Oregon 400 and g2 Bluechart VISION problem   

Oregon 400 and g2 Bluechart VISION problem

Postby timp4411 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:15 pm

I Have a problem with the way the g2 "Vision" charts display on my Oregon 400.

I have both an Oregon 400 and a 76CSx. The g2 Vision charts display fine on my 76CSx but on the Oregon 400 I see the Satelllite View wherever it it is availabel within the g2 Vison charts. If I take the detail leverl down to Less or Least, the diaplay shows up as a normal chart. But otherwise, when I go back up to the Normal or above detail level, I get the satellite picture again.

I tried a different g2 vision charts and it was the same results. It was fine on the 76CSx but not on the Oregon 400.

Since these charts were obtained in a less than proper method, I hesitate to report this to Garmin, but it obviously a problem with the Oregon 400 firmware/software. I tried going several different firmware versions, 3.82beta, 3.80, 3.60 all with the same results.

I am disappointed as the g2 vision charts do definately display more info, including street names on the charts. But with the satellite view, it renders the chart useless for any real navigation.

Has anyone else had this experience with their units?

Acoording to Garmin, the 76CSx and Oregon 400 units are "Compatible" wiht the Vison charts, but not all the feature are available. Well.... I wish the satellite view wasn't available w=either.

Thanks for any feedback.
timp4411 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby p!xeldealer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:29 pm

The GPSmap isn't compatible with the special functions of g2vision-maps, like fishing-charts, satellite-view ... - you only see the normal navigation chart.

Oregon-devices are able to show the new functions, but the problem is: you can't switch directly from satellite-view to navigation-chart.

But in the chart manager you have two entrys of the same map - the first is for the "special" maps and the second is the "normal" navigation map - deactivate the first entry and you have the correct chart for navigation.

Only some of the older g2vision-maps are not working correctly in this way - may be they are not unlocked correctly or they are not "constructed" right by Garmin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The presentation of this posting exists of 100% of recycleable, taste-neutral, not genetic-
manipulated and unleaded pixels free of CFC - this guarantees for You p!xeldealer :yahoo:
p!xeldealer offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby timp4411 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 am

p!xeldealer,

Thanks very much for that info.

I have learned that you are wise to unlock thes g2 charts the "RIGHT" way rather than using the "easy" way.

Too many things do not display correctly if you use the shortcut to unlock.
timp4411 offline

V.I.P Member

Return to General Discussions about Garmin