Looking for Viewranger Maps   

Looking for Viewranger Maps

Postby Iain.y » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this should be in here or the Satnav forum

I am looking for Viewranger Maps that will run on an Android device. These maps are for Hiking

GB Explorer 1:25,000 Scale Maps. These maps come in 3 parts

Cairngorms
Loch Lomond
Ben Nevis and Glen Coe and Fort William

Or 1:50,000 scale LandRanger mapping for England, Scotland, Wales, and Isle of Man
Iain.y offline

Postby paulsm » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Aren't we all.

Don't think they have been cracked yet.

Best you will probably get is to use the free OSM maps. They are not too bad and include footpaths/gates etc. (if you select the right overlay). I use MOBAC ([Please Register or Login to download file] ) to create my maps using the Viewranger atlas format and Cloudmade default style (as they zoom to 17 as opposed to most other that only zoom to 16). This creates the correct tiles. I then put these into <SDCARD>:\ViewRanger\MapCache\_PAlbTN\129

I choose 129 as it is unused for me in any "online mode" so I can mess with it to ensure data charges are not incurred. This is the directory for the cache of "Open Piste Map but you can shove any supported map in here.

I then edit the \ViewRanger\Config\glcfg.xml file to make 129 a name of my choice (e.g. Fred's Offline Maps of UK) and to make the update URL phoney so I don't get a data charge and also to set the Max zoom to 17 as this is the max zoom of the cloudmade map:

</layer>
<layer name="Paul Offline Map" tileSize="256" layerID="129" type="PNG" desc="Fred's Offline Maps of UK" minLayer="3" maxLayer="17" URL="http://tah.zzzenstreetmap.org/Tiles/tile/%VRZ/%VRI/%VRJ.png" maxPreCacheTiles="999000" maxPreCacheZoom="17" avTileSizeBytes="12000">
<bounds west="-1509949440" east="1509949440" south="-1509949440" north="1509949440"/>

Copying maps to SD card takes forever and it also fills the card pretty quick (32Kb cluster size for millions of tiny files).

What I do get though are walking maps of the area I want for free.

You can also download free POI files from Pocket GPS World or similar. Then use something to convert them to GPX and finally you can import the GPX files into Viewranger by using the app itself.

Or....... You can not be as cheap as me and buy the OS maps.

Hope that helps.

P
paulsm offline

Return to Other Systems