how do i change the font???   

how do i change the font???

Postby stagman1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:24 pm

I have been trying to find out how to change the font from the current one to the digital font i have on igo primo.
Can someone please tell me how to do this?
I have looked in every menu and sub menu on igo but i cant find anything that says change font style!!
Maybe i am being a bit thick but i have differant fonts in the font folder but i just cannot get to the damn things!
I am running igo at 480*800 res on a mediatek win ce 6 nav
i would also like to change the font size if possible and the backgrounds to the various things on screen,ie distance to end,time to end and so forth.
i have got dimka skins from 172 to 174.
i have been trying to figure this out for some time and i just cannot find out how the hell it is done!

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

dave
stagman1 offline

Re: how do i change the font???

Postby JmaCWQ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Some skins give you the ability to change the font, Decent skin is one that does I think.
Not sure about the Dimka skins though.
Otherwise it has to be changed in the DATA.ZIP file.
Get your desired fonts, rename them to exactly the same as the fonts are named inside DATA.ZIP\ui_igo9\fonts folder.
Replace the originals with your new ones.
Delete the Save folder (back it up first if you want to keep any saved tracks etc.) from the root directory before running Primo again.
Before you do anything though, make a complete backup of your working Primo so if it breaks it can simply be replaced with the backup.

Changing the font sizes can be more complicated, unless there's a sys.txt entry that covers it I think the sizes for various font displays are changed in the template.css, the .ini, the .ui and perhaps other files in the various folders (800_480, common etc.) within DATA.ZIP
If using a skin the ones inside the skin's relevant folders might affect things too.
Possibly also .vpr (polygon co-ordinates) files depending on what it is you want to change, I've had to change some of them in iGO8 & Primo skins to get the desired results, though the ones I've changed have been for small image-like displays on the screen like POI direction arrows & letters on a small circular compass etc..

Don't unzip/rezip your DATA.ZIP & don't work on it while it's on the device.
Copy it to the PC & work on it there, then when finished delete the one from the device and paste the edited one back to the device.
Depending on what I'm wanting to change I can make up to 3 copies of DATA.ZIP or a skin file when making changes, one to keep as a working original in case I break something, one to make the changes in & paste back to the device when all changes are made and the 3rd to actually unzip (discard when finished) to find any images or other files I might want to change, which is probably the quickest way to find them.
Use WinRAR version 4 or lower and I think Total Commander also works, once you're ready to replace something open the DATA.ZIP in WinRAR, replace whatever it is by dragging and dropping where it's supposed to go & just click ok, yes etc. when it asks.
This can be done without actually un-zipping, but working within WinRAR itself.
Once finished & saved etc. paste it back onto the device replacing the original, by first deleting it not overwriting.
If I remember I usually rename the working original on the device itself to OLD_DATA.ZIP or something similar, then if I break something or get sick of trying to do whatever I'm doing and give up, it's just a matter of renaming it back to DATA.ZIP & removing any that failed to get a working Primo again.

Backgrounds could be in either the skin or DATA.ZIP files, trial and error and experimenting with those, sometimes you can work out what they are by what they're named, other times it's not so easy.
They're mostly all compressed .BMP files, use a program like iPAQ31x to browse the compressed files with and also uncompress them so they can be worked on if required.
I usually uncompress them to .png files as a lot of them have transparency, work on them with GIMP, save when happy with changes, then use iPAQ31x to recompress them to iGO's compressed .BMP format.
Replace any files in skins the same way as DATA.ZIP, do not unzip/rezip but open within WinRAR, replace anything, then ok, save etc..

Good luck :)
Last edited by JmaCWQ on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JmaCWQ offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby stagman1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:23 pm

thanks for that i will give it a try.
I have downloaded decent skin but im having trouble with that as well.it doeas not show up when i click on display to change the skin.i will work on it and see if i can get it to work.
once again thanks for your help.
dave
stagman1 offline

Postby JmaCWQ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:34 pm

No probs.
Skins not showing up to be selected usually means it doesn't have the correct resolution for the device it's on, there's possibly other reasons too but I don't know of any.
JmaCWQ offline

Postby stagman1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:16 pm

nope! cannot get anything to work i even tried a few igo skin editors that were supposed to work but still cant do a bloody thing.
tried what you said and replaced the font but i had to make a font folder but no.i cant even see my skin in igo for me to try it so to hell with it.
dave
stagman1 offline

Postby JmaCWQ » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:07 pm

Just to clarify, you're wanting to change the font in iGO Primo or the font in iGO8?
Where did you put the created Font folder?
I've changed font once on a version of Primo I use, it had to be changed inside the DATA.ZIP file in the folder ui_igo9\fonts.

If the skins worked before you tried to change anything then something has gone wrong in the process of changing.
If they didn't work even before trying to change something it's possible they're not the correct skins.
I've never been able to make any skin editor work, they don't play nice on a Linux system, any editing I've done has been by changing something manually myself then replacing it in the skin.
JmaCWQ offline

Return to Skins