RB5 Uconnect touch 8.4N Map update needed   

Postby vinegaroon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Can anyone compare my directory with theres and see if they match up?? on page 32 I took screenshots of my CTP2012 0://Garmin folder. I did not erase any files, but perhaps something might have got deleted??

**I'm gonna try that out subuk. Repeat twice just to be sure? or is there a security feature in these units??
vinegaroon offline

Postby subuk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:34 pm

You may try to delete only those files which can be found on your new update stick.
Once I deleted the whole ASR directory instead of single .srx and .asr files and I had to ask Garmin to send me .srd files (speech recognition data) which you can not download from anywhere on the web.
subuk offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tanbam » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:30 am

subuk wrote:I thought you have the same issue that I noticed yesterday during the 5th installation of the same 2014.30 EU mapset. I did not know what could be wrong (unlocked and checked everything more than twice) until I saw the map reflashing progress bar does not reach 100% and the whole system turns off at about 98% :tickled_pink:
Previously I could leave the car alone while reflashing in ACC mode and it was able to complete the install. Now I had to press the button to ACC or RUN mode again at about 90% to keep it up.
I do not know why this installation took so long when this mapset is 6.25GB vs 6.22GB (2014.20) :102:

Maybe you ought to try to delete gmapprom.img by flashing the cure firmware into your CTP.
Normally you are not able to delete gmapprom.img from the file manager, because system is trying to use it and this file is automatically protected.
You can prepare yourself the cure firmware by editing your current gupdate.gcd file slightly.

Be sure you have a secure copy of your gupdate.gcd just in case.
All you need is to install some hex editor (I use HxD) and open your original gupdate.gcd with it.
Go to "Search" -> "Search and replace" (Ctrl+R) -> tick "Unicode string" and Direction "Everywhere"
type where "Search" gmapprom.img and "Replace with" gmmorppa.img (or any other combination of switched signs, just to have the same alphanumeric sum) -> click "Change everything" -> you will have a pop-up window with the number of entries changed -> click save and thats it.
Now you need to reflash this firmware from "Garmin Recovery Mode" from the Dealer Menu.
After reflashing is complete take out your USB stick, "software loading" is shown in navi screen, let it a few minutes to complete and wait until the system fully loads to "Where to?" / "View Map" screen.
Then turn the power off, open the door and shut it. Do not touch anything ;-), wait until the USB port light is off and then switch to ACC and wait for "Where to?" screen again - repeat this procedure twice.
Go to file manager and delete gmapprom.img
Now you can reflash your original firmware again and repeat above steps with software loading, door shutting and USB light ;-)

Before next map installation you may also first "Erase All User Data" by press and hold the right hand bottom corner of boot screen when white CTP13 and some text below appears under your Chrysler logo.
You may also clear Novol from hidden menu ("Novol Available" three pararell lines and "Clear Novol".
These above may erase your recently found, favourites, settings etc but maybe your system needs some refreshing to accept new mapset.

Then try to install your fresh mapset again.

I can not guarantee the above will help or will not make any worse crap :-) but I tested it and worked for me when I was in big trouble :-)

I've tried building one of these, but either my radio is upset with all of my monkeying around with it or something is wrong, because it won't install. It gets about 5% of the way done, then errors out. It might be my USB stick, or it could the flakey radio. Something is definitely off with my setup, since I can't even reload the untouched firmware anymore. I've got to learn to leave this thing alone, but it's kind of neat to play with.

I had some custom POI's loaded, and for some reason, some of them were causing issues. If I tried to navigate to them, the navigation would get very sluggish and only update my position every 10 seconds or so, the compass would lock up to the last direction, and the EVIC turn display would lock up in my dash cluster. It would start working again after the car was turned off for a couple of hours, and it took me a while to figure out what was causing the problems.

I've even started to have trouble with the new map updates. I had to run the install four times before it finally took the 2014.30 maps this time, but I think I've cleaned out the offending POI points this time. It might work a little better now.

You also mentioned that you were able to change the voice files. How were you able to get them to load?

When I have some more time around Christmas, I think I'm going to start messing around with the microSD slot that's in my engineering sample Garmin board. It would be nice to get that thing working...
tanbam offline

Postby jrt67ss350 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I am having trouble updating the maps on my 2012 Charger RB5 with a CTP12. I bought a Nuvi 3590LMT and have followed all the directions by Tanbam and others step by step. I have tried multiple different USB sticks as well as multiple different types of DVD-R and DVD-RW disks. Each time, it verifies the update and then proceeds to reboot the navigation to copy the files. The second it starts to copy the files, it gives me an error message - 30A1 if I am trying with a DVD and 31A1 if I am trying via USB. It never actually succeeds in copying any new files.

I have tried all permutations of the actual files - gmapprom.img alone, including the ASR and JCV folders, not including those folders, including the 3dmaps, SQLite, and SID folders (which shouldn't be needed on my CTP12) and not including those folders, etc. I've tried unlocking the map files with gimgunlock, I've tried with locked files. Same error message in same spot every time.

The interesting thing is that the first time I tried to update it, it requested the unlock code, which I generated using Jetmouse and successfully put into the system. I then got the 31A1 error when it started copying files. After that first attempt, it has never asked me for a unlock code again - doesn't matter if the map files are locked or unlocked. Each time, it validates the maps, tells me there are updated maps available, and then jumps right to the prompt warning that it may take 2 hours to complete. It has never asked me for the code between those two prompts after that first attempt.

I have reset all the user data, I have cleared nonvol memory. Same error message each time on reflashing.

The only thing I've noticed is that the map set installed in the car from the factory is "OEM City Navigator North America+Mexico NT 2012", whereas the Nuvi 3590LMT maps are "City Navigator North America NT 2014.30" There is no +Mexico on the 3590 maps. Does that matter? It does seem to validate the map update correctly each time, it just fails when it is trying to reflash the flash memory in the head unit. I have tried renaming the 2014.30 map files to the "OEM City Navigator North America+Mexico NT 2014" name using gmaptool with no difference.

Any ideas? At this point I'm not sure that it will work if I actually buy the real DVD - is there a problem with my head unit where it can't write to the flash memory?

Thanks!
jrt67ss350 offline

Postby tanbam » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Ok, let's try to break it down a little.

1) Your maps are probably correct, because if there was a problem, it would have told you that they were not compatible before prompting you to enter the code.

2) You only need to enter the code ONCE for the current map. When you enter the code, the radio creates an unlock file and saves it. If you ever want to reinstall the same map version, it will detect that the unlock file is already the right one and skips that step. When you start to install a different version (newer or older) it will prompt you to enter a new code. In short, what you're seeing is normal.

3) When debugging problems, it's best to use just the gmapprom.img file. That way, there is much less stuff to analyze and copy over and makes it faster. Once you get the trouble sorted out, you can put the missing files back on the USB stick and complete the full installation.

4) One trouble sign that I've noticed is when the validation only takes a few seconds. Every time that has happened, it eventually ends up with an error. You really want that validation stage to take several minutes.

5) Don't change any of your files. Your model of radio works best with raw, unaltered files straight from the nuvi.

6) Your problem may be due to a space issue. I had that happen for the first time with the 2014.30 maps. I suspect that the radio wants to copy all of the update files into a temp location before it deletes the older files and copies the new ones into the right spot. I could not successfully update my system until I ran a gmapprom.img-only cycle and let the system delete all of the extra files from the older version. After the old files were cleaned out, I was able to run a complete update.

7) When you tried burning a DVD, did you make sure that you burned the disk at the slowest speed that your burner supports? Faster burning has generally led to having DVDs that aren't as readable in things other than a computer DVD drive, in my experience.

I know this sounds like crappy advice, since you've already tried so many things already, but I'm going to suggest that you keep trying with just the gmapprom.img and different USB sticks. I cannot emphasize enough that the radios are VERY picky regarding the USB stick. Old and slow USB sticks seem to be the best ones to use. The newer, faster sticks seem to have trouble sometimes. When you finally find the one that works, lock it up somewhere and keep it safe.

The best USB stick that I've ever used was a Kingston 32GB microSD card that came with a tiny microUSB-to-USB adapter. I never had an error with that setup, but sadly, the adapter was cannibalized for another project. I use a Sandisk cruzer 8GB now, which is about three or four years old and is successful most of the time.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
tanbam offline

Postby jrt67ss350 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:33 pm

tanbam wrote:6) Your problem may be due to a space issue. I had that happen for the first time with the 2014.30 maps. I suspect that the radio wants to copy all of the update files into a temp location before it deletes the older files and copies the new ones into the right spot. I could not successfully update my system until I ran a gmapprom.img-only cycle and let the system delete all of the extra files from the older version. After the old files were cleaned out, I was able to run a complete update.
Tanbam,

Thank you!! This was the exact issue. I put just the gmapprom.img on the USB stick and it flashed it without issues, updating the mapset to the 2014 NA maps. The system deleted the ASR files (but left the matching .sum files in the ASR directory), but did not delete the junction view file. I then reloaded all of the files onto the USB stick to reload the new ASR and JCV files. It verifies the update, tells me it found a map set that is the same as the one installed and asks me if I would like to replace it. When I click yes, it starts loading but quickly erros with the same reflash error as before. I went into file manager and deleted the old JCV file to make more space, but that didn't help.

I have tried to leave the gmapprom.img file off, but it errors immediately before verifying if I do that - it appears that the map set must be on the drive. How can I now get all of the ASR files and the JCV file back?

Thanks again for your help - I have the new maps now thanks to your help. Now, I just need to get my speech recognition and junction view back!
jrt67ss350 offline

Postby tanbam » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:11 am

jrt67ss350 wrote:Tanbam,

Thank you!! This was the exact issue. I put just the gmapprom.img on the USB stick and it flashed it without issues, updating the mapset to the 2014 NA maps. The system deleted the ASR files (but left the matching .sum files in the ASR directory), but did not delete the junction view file. I then reloaded all of the files onto the USB stick to reload the new ASR and JCV files. It verifies the update, tells me it found a map set that is the same as the one installed and asks me if I would like to replace it. When I click yes, it starts loading but quickly erros with the same reflash error as before. I went into file manager and deleted the old JCV file to make more space, but that didn't help.

I have tried to leave the gmapprom.img file off, but it errors immediately before verifying if I do that - it appears that the map set must be on the drive. How can I now get all of the ASR files and the JCV file back?

Thanks again for your help - I have the new maps now thanks to your help. Now, I just need to get my speech recognition and junction view back!

Try just the JCV file, along with gmappron.img.

You ALWAYS need gmapprom.img, it's the key to start the upgrade.

Also, make sure that the files in the ASR and JCV folders are ONLY the ones that are part of the upgrade. Don't copy the whole folder that is on the Nuvi.

The best way to get your files is to copy the Garmindevice.xml from the nuvi onto your USB stick and let GarminExpress update the USB stick directly. It will install the update files onto the ".System" folder on the USB stick, then you can cut/paste the files into the Garmin folder.
tanbam offline

Postby jrt67ss350 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:58 am

tanbam wrote:Try just the JCV file, along with gmappron.img.

Also, make sure that the files in the ASR and JCV folders are ONLY the ones that are part of the upgrade. Don't copy the whole folder that is on the Nuvi.

The best way to get your files is to copy the Garmindevice.xml from the nuvi onto your USB stick and let GarminExpress update the USB stick directly. It will install the update files onto the ".System" folder on the USB stick, then you can cut/paste the files into the Garmin folder.
I have tried these suggestions. Allowing GarminExpress to update the USB stick directly and using those files after copying to the Garmin folder results in the same reflash error. I also tried burning a DVD with the JCV, ASR, and gmapprom files obtained via this method and obtained the reflash error. Trying the USB stick with just the JCV folder with only the one JCV file in it along with gmapprom.img results in the same reflash error.

I successfully reflashed the maps again if I ONLY include gmapprom.img. I even tried putting the JCV file in the Garmin folder with the gmaapprom.img file instead of in a JCV folder within the Garmin folder. That resulted in a successful reflash of the gmapprom.img maps, but the JCV file was ignored and not copied.

I am stumped. It seems that the only thing I can reflash is the map set. Whenever I include any other files, it fails with a reflash error.
jrt67ss350 offline

Re: RB5 Uconnect touch 8.4N Map update needed

Postby emrbzr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Hello ,

I am currently stuck and need help.

I tried to update with the steps provided. at 98% system rebooted and maps in my car are gone. (2012 chrysler 300)

I tried 4 more times after that with Usb, and sd card with usb adapter but no luck. It comes until 80% and gives reflashing error all the time.

Name of the maps are correct. I am trying only the gmaprom.img inside Garmin folder.

I am really stuck guys I have no maps in the car.

I called dealer they said call garmin I called garmin they said call dealer.

What should I do?
emrbzr offline

Postby vinegaroon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:07 pm

emrbzr wrote:Hello ,

I am currently stuck and need help.

I tried to update with the steps provided. at 98% system rebooted and maps in my car are gone. (2012 chrysler 300)

I tried 4 more times after that with Usb, and sd card with usb adapter but no luck. It comes until 80% and gives reflashing error all the time.

Name of the maps are correct. I am trying only the gmaprom.img inside Garmin folder.

I am really stuck guys I have no maps in the car.

I called dealer they said call garmin I called garmin they said call dealer.

What should I do?

I'm exactly where you are at. No maps (other than base ones like main freeways, but definitely no detailed ones) Dealer wants me to buy a map cd for $200+ hahah. I've tried new usb sticks, burning it to cd, sd card slot, different versions of maps and the list goes on. Probably close to a couple days straight of just trying to get this to work and nothing will. Furthest i've gotten was around 95% and got the flash error.. spent awhile working with tanbam and he couldn't even figure out what was wrong with it. I'm guessing it has to do with the version of our radios cause i'm also a 2012 model..
vinegaroon offline

Postby moparlife » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:00 am

First of all I will give you some background info. I live in Australia and own a new Chrysler 300 with a 8.4 inch Uconnect. In Australia the voice commands to operate the Sat/Nav do not work, however they work in every other country. I am on a 300 forum and there is a lot of people upset over it. When I started looking into the reason it didn't work I admit I had no idea about how maps or the Uconnect worked. Anyway to cut this short the Aussie cars never had the .SRD files which needed to go in the ASR folder. After adding these files in and doing a normal map update on the Uconnect, some of the voice functionality now worked. EG. Go home and find recently found and find nearest fuel all worked where before they never did.

However if you say "Find Address" you now get a message saying "Voice Command support is not available for British English"
As it is Australian maps being used it needs the Australian VPM file however in the Voice folder in the Uconnect it only has the British VPM file.
So I found the correct Australian VPM file and tried to add it to the voice folder as part of updating the maps and it never copied it in there. So eventually I was able to put the file in another folder and thought I would copy it to the voice folder by using the Uconnect file manager. Every time I tried to copy the file it would reboot the Uconnect half way through the copy. What I discovered is that it would only copy files to the voice folder that were under 10MB. After all my research I firmly believe if the Aussie vpm file was in the voice folder all the voice commands would then work. Also the British VPM file in the voice folder is either locked or in use as it won't let me delete it.

What I was thinking, is using the Garmin Recovery Mode by going into the Dealer Mode. From your post in the link above, this might let me add the vpm file into the voice folder.
What I am wondering and hoping you can answer is :- Will i need every folder and file that is currently in the Uconnect on the USB key? Currently I only have the folders and files on the USB key that are needed as part of the map updates.

So this makes sense I will explain it another way.
If you look at the pics above you can see that it has several other folders in the Uconnect, as in [Diag] [ExtData] [Fonts] [Help] {keyboard] etc etc. If I was to use the Garmin Recovery Mode will I need those folders, and the files inside them, on the USB key? I am scared it will delete all the files and folders first before it restores from the USB key.

This is the only way I can think of to get the VPM file into the voice folder.
moparlife offline

Postby hernanzy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi there, this question is for subuk or anyone else that can help me.
I have CTP 2012, and my garmin was 3.2 unit.
I updated using a chrysler disc which i bought form the dealer, mopar 68213519AA (which supposed to upgrade Garmin to 4.14)
Guess What? it did it, Now I have my Garmin from 3.2 to 4.14 , but the only thing is wrong is that the lenguaje for garmin is in english, all the unit is in spanish but I can not change the garmin interface from english to spanish, also the voice guidance is in english.
can anyone help me in turning my User interface of Garmin, from english to spanish? also if I can change the voice guidance would be great.
As I see using the file manager, in the voice directory , the files are there but how i can select the lenguaje ?
thanks in advance!
Hernanzy
hernanzy offline

Postby ricosuave0922 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 pm

I have the CTP 2011. Is there any "cure" method for this device. I have tried everything i can think of and everything posted in this thread and no matter what i do i keep getting error during flashing and when it reboots it complains about not having detailed maps.
ricosuave0922 offline

Postby Talus91 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:31 am

jrt67ss350 wrote:
tanbam wrote:Try just the JCV file, along with gmappron.img.

I have tried these suggestions. Allowing GarminExpress to update the USB stick directly and using those files after copying to the Garmin folder results in the same reflash error. I also tried burning a DVD with the JCV, ASR, and gmapprom files obtained via this method and obtained the reflash error. Trying the USB stick with just the JCV folder with only the one JCV file in it along with gmapprom.img results in the same reflash error.

I successfully reflashed the maps again if I ONLY include gmapprom.img. I even tried putting the JCV file in the Garmin folder with the gmaapprom.img file instead of in a JCV folder within the Garmin folder. That resulted in a successful reflash of the gmapprom.img maps, but the JCV file was ignored and not copied.

I am stumped. It seems that the only thing I can reflash is the map set. Whenever I include any other files, it fails with a reflash error.

Any update on this, I'm basically having the exact same issue as you.
Talus91 offline

Postby subuk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:56 am

@up I had this issue once, when instead of donwloding FULL JCV file for my CTP13 i downloaded that one marked as "split screen". Since that single issue, I have not had any trouble this type anymore. Also now I used maps and all the other files downloaded through Garmin EXpress for my nuvi device. We update CTP2012 and CTP13 with these maps. CTP14 does not take it - I do not know why ... :013: (I need gupdate.gcd for CTP14 to solve it)

@moparlife I also can not wait for somebody to point me how to copy files between 0:Disk and the other sources in CTP`s File Manager ... :022: That would make able to swap voice files and get my native language in route guidance.

@hernanzy have you managed to put things back to work as expected ?
subuk offline

User avatar Junior Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge