VW NAVIGON PID V2 Head unit 10R-04 6953   

Re: Garmin Software cannot be started...

Postby lugte » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi there,

I'm facing the exact same problem here after an update went terribly wrong. It seems however that the "cure" document has been deleted from the link. Any chance that a kind soul could reupload the document?

Thanks in advance!
lugte offline

Cure

Postby GarmanNuvi » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby lugte » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Thank you so much. My apologies for being too lazy to search the forum :(

I read the instructions and downloaded the GarminCure3.exe and Updater.exe but it seems that I need a .gcd-firmware-file in order to continue. I've searched the forum for my device type but I haven't had any luck yet. Could you please help me?

My device info:
10R-04 6953
M/N: 4NSF
(I believe that it's actually a rebranded NAVIGON PID V2 device)

Status right now is that when I turn on the device, it displays the Volkswagen logo with the following info:
BL: 3.62
BT: H14423-V2R43

Immediately afterwards the screen changes to white with black text: "Garmin Software cannot be started. Contact the Garmin Service Center" - which I did, but with no luck either. I'm able to USB-connect the device to my computer (the screen displays the device-connect-to-computer logo), if I turn it on while holding a finger in the top left corner. The device appears in file explorer as a USB-drive but it's completely empty.
I've tried using Garmin Fresh to restore the device, but when the actual restore process seems to initiate, the software tells me to “Please wait" for 10-15, seconds after which I get a hard error “FreshErr_CB1255_H||Could not format (CB1255)” – could not format the internal memory of the device.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
lugte offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 pm

lugte wrote:My device info:
10R-04 6953
Any help would be highly appreciated!

Not sure if your device is able to use Cure ? Seams like your device only uses Garmin Fresh to update/restore?
[Please Register or Login to download file]
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby lugte » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:58 am

I really don't know. I just bought it recently with an old map from 2013 that I decided to buy an update for. When I updated the device through Garmin Fresh, the operation failed somehow and now I'm stuck with the bricked unit. Garmin Support weren't able to help me out so now I'm desperately searching elsewhere for a solution.
lugte offline

Postby lugte » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:23 am

Update 2022-02-07:
Unfortunately the links in this guide don't work anymore. And I seem to have lost my local copies.
I'd suggest that anyone coming across this post in the future contact Garmin Support and request the files. The must have them archived somewhere. I anyone succeeds in this endeavour, please let me know, so I can update the post with fresh links.

Update:
I contacted Garmin Support who was actually able to help me solve the problem. They sent me the following guide which, after I strictly followed it through, reset my device to factory defaults:

To repair your device please follow these steps:
  1. You need to have a microSD card that fits into your device
    (The smaller the better - please use a card that is not larger than 16GB)
  2. Put the card into the device
  3. Connect the device via USB cable with your computer
  4. Wait until the device is shown as mass storage device in your file explorer
  5. Check that the memory card is formatted as FAT32 with master boot record (MBR)
  6. Download the repair tool using this URL: [Please Register or Login to download file]
  7. Unpack the ZIP archive
  8. Copy the "UpdateMe.exe" from the archive onto the root of the memory card
  9. Eject the device from the computer and unplug the USB cable
  10. The device will now reboot...
  11. Let the device reboot - this will take some seconds - after that a message appears, that the device will reboot in some seconds...
  12. Wait until this second reboot has performed as well and the device is showing the white screen with the error message that the software cannot be started
  13. Press and hold the power button until the display turns off
  14. Eject the memory card from the device - it is no longer needed
    (the "UpdateMe.exe" is already deleted from the memory card after it have performed well)
  15. Connect the device again via USB cable with your computer
  16. Press the power button to turn the device on and wait until the device is shown as mass storage device in your file explorer
  17. The device is now empty and in the correct format and you can perform a "device restore"
  18. After that the device should boot up with "Connect me to your new car" to do the pairing.
  19. Double check with Fresh if there are additional software or map updates available and install them
  20. Now everything is done and you can use your device again

Regarding the format of the SD-card, this actually turned out more difficult than expected - at least for me. At first I connected my 2GB SD-card to the navigation device and even though my Mac told it to be FAT32 formatted, the whole procedure didn't solve the problem. I then took the card to a Windows machine, formatted it to FAT32 with MBR and reinserted it into the device, restarting the procedure. This second time it succeeded.

I hope this will help others as it helped me.
Stay safe out there.
Last edited by lugte on Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
lugte offline

VW NAVIGON PID V2 Head unit 10R-04 6953

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:07 pm

New discussion
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Re: VW NAVIGON PID V2 Head unit 10R-04 6953

Postby volatile84 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:05 am

lugte wrote:Update:
I contacted Garmin Support who was actually able to help me solve the problem. They sent me the following guide which, after I strictly followed it through, reset my device to factory defaults:

To repair your device please follow these steps:
  1. You need to have a microSD card that fits into your device
    (The smaller the better - please use a card that is not larger than 16GB)
  2. Put the card into the device
  3. Connect the device via USB cable with your computer
  4. Wait until the device is shown as mass storage device in your file explorer
  5. Check that the memory card is formatted as FAT32 with master boot record (MBR)
  6. Download the repair tool using this URL: [Please Register or Login to download file]
  7. Unpack the ZIP archive
  8. Copy the "UpdateMe.exe" from the archive onto the root of the memory card
  9. Eject the device from the computer and unplug the USB cable
  10. The device will now reboot...
  11. Let the device reboot - this will take some seconds - after that a message appears, that the device will reboot in some seconds...
  12. Wait until this second reboot has performed as well and the device is showing the white screen with the error message that the software cannot be started
  13. Press and hold the power button until the display turns off
  14. Eject the memory card from the device - it is no longer needed
    (the "UpdateMe.exe" is already deleted from the memory card after it have performed well)
  15. Connect the device again via USB cable with your computer
  16. Press the power button to turn the device on and wait until the device is shown as mass storage device in your file explorer
  17. The device is now empty and in the correct format and you can perform a "device restore"
  18. After that the device should boot up with "Connect me to your new car" to do the pairing.
  19. Double check with Fresh if there are additional software or map updates available and install them
  20. Now everything is done and you can use your device again

Regarding the format of the SD-card, this actually turned out more difficult than expected - at least for me. At first I connected my 2GB SD-card to the navigation device and even though my Mac told it to be FAT32 formatted, the whole procedure didn't solve the problem. I then took the card to a Windows machine, formatted it to FAT32 with MBR and reinserted it into the device, restarting the procedure. This second time it succeeded.

I hope this will help others as it helped me.
Stay safe out there.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience here.
I am having the exact same problem with my device, and I tried the steps that you mentioned, but I am stuck in step 17:
The device is now empty and in the correct format and you can perform a "device restore"
How can I do that ?!
Is there some place where I can get the contents of a device restore ?!
I tried connecting the device to the "Fresh" program, it does detect an empty device, but when I try to install maps on the device, it just tells me no device is detected :(
I would really be grateful if you can guide me to a restore copy that can bring the device back
volatile84 offline

Postby lugte » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:14 am

You're supposed to use the Garmin Express software which can easily be downloaded from Garmin's website.
Install the software and fire it up. As I recall, you'll have to create a user account with Garmin (this is free) and then register your device to your user account. Then you can choose to restore the device to factory defaults from one of the dropdown menus.
lugte offline

Postby volatile84 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:46 pm

lugte wrote:You're supposed to use the Garmin Express software which can easily be downloaded from Garmin's website.
Install the software and fire it up. As I recall, you'll have to create a user account with Garmin (this is free) and then register your device to your user account. Then you can choose to restore the device to factory defaults from one of the dropdown menus.

I tried using Garmin Express; add tried using "Add device", but it just keeps searching for it, and can never find it :(
I can see the device recognised by my computer as a mass storage device, but Garmin Express just cannot find it when it searches for it :(

There is also one link that says I should use Garmin Fresh instead of Garmin Express:

so I also used that; but all in vain ! Garmin Fresh still cannot recognise my Garmin device :( :(
My device info:
10R-04 6953

Status right now is that when I turn on the device, it displays the Volkswagen logo with the following info:
BL: 3.62
BT: H14423-V2R43

Is there some place where I can find the files of factory settings, and then manually transfer them to my Garmin device, so that it would at least be recognized by the Garmin Fresh software ??

Thanks a lot in advance.
volatile84 offline

Postby lugte » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 pm

My mistake. You should indeed use Garmin Fresh, not Garmin Express, for the last steps of the restore process. My apologies for any misunderstanding caused.

Thus, Step 17 should read:
The device is now empty and in the correct format and you can perform a "device restore". Start Garmin Fresh, go to the 'My navigation device' drop-down, choose 'Device restore' and proceed following the on-screen guide.
lugte offline

Postby lloydcat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Sadly Garmin Fresh can no longer be downloaded. Please could someone share the exe or pkg file to my Dropbox account so I can install and restore my Seat device?

Thanks in advance.

lloydcat offline

Postby krecik1334 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:53 am

lloydcat wrote:Sadly Garmin Fresh can no longer be downloaded. Please could someone share the exe or pkg file to my Dropbox account so I can install and restore my Seat device?

Thanks in advance.

Having the same problem as up - I need to flash the device. This URL
doesn't seem to work:

Anyone with a mirror of this by chance? Or other software that can be used to do it? Many thanks for that
krecik1334 offline

Postby wxq94396 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:04 pm

Same Problem here!
PIDv2_FlashRepair.zip ist not available at the downloadlink anymore.

Does anyone have that file and would be so kind to provide it? :)
wxq94396 offline

Postby lugte » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Unfortunately I don't have the file anymore. If anyone finds it somewhere, please PM me the link and I'll add it to the solution post.
lugte offline

Next

Return to Other