Need list of DVD writers that burn at 1x   

Need list of DVD writers that burn at 1x

Postby funkoligy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi I would like help in purchasing a DVD burner that is capable of burning DL Verbatim discs or any disc at 1X. Its hard to find im using Asus DRW-24B5ST and its only burning min 4x and I cant find a firmware that allows a lower burn speed. Also tried different softwares like IMGburn, Nero, alcohol and clone dvd. Help and Thanks in advance
funkoligy offline

Postby nabi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Many modern burners can't burn at 1x or 2x at all and therefor I think the software minimum is limited by the hardware/firmware of the burner itself.
You could try XPburner but I doubt that soft can burn at 1x either for the higher reason.

Does burning at 4x result in a bad disc? Or not? Have you tried? Using another brand of discs may help to get better results, though I know I recommended Verbatim myself (http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6331-Audi-RNS-E-2011&p=45306#post45306)
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby funkoligy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks Nabi I am using Verbatim and yes failing at 4x.
funkoligy offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I assume you need a capable writer to burn an image of something with a very good copy protection?
From quite a bit of experience I can tell you that the writing speed in the end does not matter too much.
What is important is the technology behind it.
Most standard writers can handle gamy copies quite well, but totally fail for example when reading WII games or if they have to write in the inner most areas of a disk - this is where a lot of hardware based protections store at least some data.
So to even be able to get to the writing stage one must make sure that
a) the reader is able to create a 100% true image of the disk
or b) the image obtained is already known to produce working copies

I still use an old LG burner for the really hard cases, the models
- LG 8161B
- LG 8162B
- LG 8163B
- LG 8164B
will all read and write much better than any other writer around these days.
This is due to the combination of hardware and firmware used in those writers.
To find a suitable writer these days it would make sense to do some research in the bogger forums that offer solutions for game copies. They always have some lists with recommended writers on request.

As for the disks in use:
Although Verbatim is generally recommended for all hard tasks one should know that they produce a variety of disks that sometimes not just differ in the label.
Again good recommendations can be found in the game copy forums.
Since a lot of noname disks come from the same factory, or to simply check what exact type of empty disk you have, tools like
[Please Register or Login to download file] or [Please Register or Login to download file] can make your life much easier.
Also be aware that some systems these days re-discovered the oldest trick in the world to make sure no illegal copy can be used.
It is so simple that most big companies forgot about the principle:
The reader, like in you case the system in your car, checks if a disk is in the drive,
if so the next step is to check if the disk type is recordable or pressed/printed,
in case the full hardware protection is used no disk identified as recordable will be accepted.
Since this data is located in an area of the disk that can't be manipulted it is considered to be save.
The only way around that would be the use of an authoring capable writer, but since these cost over 10grand and require registration they are very hard to come by, same for the "really empty" disks used in those writers.
Another hint on selecting a writer is to make sure it only writes with a single laser beam without any systems to record several sectors at once - often hard to find those specs for never models as most of them use those techniques as standard.
In the old days I checked for the supported error correction methods to select a writer (the more the better) or that you could get a firmware that allowed the writing in the protected modes like on the LG models mentioned.
One reason why modern writers refuse to write at very low speeds is the fact that modern materials used for the disks often can handle the heat produced by the laser itself.
Reducing the laser power (in modern writers) and the speed to single or double is much harder to go the speed limit of a disk.
Although the pressure from the film industry to only produce "safe" DVD writers might a reason too why it is so hard to find good hardware these days.

A failed or terminated write with a good disk is quite often a result of the writer being unable to write the image exactly in the way necessary.
If processing speed of the image is a problem increasing the buffer size and doing some simulation runs can help.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:18 pm

The speeds quoted in the burning software are what's offered by the hardware, for example my desktop burner (Vista era) will burn dvd's at a minimum of 2x, but my newer usb drive I have for my netbook burns at a minimum of 4x.

They both use the same Microsoft default driver.

To get a slower speed drive you may have to look for an older drive on eBay.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Toyota-Lexus