Post a reply

RoadAngel Navigator 7000 (WinCE 4.2)

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi Folks

I have a Road Angel Navigator 7000 that runs WinCE 4.2 and still works fine. It also has Memory Map on the device that displays Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 maps, and makes use of the GPS positioning data to create routes, tracks, etc. I don't use Memory Map that often, but it is nice to have in a hand held unit.

The SatNav is OK, but the out of date maps (2006) are becoming a pain, and new by-passes, etc. do cause it some confusion! The map files appear to be called:

united-kingdom_mre_map.cdt
ta_uk_en_en_cg.cdt

So, my question is whether any other system uses that format, from which I can obtain some up to date maps?

Regards

Pete

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 pm

No other software I know uses that format for maps, although I would expect ordinance survey to produce updated maps, but whether they will be in the format memory map expects is another question.

It may be easier and quicker to change the software to iGO, for which the maps are readily available?

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Memory Map is not the problem. That is just an additional application on the device. The Road Angel satnav bit is the basis of the query.

Quicker? Me??! It is possible I suppose, so I will see what can be done...

Pete

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:33 pm

This is going to be an older device, so it's probably best to keep it simple with a minimal version of iGO8. You are still able to use the latest maps with a minimal version.

It should be a case of replacing the original application with iGO, And when I say replace, I mean the iGO folder and executable must be renamed to match the original.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi

It is with total amazement that I sit here having just run through the Setting Choices for your suggested application. :D

On the new SD card I left the Road Angel folder containing the shell then copied over iGo.exe and changed it to HoluxNavi.exe. Everything else was deleted and then the iGo stuff copied across. On powering up the old menu appeared and satnav could be selected. Doing that took me into the set up. Once set up the normal start page appeared. I have yet to see if it will pick up a satellite, but I must say I am impressed to have go so far.

Well done!

Regards

Pete

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi

I felt that an update was in order, so here is the progress for today. I have checked the unit with a route and it would not find a satellite so, as advised in the 'How To' section, I went in and edited the Sys.txt file. Changing the [gps] port=2 to port=1 was all that was required.

Finally, the issue of screen resolution needed to be addressed. With a 3.5" diagonal screen measurement I feel that 480 by 272 is pushing it a bit espcially if, like me, you are old and have less than perfect eyesight. I have edited [interface] and [rawdisplay] down to 320 X 240 as the Guide to putting iGo on WinCE suggests that resolution is supported. However, I have received an error message that no skin of that resolution was available on the card to load.

So, I have downloaded a 320 X 240 skin (GJA_320x240 v2.21.1) and copied the zip files into \content\skin, a folder that did not exist before. However, the machine does not like that and came up with the error message "User interface 320 X 240 is not supported or compatible skin cannot be found". I then searched for the 480 X 272 skin which was hiding in a Zip file called Data. I removed the content\skin folders and then appended the contents of the 320 X 240 skin to the Data Zip file, allowing later versions to replace older where file names were the same.

With this set up iGo begins to load in the right resolution, but part way through comes up with "Failed to open file street_name_left.spr" and then exits back to the CE menu. That leaves me puzzled as I have not seen a .spr file anywhere yet. As ever, any thoughts would be welcome.

Regards

Pete

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Some skins, notably dimka, need a special data.zip.

But you don't actually need the skin.
The error is confusing.

COPY the data.zip to your pc and open it, look in the ui_igo8 folder, you should see a 320_240 folder, if not find another build of igo8 that supports the resolution and download it, anything uploaded by chas521 will do, then replace the data.zip from the new to the existing.
As you've had crashes, delete the save folder as it holds onto faulty settings and data and could cause further problems (this is a factory reset for igo, a new folder will be created)

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have basically followed it and kept on hitting the proverbial brick wall. It was then that I wondered about Version Control and established that there were at least two versions kicking about on my HD. The one on the SD card that works in 480X240 is iGo Primo 8.5.9.142948. However, I think the 320 X 240 folder that I managed to find was from probably from something earlier. That I suspect lies at the bottom of my problems as reverting to 480 X 272 in the .SYS file gives me a working machine.

So, I will need to hunt a 320 X 240 folder that is compatible...

Regards

Pete

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:06 pm

This is the version we recommend http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6880-Igo8-March-16-2011

Scroll down to post #3 to see how to 'minimize' it.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:12 am

Hi Folks

Thanks for the advice and resources.

I have finally got the Road Angel box running correctly in 320X240 with up to date maps, satellite reception, etc. so I am well pleased.

For those trying to do something similar, you may be interested to know that the version of iGo 8 from Chas521 seems not to have a fully working 320X240 folder in the data.zip file. Further internet searching on the error message "failed to open [email protected]" has identified that there are a number of problems/bugs in the 320X240 folder of versions of iGo8. The Australian site FixmyGPS.info claimed to offer a download of the corrected folder, but last time I looked the links were still dead. If it gets fixed I will pass the data along.

My final solution was to look back at the bootleg version of igo9 that first set me looking for maps where I discovered there was a 320X240 folder in the data.zip file. I then copied that into the equivalent folder for your slim version of Primo 2 and set it to work. Everything ran straight away.

I think we can call this thread "Solved"

Many thanks.

Pete

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:35 am

Generally when missing files are concerned they can be copied from the 480_272 folder within the data.zip to the 320_240 folder.
The missing house number error is common on 320x240
Post a reply