Adding Storage Memory to XL 330   

Adding Storage Memory to XL 330

Postby lumkichi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:12 am

Hello,
I just received my refurbished TomTom XL 330 yesterday, and immediately tried to upgrade the map. Realizing I probably had to upgrade the Navcore first, I found this forum and after a couple of fits and starts, I've upgraded to 9.205.547817 version using the AutoInstaller. Nice!! And thank you.

Now as I am trying to upgrade the map to 855.2931, I discovered that the unit has only 72 MB left! Fortunately the new map is only about 5 MB larger than what I am about to replace (835.2420). I realize this unit only has 1GB and does not have SD/SDHC capability.

Reading on other forums, I've come across a couple of unique hacks:
1) Turn a 512MB TT into 1GB by reformatting w/FAT32
2) Hardware modification of a TT One v3 to wire in a SD Reader to upgrade unit to 2GB

While option (1) above might not be suitable for my unit, I am willing to try option (2) if such a hardware hack is available for the XL 330. I've searched this forum for info, but could not find any; perhaps I'm not using the correct keywords. Can someone point me in the correct direction? I also understand (and seen the same effect on a Wii, yes I hacked my Wii too, and my DMP1) that a unit can get SDHC capability simply upgrading the bootloader...

I'd like to see if I can get enough room to put other voices (Mandy is just too domineering and the other voices sound disinterested or like my grandma) and mp3's and pictures and junk...

Thank you in advance,

~lum
lumkichi offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:51 am

lumkichi wrote:Hello,
I just received my refurbished TomTom XL 330 yesterday, and immediately tried to upgrade the map. Realizing I probably had to upgrade the Navcore first, I found this forum and after a couple of fits and starts, I've upgraded to 9.205.547817 version using the AutoInstaller. Nice!! And thank you.

Now as I am trying to upgrade the map to 855.2931, I discovered that the unit has only 72 MB left! Fortunately the new map is only about 5 MB larger than what I am about to replace (835.2420). I realize this unit only has 1GB and does not have SD/SDHC capability.

Reading on other forums, I've come across a couple of unique hacks:
1) Turn a 512MB TT into 1GB by reformatting w/FAT32
2) Hardware modification of a TT One v3 to wire in a SD Reader to upgrade unit to 2GB

While option (1) above might not be suitable for my unit, I am willing to try option (2) if such a hardware hack is available for the XL 330. I've searched this forum for info, but could not find any; perhaps I'm not using the correct keywords. Can someone point me in the correct direction? I also understand (and seen the same effect on a Wii, yes I hacked my Wii too, and my DMP1) that a unit can get SDHC capability simply upgrading the bootloader...

I'd like to see if I can get enough room to put other voices (Mandy is just too domineering and the other voices sound disinterested or like my grandma) and mp3's and pictures and junk...

Thank you in advance,

~lum

Navitotal does not encourage attempting to wire in a SD card to increase the storage memory of a device. You do so at your own risk.
SDHC cards in a card slot are supported with bootloader 5.5015 or newer.
BTW, the latest meta file is attached.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom