Unlocking maps for GPSMAP 62s   

Unlocking maps for GPSMAP 62s

Postby krysak » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:41 pm

I have unlocked *.img maps which work OK with Oregon, but my GPSMAP 62s says: "Cannot unlock maps". Have you got any idea what can be wrong? Is there different system of unlocking in 62s? I've already tried to unlock MapSource version of map with unlocker, MapSource is happy and map is unlocked in PC, but after uploading to Garmin's SD card it dooes'nt work.
krysak offline

Postby horned » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:48 am

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the unlock procedure you are following is giving you device bound maps. Have you tried "installing" the map on the 62s through mapsource, rather than just switching cards to rule it out?
horned offline

Postby krysak » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 am

Problem solved. It's little tricky but works for 62s: first i unlocked maps with gramin unlocker for mapsource. Then uploaded them to garmin (technically to directory c:\garmin on my PC, it's way faster) and used garmin unlocker alternative on .img file.
krysak offline

Need help to load map on 62s...

Postby jean65 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:58 am

Hi krysak,

I also got the new 62s... and I am super novice with GPS operation.

I heard about unlocking of maps... but don't know how to do.
I also heard that since the unit ID is different, something must be done in order for the map to appear on new GPS62s... ???

Using Basecamp, downloaded from GARMIN website, I managed (not sure how) to retrieve some waypoints previously recorded and saved on my PC.

Can you help to provide step-by-step instruction how to load map (locked or unlocked ???) in my GPS?

Thanks in advance...
jean65 offline

Need same help loading maps too!

Postby Stuffy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 pm

I just upgraded (?) to the gps map 62 from a gpsmap 60 and am having map loading issues. In mapsource if i select metroguide and topo maps in one map group and load them to the device the unit will not separate the two map layers out in the menu so the metro guide over lays the topo and i get no detail. It (mapsource) batch loads all layes from mapsource to the unit as one layer.

Called garmin and they had no answer other than they said you should be able to engage and disable the metro guide and the topo separately. not the case when they are in one file and not accessible. you do not have an option to send various map sets in Mapsource under different names to the unit that i can find and garmin said it was not an option.

Sooo, i have to get a micro card and load topos on it and load the metro guide on the internal memory. May work if i don't use more maps, then i run out of separation options!

The old 60 enabled you to select what layers you wanted on in the map menu. Nice upgarde!!

Anyone figure this out out there?
Stuffy offline

Postby jcca » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:16 pm

krysak wrote:Problem solved. It's little tricky but works for 62s: first i unlocked maps with gramin unlocker for mapsource. Then uploaded them to garmin (technically to directory c:\garmin on my PC, it's way faster) and used garmin unlocker alternative on .img file.

I tried your method but did not work for model 62.
jcca offline

I also have problems loading unlocked maps (img) onto an sd-

Postby Rik67 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:46 pm

When i put the sd-card into the 62ST, and i connect the GPS onto the PC i can see the right map in basecamp without any problem.
When i look at the same map on the GPS, the map has got a lot of black spots and places. I have tried it with different maps, and they all have the same problems.
How longer i look, the more black spots arise.

The software version of the 62st is 4.50

Is there anyone who can solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Rik
Rik67 offline

Postby horned » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:12 pm

All I can offer you is the suggestion to try free non unlocked maps to rule out anything to do with the unlocking process. For example, topohispania. If you get black spots with that I'd start thinking about firmware or hardware issues... if you get the black spots with that try factory resetting the unit, as at least across the dakota it was necessary across a couple firmware versions or the unit would crash at random.
horned offline

Postby Rik67 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi there,

Shame, shame, shame(on me). I was trying this in the evening and the day and night adjustment for the screen was switched to automatic.

Every day i learn a bit more.

Rik
Rik67 offline

Return to Software