Valor ddn-868w with gogo maps from engistech   

Valor ddn-868w with gogo maps from engistech

Postby masterbeta » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 am

hi there!

i have a valor ddn-868w double-din with 6.3" screen (800x480 i believe) - and it comes with a micro sd card with gogo maps 2011 from engistech

basically i wanted to know if this can be replaced with another gps maps system such as garmin?

i've scoured the internet (well, googled mostly) about engistech and gogo maps - and practically no info available...

can anyone help?

just curious to try out other gps software onto this system

so far that i know - it runs wince 5.0
i don't know how to dig into the unit further if you need more info...

thanks in advance!! :)

just want to see my options :)
masterbeta offline

Postby masterbeta » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:34 pm

here is some info i pulled off the gogo ini file:

[Software\WinCESoft\GAPI for HPCs]
CustomDeviceDesc="MStar Semiconductor, 800x480, CE 5.0"
CustomDeviceOEM="MStar Semiconductor"
CustomDevicePlatform="Semiconductor EVB"
CustomDeviceMajorOSVersion=5
CustomDeviceMinorOSVersion=0
CustomDeviceFBSizeX=800
CustomDeviceFBSizeY=480
CustomDeviceFBColorDepth=16
CustomDeviceFBOrigin=0
CustomDeviceFBAddress=168820736
CacheEnable=1
FirstLaunch=0
PreferedDevice=1

if that helps?

thanks in advance
masterbeta offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:49 pm

masterbeta wrote:hi there!

i have a valor ddn-868w double-din with 6.3" screen (800x480 i believe) - and it comes with a micro sd card with gogo maps 2011 from engistech

basically i wanted to know if this can be replaced with another gps maps system such as garmin?

i've scoured the internet (well, googled mostly) about engistech and gogo maps - and practically no info available...

can anyone help?

just curious to try out other gps software onto this system

so far that i know - it runs wince 5.0
i don't know how to dig into the unit further if you need more info...

thanks in advance!! :)

just want to see my options :)

You sure can! What is the memory of your device? I would recommend iGO8 or Primo rather than Garmin or TomTom.

EDIT: BTW, where is your home? Might be important for maps.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby masterbeta » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 am

hi there!! thanks for the reply!!

i honestly don't know the memory of this unit - i can't seem to find that info of memory or processor... the owner's manual doesn't list the "computer" specs - only the radio specs, dvd, navi, frequencies, etc.... is there a way i could check? i can't seem to find anyone else with this unit so i'm at a loss

yay i'm excited to hear of the possibilities! :) call me a super-newbie here with this stuff - so i'd like to try out all 4 options you mentioned! (whichever is easiest of course) :)

i am in the USA

thanks again in advance! - let me know what you need and i will try to figure it out! :)
masterbeta offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 pm

masterbeta wrote:hi there!! thanks for the reply!!

i honestly don't know the memory of this unit - i can't seem to find that info of memory or processor... the owner's manual doesn't list the "computer" specs - only the radio specs, dvd, navi, frequencies, etc.... is there a way i could check? i can't seem to find anyone else with this unit so i'm at a loss

yay i'm excited to hear of the possibilities! :) call me a super-newbie here with this stuff - so i'd like to try out all 4 options you mentioned! (whichever is easiest of course) :)

i am in the USA

thanks again in advance! - let me know what you need and i will try to figure it out! :)

First, since you're from the USA [as I am], let me throw out some of my thoughts and suggestions. Since you don't know your device's memory I am going to assume that it has at least 64MB RAM. While you can use Primo, my recommendation is to use iGO8. Let me say this to you. I have a friend who lives in another state in the US and he was using my iGO8 and Primo 1.1. He upgraded to Primo 2.0 - hated it because it didn't navigate so well and went back to my Primo 1.1. He DOES like my iGO8 as well as 1.1 but since he has an audio cradle that increases sound, he uses 1.1 as his first choice. FYI, I increased the audio level in my iGO8 in the program itself plus I included the red light cameras. Personally, I like my iGO8 much better but I included links to both here and you can make the choice yourself. Extract the program folder to your SD card using "Winrar" and make sure that the path to the program points to the program. Also, add the necessary contents.

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-5-2011
http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?5500-November-Primo-1.1-from-my-device

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby masterbeta » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:19 pm

hi thanks again! i've just extracted the igo and will see what happens!

i don't understand what you mean by making sure the path points to the program? and about the content? do i need to change the resolution to 800x480 on the sys.txt file? it shows 480x272
masterbeta offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:38 pm

masterbeta wrote:hi thanks again! i've just extracted the igo and will see what happens!

i don't understand what you mean by making sure the path points to the program? and about the content? do i need to change the resolution to 800x480 on the sys.txt file? it shows 480x272

Igo is the main company [so to speak] so which one did you download - iGO8 or Primo 1.1? If iGO8, yes, go to the sys.txt and change the 480_272 to 800_480. Also here http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?7708-Help!-Installing-iGO-8.3-Picture-goes-all-white-and-rolls!&highlight=chas521 post #15. The path is the path to the .exe in the program. Content are the maps, pois, etc.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby masterbeta » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:11 pm

ok got it! i changed the resolution in the sys.txt file

my poi folder is empty and the map folder has 1 basemap file...

so basically, i just need to put this all on the sd card and boot up ?

i suppose a dumb question would be where do i get the igo8 maps and poi stuff? :)
masterbeta offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 pm

masterbeta wrote:ok got it! i changed the resolution in the sys.txt file

my poi folder is empty and the map folder has 1 basemap file...

so basically, i just need to put this all on the sd card and boot up ?

i suppose a dumb question would be where do i get the igo8 maps and poi stuff? :)

Tell me your state. Maybe I can help you with my maps and stuff or you can go here to the iGO maps sub-section. You want Navteq maps and TA POIs.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby masterbeta » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 am

got it awesome! everything works!! - only thing i "edited" was the sys text file for the display info per your #15 post :)

so i can confirm igo8 works flawlessly on the valor ddn-868w :)
masterbeta offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:18 pm

masterbeta wrote:got it awesome! everything works!! - only thing i "edited" was the sys text file for the display info per your #15 post :)

so i can confirm igo8 works flawlessly on the valor ddn-868w :)

Excellent! Enjoy your device and thanks for the follow-up.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby masterbeta » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:18 am

yes :) - i look forward to helping others in the future who would happen to have this same head unit :) thanks again for all your help!!

at some point i will figure out the actual specs of this unit for ram/processor etc... and will post
masterbeta offline

Postby 310kid » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:52 am

I am totally new to this, I had searched "Valor 868w GPS update " and I happen to come across this thread on the Internet search engine. I registered myself and I am glad I ran across this site. I have read everything from page 1 but I'm just a bit confused on what's "Winrar?" I would really like to update/make my maps look better with IG08 or primo. Is it possible?
310kid offline

Postby masterbeta » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:22 pm

i still cannot get primo 1.1 or primo 2 to work on this device, however the igo8 works just great - i still actually prefer the looks of the map on the original gogo software...

no offense, but if you don't know what winrar is - then this forum might not be the best place for you lol - google search is your friend :)

suffice to say - winrar is an unzipping program...
masterbeta offline

Postby chas521 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:52 am

310kid wrote:I am totally new to this, I had searched "Valor 868w GPS update " and I happen to come across this thread on the Internet search engine. I registered myself and I am glad I ran across this site. I have read everything from page 1 but I'm just a bit confused on what's "Winrar?" I would really like to update/make my maps look better with IG08 or primo. Is it possible?

Welcome to Navitotal. As was said by masterbeta, "Winrar" is a free shareware zipping program that is used to see the various files/folders that can be downloaded from here. Downloads that have the extension .rar or .zip are packed with those files. Winrar can be gotten here [Please Register or Login to download file] You don't have to buy it to make it work forever.

EDIT: You can download this http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?9394-WinRAR-4.11-Final-%2832-64-bit%29-%E2%80%A2-Registered-version However, for it to be registered, you must know how to use the crack. Actually, it may not need a crack. I haven't done it in so long. Make sure you download the correct version.

You will need Winrar first before you can see the download in the edit.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to Other