Garmin TOPO Great Britain v3 Pro 1:25k   

Garmin TOPO Great Britain v3 Pro 1:25k

Postby darren666 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:54 am

[Please Register or Login to download file]

Prepare for your next great outdoor adventure with the most detailed recreational map for Great Britain to date. This map includes the official Ordnance Survey (OS) 1:25,000, 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 scale maps for the selected region, and also offers on-trail guidance for thousands of kilometres of paths and trails from the OS Detailed Path Network within British National Parks (where applicable).

Within any covered British National Parks by your selected region, shows OS Detailed Path Network, powering on-trail turn-by-turn guidance for customised routes for pedestrian and cycling activity profiles.

Displays turn-by-turn street navigation on hundreds of thousands of kilometres of roads from HERE maps
Plans customised activity routes using ActiveRouting1, showing routable roads and paths for walking and cycling tours
Offers thousands of different, searchable destination choices, with hundred thousands of searchable addresses and points of interest, including lodging, restaurants, car parks, banks, petrol stations, attractions, camp sites, trig points and more
Provides 3-D view and elevation shading on compatible devices so you can estimate terrain difficulty
Includes Digital Elevation Model (DEM) for route profile planning
1Full ActiveRouting capability only with selected devices; depends on Garmin GPS device and software version.

Engineering enhancements are ongoing and may not be reflected in the pictures, videos and specifications.
Original
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

darren666 offline

Re: Garmin TOPO Great Britain v3 Pro 1:25k

Postby tearexan » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:37 pm

Amazing share, many thanks! What are the sql and .sid files for?

Just tried these on an amoled garmin - they're noticably more blurry than the v2 at all zoom levels, especially so on say 500ft view. I don't know what Garmin/OS have done but it's a real shame. I appreciate the upload OP but I'm gonna have to stick to v2.

Can anyone else see them similarly?
tearexan offline

Postby darren666 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 pm

V3 Maps look the same quality as V2 on my GPSMAP 66 zoomed in, they're both 1:25k, the only difference is the v3 maps are newer, and have smaller file sizes as the area's are smaller.
I Think the SQL & SID files are for searching routes and places.
All the map files go inside a GARMIN folder, on the SD card, the SQL & SID files are inside that folder in their own folders. (I Think?)

Thanks, D
darren666 offline

Postby tearexan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:48 am

I've loaded both into GPXSee [Please Register or Login to download file] and this is how I see them.
The first image is map v2, second is this v3:
Same on my watch. This is at all zoom levels but more noticeable the more you are zoomed in:
ImageImage
If you load them into gpxsee and compare you'll notice it clearly. It's a shame as I appreciate he new upload but what have Garmin/OS done to the files? It makes my eyes ache as they feel like they can't focus on the image. You can see the difference more easily if you open each image and switch between the two tabs or upload the screenshots here and use the slider [Please Register or Login to download file]
Last edited by tearexan on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
tearexan offline

Postby thawboa » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:20 am

Hi, it easy to see yes. The problem is that whoever made this map used pixel based graphics instead on vector based graphics. It's like that addded vector lines ontop of an old map. This also makes the img file VERY large in terms of bytes.
The map is clearly not made by Garmin themselves, the would use their own NT tech instead.

However if you look at the maplines and text it full screen resolution since its vectors.
The subpar pixelbased data is also cleary seen in the examples on Garmins own site:

I do not believe this has to do with this beeing a copy of the map, rather that the original map is of low quality.
And that sad since you pay alot for that map if you purchase it.
thawboa offline

Postby tearexan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:51 pm

thawboa wrote:Hi, it easy to see yes. The problem is that whoever made this map used pixel based graphics instead on vector based graphics. It's like that addded vector lines ontop of an old map. This also makes the img file VERY large in terms of bytes.
The map is clearly not made by Garmin themselves, the would use their own NT tech instead.

However if you look at the maplines and text it full screen resolution since its vectors.
The subpar pixelbased data is also cleary seen in the examples on Garmins own site:

I do not believe this has to do with this beeing a copy of the map, rather that the original map is of low quality.
And that sad since you pay alot for that map if you purchase it.

I understand vector vs raster, OS maps have always been the latter, but somehow they've updated them and either compressed them at too low a quality or have messed it up. They've never been pin sharp because of the raster original, but compared to the old set they're much worse and OS have fluffed this and potentially future updates. Super annoying.
tearexan offline

Postby tearexan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:49 am

What's stranger yet is when using an app which has access to the latest OS maps the details are even clearer than the v2, so clearly the OS files are fine but Garmin are over compressing I guess to save space, but it's ruined it. Here's the same are on OS: Image
tearexan offline

Postby thawboa » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:41 am

Yes the difference in quality is huge.
I'm in Sweden, also here it took a l-o-o-o-ng time for our national land survey to swith over to vector and ditch raster based maps altogether.
thawboa offline

Postby Traveller66 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:06 pm

This is not the first time, Garmin did so. As I remember, the Topo Switzerland v3 had an additional raster map with 3.34 GB in size. When the v4 appears, the file size was smaller as well as the resolution...
Raster maps are nice in view but takes a lot of computing power. And Garmin is not really improving the devices like smartphone companies.
Traveller66 offline

Postby xavierbzh » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:42 pm

It works, I don't know if I had to do this but here how I did it :

1 - I downloaded all 12 files
2 - Extracted on my HD
3 - Used gimgunlock on all the .img files
4 - Opened each img files with ImgTool
5 - On the CodePage, selected all
6 - Put 1252 as the new CodePage
7 - Apply
8 - Once I did all the .img files, I copied all the .img files plus the 2 directories sql & sid in the SD/Garmin directory.

Now my etrex 22x sees all the GB maps. I'll see in May if it works fine when I'll come to England on holiday

Thanx for the files, Xavier
xavierbzh offline

Postby darren666 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:49 pm

There isn't too much difference in quality, unless you really zoom in, which is normally too close for mapping anyway, it looks like they've just smoothed the image to remove the blockiness but caused a blurring effect as a side effect.
It does lose some contrast also.
I think they need to Increase the quality anyway, the OSMaps app map quality looks far better and only costs £25 a year to subscribe, far cheaper than paying £350 for the Garmin TOPO Pro map, and maps are always upto date.
darren666 offline

Return to New Maps