Step-by-Step: How to download images and create JNX files   

Step-by-Step: How to download images and create JNX files

Postby posti » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:56 pm

After watching a zillion YouTube videos with no results, I worked out a way to select and download imagery with Global Mapper and convert it into .JNX files, so it can be uploaded into Garmin devices.

The version of Global Mapper I am using is 15.2.

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

I am new to this program and I managed to get results through trial and error, so it is a very basic tutorial and you may find other or easier ways to get the same or better results.

In “File” menu select “Download Online Imagery/Topo/Terrain Maps”.

A new menu opens, where you can choose the source of the imagery (in my case is “World Images”) and click “Connect”.

You will see a world map and you will want to select the area of the image you need with the “Zoom” tool.

To select the area to download select the “Create Area Feature” button. This will allow to draw a polygon in order to select the area of the download. Just set the pointer over the image and left click to draw the lines of the polygon.

Once you draw the last line of the polygon, without moving the pointer from the last point of the polygon, right click and a new window opens “Modify Feature Info”. Just set the name of the polygon and click “OK”. The window closes.

Move the cursor inside the polygon and double click. The same “Modify Feature Info” opens again. Click OK to close. You will notice that the polygon now has red and blue dots.

In “File” menu choose “Export / Export Raster / Image Format”.

Choose “Garmin Raster Maps [KMZ/JNX].

A window “Garmin Raster Export Options” opens.

Check “Advance (JNX Format)”. Go to “Product ID” and set it at: 1 – Birds Eye (Unknown). Set “Product Name” and “Map Name”.

Then check “Always Generate Square Pixels”

In my case, in “Click Here to Calculate Square Pixels” I changed the units to “centimeters”.

In “Sample Spacing/Resolution” set the units (of resolution). The highest resolution varies from place to place. 50 centimeters seems to be the highest resolution accepted, at least in the areas I tested. Anywho, the resolution of the display in my GPS device (GPSmap 78sc) is quite low so this setting does not seem to be an issue.

Go to the “Export Bounds” tab and check “Crop to Selected Area Feature”. Click OK.

A “Save As” window opens. Set the path and name of the new JNX file and click “Save”, and the export begins.

Then copy the JNX file to the Birdseye folder of the device. Connect the device to Basecamp and click “Receive From Device”.

In “My Collection” you will find the JNX file.

I’ve checked the JNX images against (non-WAAS/EGNOS) tracks I already had in the device and they are pretty accurate. Yo can find screen captures of the tracks over the image here:

[Please Register or Login to download file]

I hope this tutorial saves you a lot of time.

Enjoy!
posti offline

Postby rstrator4 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:30 pm

Hello you amazing people, I just discovered this stunning forum and all of its content. I was googling how to get ( BirdsEye ) satelite images on my Garmin Alpha 300 device and I came here. I noticed bunch of people are selling satelite image maps on facebook marketplace, so there must be a way to get them on my own.
Does anyone know how to get maps like BirdsEye on Garmin Alpha device for free?
rstrator4 offline

Re: Step-by-Step: How to download images and create JNX file

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:56 am

rstrator4 wrote:Does anyone know how to get maps like BirdsEye on Garmin Alpha device for free?

The Alpha 300 and Alpha® 300i dog tracking handhelds come with a [Please Register or Login to download file] . What's happened to yours ?

Older devices where able to be Patched to use JNX files from another source.
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby rstrator4 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:59 pm

GarmanNuvi wrote:
rstrator4 wrote:Does anyone know how to get maps like BirdsEye on Garmin Alpha device for free?

The Alpha 300 and Alpha® 300i dog tracking handhelds come with a [Please Register or Login to download file] . What's happened to yours ?

Older devices where able to be Patched to use JNX files from another source.

i followed steps from link, it says in first step to register device in Garmin Explore, and Garmin Explore says that it does not support Garmin Alpha 300. ::facepalm::

Edit:
I managed to solve that. But I can't download more than 200-300mb of satelite images. Can you recognise what software is on this photo?
How can I download this large area.?
https://prnt.sc/fMGfxB3ed6uQ
rstrator4 offline

Postby posti » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:38 pm

Did you try the procedure described in the first post? You should not have any problem in downloading any kind of image.
posti offline

Postby rstrator4 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:41 pm

posti wrote:Did you try the procedure described in the first post? You should not have any problem in downloading any kind of image.

Yes, I select whole coutnry and get 70kb file in export folder and nothing else.
rstrator4 offline

Postby posti » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:57 pm

Sorry... I can't follow you... Were you able to obtain the JNX file? If so, you have to upload the file to your device.

Gook luck!
posti offline

Return to Tutorials