BMW Motorrad Navigator III / Streetpilot 2820   

BMW Motorrad Navigator III / Streetpilot 2820

Postby sebikorek » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an old unit of the BMW Motorrad Navigator III as part of restoring an older BMW Motorcycle.
The Navigator has the Garmin City Europe NT v9 maps installed and I would like to update them to the latest compatible version.

I've been looking for some days online and on this forum and I cannot find any tutorial on how this would be possible, which is the latest map version and how it can be installed.
Note: the device doesn't have a Mass Storage mode to simply copy paste the maps and it has only 2 GB storage space.

Do you have any experience and tips for this device?
Any help is welcome.
Thanks a lot!
sebikorek offline

Re: BMW Motorrad Navigator III / Streetpilot 2820

Postby lenart » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm

Can you put a SD card into it? If yes do you need Garmin maps on it or are OpenStreet Maps fine?
lenart offline

Postby sebikorek » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:29 pm

Unfortunately not. There's no SD Card port...
sebikorek offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:06 pm

sebikorek wrote:Unfortunately not. There's no SD Card port...

I've never owned or even seen this Nav3 but I'm pretty sure you will have to load a regional map on to the device using MapSource as Europe is over 6GB.
It would be great if you could see the internal storage as then you could delete the original maps.
NT maps for Europe with Unlocked MapSource .gmap folder
new-maps/city-navigator-europe-2024-fid-9588-t23353.html
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby sebikorek » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:39 pm

GarmanNuvi wrote:
sebikorek wrote:Unfortunately not. There's no SD Card port...

I've never owned or even seen this Nav3 but I'm pretty sure you will have to load a regional map on to the device using MapSource as Europe is over 6GB.
It would be great if you could see the internal storage as then you could delete the original maps.
NT maps for Europe with Unlocked MapSource .gmap folder
new-maps/city-navigator-europe-2024-fid-9588-t23353.html

Hi GarmanNuvi,
Thanks for the reply. I will try to do it like this. Maybe I have some luck :) I'll keep you posted and if I'm successful I will create a tutorial for the people who might have the same needs. :023:
sebikorek offline

Postby sebikorek » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 pm

So, I did it!
Here are the step by step instructions:

1. Install MapSource or on the PC
2. Install the unlocked maps on the PC. In my case it was the Europe City Navigator NT 2024. Very important they have to be NT, otherwise the Navi doesn't support them.
3. With the Map selection tool in MapSource, select the territory that you want to transfer to the Navi. (You cannot transfert the whole Europe because of space issues)
4. Click on Transfer to device, select Maps and OK

This did it for me, and now the BMW Navigator III has the City Europe v9, the BMW overlay and the City Europe 2024 NT.

Next step would be to somehow delete the v9, because it's using 1,5 GB of the 2 GB that the device has, but I haven't figured it out yet.
sebikorek offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:12 am

sebikorek wrote:Next step would be to somehow delete the v9, because it's using 1,5 GB of the 2 GB that the device has, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Not sure if you have or could get a copy of the City Europe v9 disc or ISO image as from what I understand you could use it to send the smallest map set (gmapprom.img ) to the device which would overwrite the large 1.5Gb file freeing up some more usable space ?
Not even sure if it is Win 10 compatible ?
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby sebikorek » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:50 am

GarmanNuvi wrote:
sebikorek wrote:Next step would be to somehow delete the v9, because it's using 1,5 GB of the 2 GB that the device has, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Not sure if you have or could get a copy of the City Europe v9 disc or ISO image as from what I understand you could use it to send the smallest map set (gmapprom.img ) to the device which would overwrite the large 1.5Gb file freeing up some more usable space ?
Not even sure if it is Win 10 compatible ?

Hi, yes, I also thought about that, I have the v9 Disk that came with the navigator, but I don't have the unlock key... I will have to try and find a way to unlock the maps and then send the smallest set to the device.
sebikorek offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:13 pm

sebikorek wrote:Hi, yes, I also thought about that, I have the v9 Disk that came with the navigator, but I don't have the unlock key... I will have to try and find a way to unlock the maps and then send the smallest set to the device.

Try Garmin Unlock Generator
[Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby sebikorek » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:42 am

Thanks a lot! This worked and unlocked the maps. But unfortunately they don't get overwritten. I'll keep trying.
sebikorek offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:27 am

sebikorek wrote:Thanks a lot! This worked and unlocked the maps. But unfortunately they don't get overwritten. I'll keep trying.

I assume your PC does not see this device in File Explorer (USB drivers installed ), maybe a simple tool like [Please Register or Login to download file] will be a way to see and manage your map files.
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby sebikorek » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:37 pm

GarmanNuvi wrote:
sebikorek wrote:Thanks a lot! This worked and unlocked the maps. But unfortunately they don't get overwritten. I'll keep trying.

I assume your PC does not see this device in File Explorer (USB drivers installed ), maybe a simple tool like [Please Register or Login to download file] will be a way to see and manage your map files.

No luck there either... :( The JaVaWa website states that the tool will not work with devices that have no Mass Media Storage capabilities for example StreetPilot. And this is actually nothing more than a rebranded Streetpilot. :(
sebikorek offline

Postby sebikorek » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:28 pm

Oh my God! I found a really old forum that has the solution!
The problem is that the BMW Navi has the v9 maps written on it as gmapprom.img and whatever will be transferred via Mapsource or BaseCamp will be an update another file gmapsupp.img, in addition to that.
So what needs to be done, is to overwrite the gmapprom with the latest map version.

You need this:
An SD card (at least 2GB)
An SD card reader, attached to your computer
City Navigator NT Europe 2024 (or whatever map you want) installed on your computer
WebUpdater.exe (you can find in the Mapsource or Garmin directory)

Write the following line in Command Prompt in Windows:
D:\WebUpdater.exe /upload_file rgn=49 path=D:\EU2009\GMAPPROM. IMG -autorun usb /i

Where WebUpdater.exe is in the root of D: and IMG-file is in D:\EU2009

And done!!! <3

Original post here: [Please Register or Login to download file]
They state that they also found the info somewhere else, here: [Please Register or Login to download file]
sebikorek offline

Return to Tutorials