.
BUT, even when removing the card from it's slot, the message appears anyway.
It was working OK with your crack for more than a year with no problem whatsoever, when it
happened it was a complete unexpected surprise.

So, as far as I see it, it has nothing to do with the content nor the IGO application. Something got the
WINCE to crash and I don;t know what is it.

Thank you,
Danny
dannyu offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:15 pm

There is something else that is a little deeper but the save folder is the simpler place to start. I'm assuming that your device starts normally as does the unlock. It only seems to be when you try to call up the iGO8 program. I therefore can only assume that your SD card has become corrupted or is in the process of dying completely. While you still can [hopefully] make a complete copy [back up] of the program from your SD card to the computer. Then reformat your SD card using FAT32. Then copy back the program you backed up on your computer to the reformatted SD card. Hopefully, this will give you access again. If not, you might need a new SD card.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Just saw your new message. So, SD card is not the problem. Did you drop your device or did it get wet or something like that? Did you loan it out to someone?

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby dannyu » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:35 pm

No, it was working fine and after shutting it down at night, the next morning the message appeared.
It didn't get wet nor fell down or something like that.

Could this happen due to HARDWARE failure? this MIO is 5 years old.

Thank you,
Danny
dannyu offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:44 pm

dannyu wrote:No, it was working fine and after shutting it down at night, the next morning the message appeared.
It didn't get wet nor fell down or something like that.

Thank you,
Danny

Do you still have the back up of the original Mio internal software? If so, first back up the unlock internal to your computer, delete the unlock from the internal and copy the original software back to the internal. Completely shutdown your device, wait a few seconds and restart without the SD card.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby dannyu » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Thank you Chas521,

I think I have the original content of the unit, but the problem is that the unit doesn't start properly. I have no USB
connection to it and therefore I can't unload the unlock and then reload it or any other option.
When I start the unit after a few seconds I get the message as I indicated in the 1st post and then it gets stucked.
I cant see any menu nor select anything to be performed.

The problem seems to be preliminary, much earlier than the unlock starts running and the menu to select from appears.

Thank you,
Danny
dannyu offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Danny,
I hate to say it but it's starting to sound more and more that your device may have seen its last days. MioMap 3.3 which you now have on your device via the unlock gives the device the ability to be seen by the computer. If it can't now [and it was fine before] then it just might be time for a new one. Good thing is, the prices are low right now. You really don't need a super deluxe model.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:18 pm

dannyu wrote:Could this happen due to HARDWARE failure?

The short answer is "Yes".
I agree with Chas521...if a fault is not due to a 'bad' SD Card (which happens), then it could be the internal storage (same technology for storage as the SD Card and just as likely to eventually fail...but less often since it is not written and re-written to as much), or it could be any number of other internal components. Sounds to me like corrupt file(s) on the internal storage, but if you have no way to access that, your options are very limited. 5+ years is a long and healthy life for GPS devices, but the time always comes to say goodbye.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:26 pm

I just had another idea. It's possible that your USB cable went bad and that's why your computer can't see it. But that has nothing to do with the device's problems in the first place.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby dannyu » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Thank you Chas521 & Yurbuh for your input.

I agree that 5 years is quite a long service and will look into the next GPS unit (maybe even get a larger LCD).

Thank you,
Danny
dannyu offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core