Want to update maps Nextar M3   

Want to update maps Nextar M3

Postby gsthunder » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:32 am

This is an older, cheap, Nextar unit from 2008 but it is all my Sister has and I would like to try and update the maps( 2007 )if possible. Nextar apparently is gone now and I read somewhere Tom Tom took them over? No help on Tom Tom. Naviextras has some Nextar support but not this model. You guys helped me a while ago update the maps on an automotive unit so I thought I would give this a shot.

GPS Unit Info:
Mfg: Nextar
Model: M3
Version: 5.5 ( Build 976.1311 )
Maps : Navteq

[Please Register or Login to download file]

It appears the actual operating/gps system( not sure what it is - has a NAVIGON logo )is loaded on the unit itself and just the maps are on an SD card. There are only 3 files on the sd card...

America( folder )
Alaska( folder )
Device ID ( text document )

The Device ID info is...

<DeviceInfo>
<DID>"Nextar_GPS_010+2lcxt2cabi5h5ccuwv4gt4gtlpgwyhjkqet2dtp"</DID>
</DeviceInfo>

In the America folder the list of maps( I assume )are all titled DCA.#.##.ZDL files and based on the # of them( 30 )there isn't one for each state. In addition to the DCA files there are also these...

0.ZDL
CARTOTOP.ZDL
default ( not sure what the file type is - not ZDL )
INIT.ZDL
KDTREE.ZDL
MultiRegion_City.NL ( says it is an NL file )

In the Alaska folder the files are SDL not ZDL files. They are as follows...

0.SDL
CARTOTOP.SDL
DCA10.21.SDL ( the map I assume )
INIT.SDL
KDTREE.SDL
MultiRegion_City.NL ( says it is an NL file )

I hooked a USB cable to the devise to see what I could see on the device itself but my computer doesn't see anything? Doesn't appear I can access it. I am not sure what info I need for help so I have provided what I can and if you need more just ask.

I understand if this can't be done but it would be nice if there was some way to just update the maps. I don't need to load another gps system even though I would love to run IGO8. More work than it would be worth even if it could most likely. If you can help me update the maps that would be wonderful.

Thank you in advance.
gsthunder offline

Re: Want to update maps Nextar M3

Postby gsthunder » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:18 am

Quick little update on info given above...

The SD card actually has 2 main file folders on it when you 1st open it. One is called OdysseyMaps and it has all the info I gave above^^^. The other is called OdysseyVoices and it has the voice files for the various languages. Not sure this really matters for what I want but figured I better update the info above. I forgot I had opened the OdyseeyMpas file to get the info I gave above.
gsthunder offline

Re: Want to update maps Nextar M3

Postby gsthunder » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:59 am

Update 2

I tried plugging the USB cable into my laptop and it recognized the device and downloaded a program that allowed me to access the devices HD. I now have access to that if it helps.
gsthunder offline

Return to Other Systems