updating Myguide maps   

updating Myguide maps

Postby geomcewan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:41 pm

I have a Myguide sat nav system with maps that areolder than gods dog. Is there any way of updating this or do I have to buy another model altogether. Thanks in advance.....
geomcewan offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:52 pm

You can replace the original software with another to get the latest maps, iGO 8/Primo is a popular alternative.
Use the forum search function, There are loads of threads about these devices...
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby geomcewan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:54 pm

I have tried some of the stuff like copying map files but to no avail. In windows 7 I can see the directory structure, but don't know which files to copy over as the satnav doesn't seem to do anything with the sd card
geomcewan offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:00 pm

If you just copy "our" maps to the device then it won't work, You will need to replace the navigation application, It is just a case of replacing the existing app folder with one from this site, and renaming the new folder and application.exe to match the original, Then tweak it to run on your device with your required maps
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby geomcewan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 pm

I have all the iGO stuff on the sd card. Which "apps" folder is it I should replace? Sorry if I seem to be missing the obvious.....
geomcewan offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:07 pm

The iGO stuff that's already on the device, Is it the original software for the device? Is so then replace the whole folder with one from this site, be sure to rename the folder\file.exe to match the original so the device can find it.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby geomcewan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:00 am

There does seem to be some igo stuff on the device, but when I change the .exe file I get an error message on start up. I don't want to delete all the original folders, but would that work?
geomcewan offline

Postby geomcewan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 am

Sorry, that doesn't sound quite right. I'm assuming the device is like a computer, so if I remove all the existing folders and then replace them with the igo folders on the sd card, would the thing start up? As long as the existing folders are backed up of course.
geomcewan offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am

Backup the device to your computer first.

The device is similar to a pc, but it is only designed to run one programme, So you need to trick the system to run something else by REPLACING (the new programme must have the same folder\file.exe names) the original programme, In most cases you can't just install programmes like on a pc, Sometimes you can exploit the upgrade procedure by having certain files on a SD card instead.

Hopefully that explains it a bit.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby geomcewan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:24 pm

I have tried copying the files using original names, but when I start up, the MyGuide launcher comes up with an error message concerning ctype.dat. Which file is the MyGuide launcher so I can edit it to the new settings?
geomcewan offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Before you do that, Read this guide, some MyGuide device's are similar hardware to Binatone's, It may utilize SHELL.ini to launch another application.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Other Systems