GPS lock problem   

GPS lock problem

Postby siberian » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:56 pm

I have a Maisun unit, running iGo8.3 in a 2008 VW Touareg and I'm having a lot of problems getting consistent and reliable sat lock. The GPS Rx is on left hand front dash so it should be OK since I have another 2008 V8 Touareg with factory Nav that has no problem getting a sat lock despite the fact that we're near 66 degrees North.

My question is will a, for example, Gillson amplified GPS Rx help or is it the Maisun unit that's just flaky (it's been a real challenge getting this unit to work ...).

TIA for any help/suggestions

siberian
The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby siberian » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:27 am

Just installed a Gilsson SMA-M Amplified GPS Antenna, Item #: SMA-M and it seems to have done the trick. We've had a bit of a snow flurry, fog and generally standard weather for Alaska, with temps in the -40F and so far it's holding the signal.

Problem after researching this is that the unit polls every second and the fact I'm 66 degrees North made it loose lock. Will give it a few more days before claiming victory, but for 20 bucks it's looking good!!!!

Well a bit premature. I did loose lock but what used to happen at least 5 times on a 40 mile trip, happened only once in a wooden area with fog and snow. Not perfect, but a marked improvement.

siberian
The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Return to Other