Strange issue with Primo 2.4 on Rosen head-unit   

Strange issue with Primo 2.4 on Rosen head-unit

Postby jtrosky » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Ever since switching to Primo 2.4 (from iGo 8), I've noticed that sometimes during my trip, I would lose all audio output on the GPS side of thing (all radio functions continue to work normally). I have a Rosen DS-GM1010-P11 head-unit which uses WinCE 5.0 for the GPS side of things. When I lose audio output, the ONLY way to get the GPS audio back is to power the unit off and back on - exiting the GPS app and restarting it doesn't even fix it, which tells me the issue is with the head-unit itself.

The only thing that I can figure is that it's running out of RAM? The unit has 128MB of RAM.

Is there any sys.txt parameter that may help me out and reduce or limit the amount of RAM that Primo attempts to use? I know there are some memory-related parameters, but not really clear on how they how (such as reserved_memory, tts_buffer, etc). Right now, I'm not using any memory-related parameters in my sys.txt.

Thank you for any input you may have! This issue NEVER happened on iGo8 and Primo works flawlessly otherwise.

EDIT: I just realize that this is probably better suited for the general discussion foroum - mods, please feel free to move if that is the case. Thank you!
jtrosky offline

Re: Strange issue with Primo 2.4 on Rosen head-unit

Postby mozzarela » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:08 pm

Hello.I dont think this is memory related.It seems its hardware problem.Anyway you could add to sys.txt

[debug]
reserve_memory=12582912

this way it wont use all 128mb of memory, it will leave 12mb free for device.
mozzarela offline

Postby jtrosky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 pm

I might agree that it's a hardware problem except for the fact it's happened on multiple radios (I've had more than one of the same radio) and ONLY happens with Primo 2.4 - never happens with iGo 8, Primo 1.1 or even Primo 2.0.

It might just be an issue with the particular version of 2.4 I'm using too. I have recently upgraded to a newer version of 2.4 - so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the info on the memory parameter.
jtrosky offline

Postby mozzarela » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:21 pm

If that is so,then it must be primo version.try another version and see if problem still persist.Also you can paste content of sys.txt here,maybe its some line in there causing problem,or you could use sys.txt from primo 2.0
mozzarela offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 pm

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

On my Mio C320 device, I have iGO8 [the best], Primo 1.1 [which I think was the best Primo], Amigo [better than Primo] and Garmin Mobile XT. On my Samsung S5 Android phone, I have Primo 2.4 which I just modified to my needs. Point being, what's old is what's new.

Just my opinion.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby jtrosky » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:04 am

Yeah, I too really liked iGo 8 also, and until recently stuck with it. But then I found that Primo really is more useful when actually navigating. For example, showing the gas and food options easily at the next few upcoming highway exists. That is just one example of where Primo has better functionality.

iGo 8 on the other hand is faster, smoother and more customizable (especially the Loquendo 6 TTS voices - I love how much you can customize them - it's a lot harder with Nuance or Loquendo 7). I'm still torn on which to use, but right now, I want to get Primo 2.4 working 100%.

I really can't pinpoint the issue with the version of 2.4 that I was using. It's strange because restarting iGo (exiting and restarting) doesn't resolve the problem (which points to a hardware-related issue), but since it happens across multiple units and ONLY with 2.4, I don't think it's hardware.

When this issue happens, the music audio still quiets when a GPS instruction is playing, but there is no voice from iGo (actually, the voice *is* still there, but it's so quiet that it's almost impossible to hear at all) - and the only way to get it back is to remove power from the unit and restart it. It's really strange. Although, I just recently found that my data.zip was causing hard resets when clicking on a maneuver in the Itinerary list as well - fixed that with a different data.zip, so who knows maybe it was an issue with the data.zip that caused the issue.

So far so good with 9.6.13.405512 with proper data.zip. Maybe it was just an iGo setup issue after all. Will keep researching and diagnosing though!
jtrosky offline

Postby jtrosky » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Just wanted to post an update to this issue... So I had removed everything that I didn't need from my Primo SD card and everything was working perfectly - no more "loss of voice" issues. The today, I put the Nuance voices back on the SD card - so I had both Loquendo 7 voices (and supporting files) and Nuance TTS voices (and supporting files). During a short trip, the voices worked fine on the way there - on the way home, I ran into the problem again (before I even pulled away from where I was).

So I have a feeling that the problem is related to having both the Nuance and Loquendo TTS engines installed at the same time.... The strange part is that there is no rhyme or reason as to when the voices stop working... Seems random. When the problem happens, it's very similar to what I see when trying to use dynamic volume.

Just an update! Will remove the Nuance voices again and hopefully won't run into the issue anymore...
jtrosky offline

Return to Program (+data.zip+branding.zip+license)