step by step - replacing internal map on nuvi 1xxx, 2xxx and   

step by step - replacing internal map on nuvi 1xxx, 2xxx and

Postby p!xeldealer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31 am

step by step tutorial for replacing internal map on nuvi 1xxx, 2xxx and 3xxx

1. in hidden folder [garmindevice]\.System\ delete the files gmapprom.img, gmapprom.unl and gmapprom.sum after backup on PC

2. download new unlocked image version (normal NT for 1xxx, Unicode for 2xxx and 3xxx) and copy it after extraction (gmapsupp.img or gmapprom.img) to folder [garmindevice]\.System\ - if it's named gmapsupp.img rename it to gmapprom.img (take care for exactly right name)

3. replace *.jcv in folder [garmindevice]\.System\JCV\ with new downloaded version

4. if exists, replace files in folder
    [garmindevice]\.System\ASR\ (only *.asr, *.srx)
    [garmindevice]\.System\SQLite\ (only biggest *.db)
    [garmindevice]\.System\G2S\ or [garmindevice]\.System\G2S\ (only some files)
    and file [garmindevice]\.System\gmap3d.img
    with new downloaded version files
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

change interface mode to get full access to internal memory

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 am

How to change interface mode on nuvi 2xx5 or 3x90 to get full access to internal memory

1. On Volume page press right upper corner at least 5s.

2. You get access to "Diagnostic Pages", there scroll down and press "MTP Settings".

3. On page "MTP Settings", select "Mass Storage" (for durable change) or "Mass Storage Single Session" (for temporary change).

After this change your device will be shown as normal Windows drive with it's own drive letter and you have access to hidden folders and files too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Pierre » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:18 am

Hello,

How is the method of a nuvi 40

The method described above does not work on a nuvi 40
Pierre offline

Re: step by step - replacing internal map on nuvi 1xxx, 2xxx and

Postby ttrsjr777 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:06 am

I am trying to get replacement map fror GARMIN nuvi 200.

I am having problems and cannot follow all the different instructions. I am also experiencing problems even getting the files that are needed to replace the old map. i am having this error.
Error: The file you are attempting to download does not exist or has been removed because it violates our terms of use.
Click here to go to the homepage. please, please, please can someone help me get the satnav updated without buying maps. Ideally looking for a step by step guide, as i am new to doing anything like this. thanks in advance. :bs_quesexclaim:

p!xeldealer wrote:step by step tutorial for replacing internal map on nuvi 1xxx, 2xxx and 3xxx

1. in hidden folder [garmindevice]\.System\ delete the files gmapprom.img, gmapprom.unl and gmapprom.sum after backup on PC

2. download new unlocked image version (normal NT for 1xxx, Unicode for 2xxx and 3xxx) and copy it after extraction (gmapsupp.img or gmapprom.img) to folder [garmindevice]\.System\ - if it's named gmapsupp.img rename it to gmapprom.img (take care for exactly right name)

3. replace *.jcv in folder [garmindevice]\.System\JCV\ with new downloaded version

4. if exists, replace files in folder
    [garmindevice]\.System\ASR\ (only *.asr, *.srx)
    [garmindevice]\.System\SQLite\ (only biggest *.db)
    [garmindevice]\.System\G2S\ or [garmindevice]\.System\G2S\ (only some files)
    and file [garmindevice]\.System\gmap3d.img
    with new downloaded version files
ttrsjr777 offline

Postby Confused » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 pm

ttrsjr777 wrote:getting the files that are needed to replace the old map. i am having this

First... tell us more...

You said you had a nuvi 200. It is the absolute easiest to update as it requires only ONE file. But... you have a space problem and may have to put the new map on an SD card depending on what map you are trying to install. Many newer maps are to large for internal memory.

So...
What map (and version) do you have installed ?
What map (and version) are you trying to update to ?

FYI -
(1) your current map is one self contained file and that is all you need to replace (if ther new map will fit). Your current map is.
x:\garmin\gmapprom.img (x is your USB drive letter on a pc)

(2) the update map you will eventually download will be named gmapsupp.img and is the ONLY file your 200 can use. Other update files are for features your 200 does not support. You want to download an UNLOCKED version of the IMG file.

(3) A map update is nothing more than a file replacement (drag-n-drop).

(4) inside the 200, either of the names gmapprom.img and gmapsupp.img will work. They are interchangeable and you can rename them as you wish.

Unless you need very small map coveragem the odds are pretty good that your new map file will be to large for the 200 map "update" and you will probably need to put it on SD (or micro-sd). That's no big deal. Instead of updating the internal map you add the new map as a second map. I would recommend leaving the GPS as it is ad getting the cheapset 4gig card you can find (card speed/performance is not an issue). This strategy will solve all your Nuvi 200 memory limitation problems for the forseeable future and you won't have to mess with the 200 to do future map updates.

To put a new map on the sd simply create a folder on the card named "garmin" and copy the new map to that folder. You want this setup.
sd:\garmin\gmapsupp.img << this will be your new map on sd

That's all ther is to it. boot the gps, go you your "map info" screen and you will see both your old and new map listed. Select the one (and only one) that you want to use.

Your dond
Confused offline

Postby AladdinSane » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm in trouble here guys.

Loaned my son's Nuvi 1490 for an upcoming trip and decided to try to get NT2014.40 with the instructions posted above on how to replace the maps.

Backed up the files from the Nuvi to my pc (took ages on my crap system) then followed step 1 ibove. So far so good.

Step 2 is where my problems began. Went to the 'New Maps' page to download unl.img files (are they the right ones??) which consist of 5 downloads. Well, the first one won't download and I get the message 'page unavailable.

So I thought i'd download an unlocked NT2014.40 file from a torrent site. The file I downloaded and extracted contained only 4 files named :-

Garmin City Navigator Europe NT 2014.40 Unlocked.png
Garmin City Navigator Europe NT 2014.40 Unlocked.txt
gmap3d.img
gmapprom.img

I renamed the last one to gmapprom.img and tried to copy it to my .system file on the Nuvi but I get a message saying not enough room for the file. The file size is 3,207,872 KB

Can't go any further than that.

I haven't got to steps 3 and 4 but they include replacing files with new downloaded ones. What new downloaded files???

Please help guys, i'm not good at this stuff :(
AladdinSane offline

Postby Confused » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:20 am

re: your Nuvi 1490

If you don't have enough room in your device you will have to find a smaller IMG that will fit (less coverage makes the file smaller).

Alternatively you can leave the 1490 as is and put the map on a larger data card
1. get a cheap 4 or 8 gig SD/microSD
2. create a folder on the card named "garmin"
3. rename you map from gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img
4. copy your map to SD like this
sd:\garmin\gmappsupp.img

Both maps (old and new will then be there on your map info screen). Be sure to select only 1 map at a time. If you select 2 maps with any overlaping coverage the 1490 will not function properly.

you don't need the gmap3d.img file. Youe device does not support 3D building views.

If you want to use the junction view file (*.jcv), put the file on SD like this
sd:\garmin\JCV\filename.jcv (don't rename the .JCV file, use name exactly as downloaded)
Confused offline

Postby pdanimal » Sun May 11, 2014 11:49 am

Hi experts,

I'm a real new comer with a nuvi 3590 bought in Taiwan. If I need several additional maps to be stored in SD card such as europe and south east asia, shall I store them in seperate cards, or just put them together in 1 single card please? Many thanks in advance.
pdanimal offline

Postby p!xeldealer » Sun May 11, 2014 9:24 pm

The answer is already given here: http://www.navitotal.com/tutorials-f90/image-names-and-paths-for-garmin-devices-t4675.html#p33390

You can use several maps with any file name with extension .img in folder \Map\.
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby viisurf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Hello.

Is it possible to use map from Nuvi 2555 on Navi 1450? I have Nuvi 2555LMT so I upgraded the map to the latest, unlocked it with "Protected Garmin file toolkit_2254_x86.exe" and copied it to 1450LT. Since my 1450 has only 1.8 GB of space and new map is 2259 GB, I inserted 8GB micro SD card, created a folder Garmin there and copied gmapprom.img to there. Nuvi does not see this map and shows only the original one. I also tried renaming the original gmapprom.img in .System folder but then GPS does not show any map.
I would appreciate if anyone can guide me how to do that correctly.
Thank you in advance.
viisurf offline

Postby viisurf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:42 pm

I also tried to rename folder Garmin on sd card to Map. Now it says Can't unlock map.
viisurf offline

Postby viisurf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:19 pm

Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks to everyone and have great holidays.
viisurf offline

Postby tony48 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi to everybody.

Is it possible to load unlocked NT maps on nuvi 2589LMT? It seems that the nav is blocked to any tentative to load "unlocked maps"...maybe as this is one of the latest device, Garmin has implemented a better digital sign protection ... Has any one experienced any trouble like this one? My last tentative was to unlock a map with gimgunlock up to v.0.03+MapSigPatch ...no way!
Thanks a lot.
tony48 offline

Postby ph_paulissen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi,

get a Nuvi 2597 and try to update the map.
things does not look like on the tutorial.
I removed the 3 files : gxxx.img; gxxx.url and gxxx.sum.

tryied to replace them by newly downloaded ones... unfortunately, the unlocked map file contains only one file : gmap3d.img

I placed it under .system

no rods apperas

add old .url and .sum... same

I'm lost, please help...

Thanks in advance
ph_paulissen offline

Postby monreith0 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi can I download map updates to my nuvi 1340. Using non Garmin maps.thanks
monreith0 offline

Next

Return to Tutorials