How to install Tomtom Navigator 7 on Windows Mobile PDAs   

How to install Tomtom Navigator 7 on Windows Mobile PDAs

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Installation instructions for Windows Mobile 5/6 (6.5/6.5.X) PDAs

Does not work on earlier versions or Windows CE devices (WinCE) PNAs
Also does not work on Windows Phone 7(.5)/8(.1)

ie...
Smartphones without touchscreen
Smartphone 2002
Pocket PC 2000/2002
Windows Mobile 2003/SE
Windows Mobile Standard
Windows Phone 7(.5) or later
Dedicated satnav with WinCE core

To find out what version of Windows you have go to Start->Settings->System->About

This process is easier if you have a memory card in your phone and a card reader in your PC, Or your phone supports mass storage mode.
You will not be able to activate your maps via ActiveSync or WMDC.

Just to note that these versions of Tomtom are designed for HTC devices, They do work on other devices (Or can be made to work), But there will always be an exception.

NOT ALL DEVICES WILL RUN TOMTOM 7

-> READ THROUGH THIS GUIDE FIRST AND THEN BACKUP ANYTHING IMPORTANT ON YOUR DEVICE JUST IN CASE <-

Download one of these cab files, Make sure you pick VGA for (W)VGA devices or QVGA for (W)QVGA devices

Tomtom Navigator Cab installation files

Transfer the cab file anywhere on to the phone or Storage card. (Use a card reader if you can)
Disconnect your phone if connected and tap on the cab file from within the file explorer on your phone
You can choose to install anywhere but i recommend a storage card.
You'll now have Tomtom Navigator in your start menu, Run it.
There'll be some setup questions, Complete these.
Eventually a message saying there are no maps will appear, Tap Ok.
The next screen will be the map select screen, but there are no maps, There will be a button saying Voucher, Tap that.
Internet explorer will open, Close it.
Reconnect your phone or Insert your storage card into the PC and now transfer your required maps from the link below into the root of your phones storage card, Also you may need to download postcode files, These will go in a folder called Zip in the root of your storage card.

Download FastActivate here
Download your required maps here (All new maps)
Download speed cameras from here

Look at the map file sizes and pick the smallest size as the larger sizes have extra features that are not used.

If you are in Great Britain, Nederland or Singapore you will need the LATEST POSTCODES available from the map thread.
Transfer both FastActivate.exe and the map folder to the root of your storage card or My Flash Disk folder, Place the speedcam files for the map region within the map folder, and if you needed the postcode files, Place the files for your map region(s) in a folder called Zip in the root of the storage card.

Transfer FastActivate.exe to the root of the storage card where your maps are.
Make sure your PC is connected to the internet and run FastActivate from the PC, You only need to click the Maps/Voices/Speedcams button!
This will not work if your phone is connected via ActiveSync (XP) or Windows Mobile Device Centre (Vista, 7), Use a card reader or mass storage mode.
When FastActivate reports it has finished disconnect your phone.
Run Tomtom again.
Now the tricky bit is the GPS settings.
On HTC devices you can sometimes select Internal GPS reciever which just sets the baud rate to 4800 and the GPS program port to COM4: which is the default HTC settings.
For other devices goto Start->Settings->System->(External)GPS
Note down the GPS program port, Then go to hardware and note down the Baud rate, GPS hardware port does not matter (But don't change it), Then goto Access and make sure Manage GPS automatically is ticked.
Run Tomtom and tap the area underneath the right hand side of the map where the clock and signal strength is, Then tap the section to the right of the screen where it says 0 satellites.
Tap configure.
Use the arrows to find Other NMEA GPS receiver, Tap select.
Move the slider to select the baud rate you noted down earlier, Tap done.
Tap on COMX: Where X is the GPS program port you noted earlier, There may be several options here just pick the correct number.
If everything is set up correctly the little yellow and black circle will rotate and Poor GPS reception, Are you in a building? will be displayed in the top left corner
Now go outside and wait for a lock, This can take a while the first time.
If you get a lock and the map displays your current location you are done.
Now Make a backup of the Navigator folder within Program Files on your Storage card (Or device memory if that's where you installed it) and your map, Zip folders, Also ttnavigator.bif. If you don't know how to create shortcuts use the file explorer on your phone and go to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and backup Tomtom Navigator.lnk

As i said these Tomtom versions are designed for HTC devices, So if you're installing onto a different device you may need to edit the registry or fiddle around with Windows settings to make it work properly. Sometimes a soft reset will help get a satellite lock.

Frequently Asked Questions...

How do i change the language?
Go to page six of the settings and tap the icon of some flags, Select your desired language from the list.

How do i set the clock?
The clock uses the system time, you can't set it within Tomtom.

Why does it crash with a 'not enough memory' error?
Check to see how much free memory your device has, around 20MB's is sufficient, also on certain devices you sometimes see this error if you use auto screen rotation.

Why does Tomtom say 'You cannot use this map on this device'?
Look for the presence of a {map version}.meta.dct in the map folder, If it's not there then map activation has failed, Is your device connected via Activesync/WMDC?
If it is there then check for the presence of ttgo.bif and ttgo.ori, These are related to the mapshare hack and may interfere with map activation, delete them and try again.
Otherwise check that the map is compatible with Tomtom Navigator.

Why doesn't Tomtom remember any settings i change?
Tomtom Navigator caches all the disk writes and will save them periodically, If you switch off the device these settings are lost. So use the exit option on page three of the main menu after setting everything up to force Tomtom to save the settings to disk, otherwise you'll have to do them again and again and again!

How do i make a Windows Mobile shortcut?
Open notepad on your PC and type...
"\Program Files\Navigator\Tomtom Navigator.exe" Which is the path to the executable on your device within quotes, If you're installing on to a memory card the path will start \Storage Card\
Count all the characters 47 in the above example
Arrange the text like this...
47#"\Program Files\Navigator\Tomtom Navigator.exe"
Save the file as...
Tomtom.lnk That's LiNK not INK
Make sure it's Tomtom.lnk and not Tomtom.lnk.txt
Your PC will hide .lnk so you'll just have an icon called Tomtom
Start menu icons can be found here... \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
If your device calls the drive where Tomtom is installed something else, Substitute Storage Card for it's name.
Or you can use this

Can i use Mapshare?
1, Make a copy of TTNAVIGATOR.BIF and rename it to TTGO.ORI and place it in the root of the drive where the map is installed
2, Download and copy these files to the same root directory [Please Register or Login to download file]
3, Rename your map folder to Map
4, Start Tomtom.
5, Download and install Tomtom Home
6, Connect your device to the PC when Tomtom Home is open, wait for the connection to be established, NOTE: The device will show as a Tomtom One
7, Click Update my device, You don't need to login so click Don't login now
8, Wait for the updates to be retrieved, As Tomtom Home thinks it's a Tomtom One it will offer updates for it, Unselect everything except Mapshare Updates
9, Click Update and wait, Disconnect when done

Can i use celebrity voices?
Yes, Some need activating and some don't, for best results, only copy the voices that need activating into the Voices folder first, run FastActivate again, then copy in the voices that do not need activating afterwards.
Some non activated voices have number id's that match activated voices, FastActivate will generate a .dct for these and they won't work.

Can i use TTS, ALG, IQ Routes, Truck maps or a V8/9 navcore?
No!
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Tutorials