What TomTom model is that (Serial Number recognition)   

What TomTom model is that (Serial Number recognition)

Postby didziak » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm

I bricked my elderly friend's TomTom (disconnected lead whilst updating voices, sic! - and that was it) so decided to do the right thing and buy him replacement off eBay.
Having encountered multiple VIAs, STARTS without owners being aware what models are they (and no models are displayed on their cases), I was forced to use TomTom sat-nav model recognition portal here: [Please Register or Login to download file] (based on S/No).
As I felt a bit adventurous over the last weekend, decided to copy all the prefixes to spreadsheet - with OS (software) and memory size given there.
I wished also for "updateable" / "non-updateable" column, so went with extra one for "Supported by TomTom? + Maps updateable?". As I am not an expert, I went with Home = updateable, Connect = non-updateable (if I was wrong, please correct the file) :)
Please see ready file attached
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
- I am its sole author so all mistakes and errors are solely mine, but if you find it useful, please share and use!
I hope this will start its own life and get regular updates from community - as a reference point to questions: "is model [so and so] updateable?"... but maybe it was worthless waste of time :)

(I would love to see "expiration dates" added to it, if anyone would know one in advance - to see how much of "lifetime maps" there is left on one model or another - but am doubtful if this is available knowledge).
didziak offline

Re: What TomTom model is that (Serial Number recognition)

Postby pe1agp » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:56 am

Which TomTom did you demolish?
Was that via TomTom Home or Mydrive?
If it was via Home, I see no problem doing the update again, if necessary from a totally empty device.

Via Mydrive it may be a completely different story, but I expect TomTom to have a solution built in, since I do not assume that you are the only one who is disconnected
pe1agp offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby holyhead » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 am

Nice job but I must disappoint you a little.

That the device is no longer supported is only important if you have a device and buy new maps.
I think that 99 % of the member's don,t buy a map so that means you don,t need or get support from TomTom.
The charm of this kind of forums is that you can use your device with a newer navcore (even if it is 10 years old) and use new maps (so long we get meta codes from members who buy a map).

The main rule is don,t buy a second-hand device that needs to be connected with MyDrive Connect
(impossible to do some illegal work with it).
So you need a device that can be connected with TomTom Home. This not means that it is useful for your purpose so ask around or on the forum.

So if you want to know if a device use TomTom Home or MyDrive Connect look at the TT site
[Please Register or Login to download file]
example first to letters off serial number
RI
Your device is a TomTom XL 30 Series with 2GB memory and it updates through TomTom HOME.
Important:​ Your device is no longer supported through phone , and it's not possible
to buy new maps and services for your device.
You can still get help through our user forum and FAQs. More information.

This device is usefull to buy
--
AG
Your device is a TomTom Via 110 with 2GB memory and it updates through MyDrive Connect.
Important:​ Your device is no longer supported through phone , and it's not possible to
buy new maps and services for your device. You can still get help through our user forum and FAQs.
More information.

Don,t buy this device it is not usable.
--
Expiration dates of life time maps devices are not know.
When you purchase a navigation device or smartphone app which includes Lifetime Maps, you can
download 4 or more full updates of your map every year for the lifetime of your product.
Lifetime Maps are available without additional charge and for as long as the product is supported.
[Please Register or Login to download file]
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby didziak » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 pm

pe1agp wrote:Which TomTom did you demolish?
Was that via TomTom Home or Mydrive?

Start 20 - unfortunately updateable via MyDrive Connect.
I suspect now faulty connector (due to their genuine lead being LH 90° angled and offset plug) - so prolonged use on non-genuine micro USB lead would loosen the socket inside sat nav.
Charging with original TT lead does not help, soft reset (30-sec holding of power button) does neither.

Bricked it, I am afraid - but thank you for being helpful with recovery.
didziak offline

Postby didziak » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:12 pm

holyhead wrote:The main rule is don,t buy a second-hand device that needs to be connected with MyDrive Connect<br abp="390">(impossible to do some illegal work with it).<br abp="391">So you need a device that can be connected with TomTom Home. This not means that it is useful for your purpose so ask around or on the forum.

I understand the difference between two systems and updates, have both of them (Home/Connect) in my house myself.
- GO Live 750 (Win/Home OS) updated few times already (with 1030's few weeks back),
- GO 500(0?) or something (with Linux/Connect): gift from my wife (who is now sorely disappointed with lags and long booting times and swears to buy another brand next time 'as a matter of principle!').

Sorry if I did not explain it clearly in my first post.
I created that file (listing those systems as well) because as a result of my search (and verifying models again and again) I discovered that:
1) Probably 50% (or more) of sellers does not know what they are selling (no models listed on newer units) - so they take pictures of S/Nos with "4EQ50 Z1230" where you can see S/No as well;
2) I was able to source models with the largest memory (expecting services in top of the line versions) for £12-£25.

I bought now three sat navs and upon connecting them discovered that they were never updated via USB/PC (speed camera one-off still downloadable + lifetime maps but with message coming up during start-up that were not updated for 5 years :))
The bottom line is - you can either:
a) stick to Home OS and keep updating maps with FastActivate
b) get yourself "back-up unit" or "disposable unit" with lifetime maps for £10-£25, which possibly could serve you for another 2-4 years?

I can only hope this file can evolve, baton would be taken over and best advise (in the worst circumstances) on this offered and one can check quickly all differences between certain model (using FILTER), e.g. START 60 2GB (discount.)/ but 4GB + 8GB (still supported) - S/Nos WM, WN, WO.

I hope this explanation makes more sense.

Hunt result:
I have purchased another Start 20 (£21 + 2.90 P&P) and gave it to old boy as a replacement, with radical warning about using non-genuine TT leads as a reason for their premature deaths...
and I am updating my better purchases (Start 25: £25+£5 P&P and Via 135: £12 + £2.90 P&P, both S/Nos verified for 8GB memory - hoping Lifetime Map service).
I will either send one (and keep one as a back-up unit) or both to my parents (their GO unit developed some touchscreen calibration fault and keyboard types keys next 10-15mm away from touch point - if you know how to re-calibrate/teach touch screen edge/limit positions, I would appreciate help :)).

:thread_solved:
didziak offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom