zumo 590 upgrade to zumo 595   

zumo 590 upgrade to zumo 595

Postby BertImpetigo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:41 am

Hello everyone,

Newbie here, so apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge and stupidity!

I have a Zumo 590, Branded as "Harley-Davidson Roadtech". It turns out, unknown to me when I bought it, that it's a Dealer Demo version. That means no pre-installed maps (and thus no lifetime updates) and only 4GB RAM (Garmin's own 590 has 16GB, standard HD version has 8GB.)

I want to use the whole of Western Europe region maps, and as 4GB isn't big enough, I guess that means a GMAPSUPP.IMG on an SD Card?

Assuming I'm right, does that method give me junction view, 3-D buildings and terrain?

Now, I do have an ordinary Garmin Zumo 590 (firmware upgraded to 595) with lifetime upgrades, and using "UnLock MapSource.exe" I seem to be able to unlock the maps for that when they are installed to the computer. Using Mapinstall before they are unlocked shows nothing available for the RT Zumo, but after running the unlock program, the maps are shown as available. However, the 4GB RAM on the RT Zumo is not enough to install to the device. Mapinstall allows me to install to an SD Card, but only recognises it as 4GB too, regardless of its actual size (16GB). That's another problem I guess I need to solve.....

I tested though, buy choosing a small region. However, the RT Zumo still shows "Cannot unlock maps" when it boots. That makes me think I also need patched firmware for it? I've looked at that thread, but there seems to be no listing for a Zumo 590 - presumably because the ordinary ones come with lifetime maps!

A little more complicated too, because I do want to also upgrade the RT Zumo 590's firmware to the ordinary Zumo's 595 (I know that can be done) because I need the TPMS feature which is not included on the RT 590.

So, please can someone point a stupid newbie in the right direction?

From GarminDevice.xml, as it is currently:

<Model>
<PartNumber>006-B1796-00</PartNumber>
<SoftwareVersion>330</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>zūmo 590</Description>

And as I expect it to be with the 595 firmware upgrade (assuming the PartNumber doesn't change):

<Model>
<SoftwareVersion>460</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>Zumo 590</Description>

Thanks!
BertImpetigo offline

Re: Interesting one - can someone help?

Postby BertImpetigo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:09 pm

A little bit of progress. I copied the Gupdate.gcd file off the Zumo, and ran it through the IMGPatcher, and went through the update procedure. I then used Mapinstall to install some of the map sections previously unlocked by "UnLock MapSource.exe". However, I still got the "Can't Unlock Maps" message on booting. So I uninstalled them again, and then ran a gmapsupp.img file that I found on the internet through gimgunlock and stuck that on a 16GB SD card. That worked! However, rather than relying on what I found on the internet, it would be great to use the map updates off my other 590 when I get them That seems to have no gmapsupp file anywhere, but does have a bunch of other .img files, the biggest being gmapprom.img. It also has a "Map" folder in the system folder with a bunch of .gma files, and their associated .unl files, plus a D4935200.img file.

Is there something I can do with these to work with them instead of a gmapsupp file?
BertImpetigo offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:19 am

BertImpetigo wrote:Hello everyone,

Newbie here, so apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge and stupidity!

I have a Zumo 590, Branded as "Harley-Davidson Roadtech". It turns out, unknown to me when I bought it, that it's a Dealer Demo version. That means no pre-installed maps (and thus no lifetime updates) and only 4GB RAM (Garmin's own 590 has 16GB, standard HD version has 8GB.)

I want to use the whole of Western Europe region maps, and as 4GB isn't big enough, I guess that means a GMAPSUPP.IMG on an SD Card?

Assuming I'm right, does that method give me junction view, 3-D buildings and terrain?

Now, I do have an ordinary Garmin Zumo 590 (firmware upgraded to 595) with lifetime upgrades, and using "UnLock MapSource.exe" I seem to be able to unlock the maps for that when they are installed to the computer. Using Mapinstall before they are unlocked shows nothing available for the RT Zumo, but after running the unlock program, the maps are shown as available. However, the 4GB RAM on the RT Zumo is not enough to install to the device. Mapinstall allows me to install to an SD Card, but only recognises it as 4GB too, regardless of its actual size (16GB). That's another problem I guess I need to solve.....

I tested though, buy choosing a small region. However, the RT Zumo still shows "Cannot unlock maps" when it boots. That makes me think I also need patched firmware for it? I've looked at that thread, but there seems to be no listing for a Zumo 590 - presumably because the ordinary ones come with lifetime maps!

A little more complicated too, because I do want to also upgrade the RT Zumo 590's firmware to the ordinary Zumo's 595 (I know that can be done) because I need the TPMS feature which is not included on the RT 590.

So, please can someone point a stupid newbie in the right direction?

From GarminDevice.xml, as it is currently:

<Model>
<SoftwareVersion>330</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>zūmo 590</Description>

And as I expect it to be with the 595 firmware upgrade (assuming the PartNumber doesn't change):

<Model>
<SoftwareVersion>460</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>Zumo 590</Description>

Thanks!

Not sure if you have sorted yourself out , but your post is not in the Garmin section and the title is very general so has been overlooked.(I'll move this thread later)
Anyway welcome to the forum.
Both devices are the same, just branded differently. The firmware for a zumo 595 is NOT the same HWID 2436 I would not use it on your zumo 590's or you could end up with a brick.(Although it seems you have already done it ?)

zumo 590 | 1796 | 330 | MAP: Yes | GMA: Yes | MSV: Weak | GVS: Yes | File: zumo590_330.gcd

zumo 590 006-B1796-00 Release 3.30 [Please Register or Login to download file]
[Please Register or Login to download file] (72320 Kb)

What maps does the LM zumo have, as you don't say ?
gmapsupp & gmapprom are just the way Garmin name the map .img for SD card(supplemental maps ) or on the device (Preprogramed maps).
I would just Patch your device to be able to use unlocked maps as the maps you want are NTU
[Please Register or Login to download file]
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby BertImpetigo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks for your reply, and for the welcome, GarmanNuvi! Apologies for posting in the wrong place!

Yes, I got everything working on the HD 590 with the 595 upgrade, and it's happy with unlocked maps, split between the 4GB onboard and a 16GB card. Junction view works too. :-)

(My LM 590 has Europe maps- still upgrade hppily after the 595 firmware is installed.)

The 595 upgrade to a 590 is well known, and works happily. Process documented here: [Please Register or Login to download file] and no real danger of a brick, I'm pleased to say - I've done three separate Zumos 590-595 upgrade.

My residual problem is the Splash screen - I've posted elsewhere on the forum with that (I hope it's in the right place this time!)

Thanks again!
BertImpetigo offline

Return to General Discussions about Garmin