Garmin nuvi 250 where to begin...........   

Garmin nuvi 250 where to begin...........

Postby BongMasterP » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:28 am

Hello everybody, i'm new to the whole nav thing. Yeah i have installed miopocket or visual gps to multiple mio/navman systems including the nav systems(igo/primo/tomtom etc etc). but that was easy.
i dont realy think this is to difficult too, but i'm new and cant see the forrest trough of the trees

My father in law has a garmin nuvi 250 with old 2006 or 2008 maps on it. so i dedided to update it so i came here using google.

now i have multiple questions, but maybe there is a noob starters guide for the whole gamrnim section.

Where to start and what to do.?

i have the cne NT 2012.10 gmap file.
can get most files and programs just wat to do next.

From what i've read thus far i'm supposed to hack mapsource, and then using mapsource put the gmap file on my garmin right? what hack to do? i thought i saw multiple hacks for mapsource.

do i need to hack the map after mapsource or what? maybe someone is willing to guide me in the right direction.

also can i delete the old gmap file to create room for my new map file on the internal mem?
BongMasterP offline

Postby Omikse » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:21 pm

I have the same questions?
Omikse offline

Postby colint » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:57 am

It's simply a matter of copying your unlocked .img file into the garmin directory of your Nuvi.

You don't need mapsource to put a map onto your GPS

If the map you are copying is going to be larger than the internal memory of the GPS then you need to copy the map to a suitable size SD card and insert that card into the Nuvi. The Europe maps, all of them, are a little over 2gig in size, so a SD card is your best bet.

You can have three maps on the internal memory of Nuvi at one time. They are Basemap (GMAPBMAP.IMG), Factory Installed Map (gmapprom.img), supplemental Map (GMAPSUPP.IMG).

Yes you can delete Factory and Supp maps but I prefer to back them up just incase.

Regards

Col
(aka VK2CRT)
colint offline

Postby stricimacko » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem with a Garmin nuvi 250w device and 2012.10 map. So I planned this route from my home town in Romania to Oderzo,Italy. When I type in the street name (Via Calazze) it says that target destination is 934 km away. Then when I start navigating, it says 1340 km to target destination, and makes a huge 400 km detour Romania - Serbia - Slovenia - Italy. I verified navigation preferences, it's set on faster time and to avoid unpaved roads. I know very well this route I planned, and this looked very weird to me, so I decided to plan the route on a nuvi 245w. Surprize: it doesn't take that 400 km detour through SW Romania and Serbia and routes me on the correct way (through Hungary then Slovenia and Italy). I verified and compared the settings on both devices, they were the same. Then I connected the 250w to my pc, and found out that it doesn't have a basemap which i guess, contains - among other things - bordercrossings. Can anyone help me?
stricimacko offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin