Navman??   

Navman??

Postby OzAndrew » Thu May 20, 2010 2:20 am

Hey everyone, looking forward to this forum getting bigger'n'better! Need to polish up my German I think!

Quick question: Is there going to be anything relating to older NavMan devices? I couldn't find a darn thing. (I have an S80 - yes, I know it's getting on a bit, but it still works fine, so...)

I seem to recall a fair bit of info about these on "Another Forum" (including an unlock), but can't find anything here at all!

Cheers - Andrew
OzAndrew offline

Postby yoff » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Was some Navman info available here.

[Please Register or Login to download file]
yoff offline

Postby yoff » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:53 pm

OzAndrew wrote:Hey everyone, looking forward to this forum getting bigger'n'better! Need to polish up my German I think!

Quick question: Is there going to be anything relating to older NavMan devices? I couldn't find a darn thing. (I have an S80 - yes, I know it's getting on a bit, but it still works fine, so...)

I seem to recall a fair bit of info about these on "Another Forum" (including an unlock), but can't find anything here at all!

Cheers - Andrew

S80 version stuff here.

yoff offline

Postby OzAndrew » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks a heap yoff! I think the first link is similar to what I found before. Don't know why I couldn't find it now!
The sedond link - that's magic. The ability to boot off an SD card, then simply remove the card to restore the device is brilliant. I think I'll give that a shot.
Thanks again!
Andrew
OzAndrew offline

Postby PinguWaaWaa » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Instead of making a whole new thread, I'll tack my question (which would have been titled the same as this thread) here.

What software does the Navman actually use? I like the way you can type in an address from the start (rather than with my iGo Primo - country, then state, then city, then road...-which I find frustrating).
If I can find out what software it uses, then maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to download it and use it on my GPS.
The Navman that I want to find out about is the MY55 (or similar).
I live in New Zealand, and STACKS of people have them here.

I'd appreciate any assistance.
Thank you!
PinguWaaWaa offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Good luck! ;)
Navman uses their own software called SmartST.
Since it is a closed system you won't have any chance getting it to work on other devices - same goes for the maps, there are no maps available for Navman you have to buy them.
Since TT is not really improoving the maps for AU and NZ I already got a second GPS running Windows and several other softwares like Garmin, Igo, Primo and OZI Explorer.
With most GPS solutions you can simply type in the street and get a list for the towns and suburbs to choose from.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby PinguWaaWaa » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Heh, maybe I'll give up on the Navman idea then... lol.
With Primo, it's annoying that you have to put everything in reverse order. I like the way the Navman interface works, as you can type the number, then street, then it gives you multiple options to choose from. Primo is the reverse of that.
Are there any other GPS software packs that have a similar "Add the number and street first" interface? If there are, I might go for them instead.
It'll help me heaps, as every day I have to type in up to 20 way-points for my trip for work and it gets tiresome having to change the city/region each time. (I travel anywhere up to 500kms per day, so not all way-points are in the same city/region)
PinguWaaWaa offline

Postby OzAndrew » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm certainly no expert (that should be obvious), but...
My S80 runs Windows CE underneath which is what the 'unlock' exposes.

According to this thread: [Please Register or Login to download file] MY30 can be unlocked too, and it runs Windows CE also (*assuming* the MY55 also runs CE.

Copying the SmartST software and getting it working on another device is a whole other issue - it might be possible, but dunno...would be extremely surprised if it was legal though. Why not just buy the device you want instead?

BTW for anyone else who lands on this thread, I ended up installing MioPocket which works as advertised: install to SD card, boot and you're unlocked, and looking at a Windows CE interface. Power down, remove the card, and you're back to the original setup running SmartST. Only hitch was that there is no selection for S80 but I chose S90 and it all seems to work. I haven't played with it a lot though...
Info here: [Please Register or Login to download file]

Cheers - Andrew
OzAndrew offline

Return to Other Systems