Navman N20   

Navman N20

Postby mal101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Guy's i am used to TT systems but i have been asked to look at a n20 the problem is when it boots the touch screen is out of calibration when i press accept the decline button activates and unit closes can anyone tell me if it is a software or hardware problem any help much appreciated thanks
mal101 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:10 am

Is the calibration "miles" out? When i get home later i'll give you tools and instructions to force a screen calibration, but it could be a hardware problem.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mal101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:33 am

Hi Fatboyfun thanks for your reply it is approximately 2 cm to the left
mal101 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:59 am

I am at work at the moment so check back later...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 pm

The SmartST software on this device has a screen calibration utility built in, IF you can start the software, It's in Display preferences/Screen/Align

But if you cannot start the software then this (2739) little app will start the screen calibration utility.

There will be several ways to run this app on the device.

The easiest is to drop it in to \Windows\Startup and reboot.
If that doesn't work or you don't have access to the windows directory via USB then temporarily renaming the navigation app to something else and renaming Screen Calibrate.exe to what the nav app was called, (Should be SmartST_CE.exe) and rebooting will do.

Follow the instructions to calibrate the screen, then undo what you did.

If that doesn't work then the device will need to be unlocked.

If after calibrating the screen it's still wrong then it's likely to be hardware.

Note that some navmans do not store the screen calibration data on disk, and will require calibrating again after a reset.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mal101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi Fatboyfun thanks for reply will try what you say and post back thanks
mal101 offline

Postby mal101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Fatboyfun the exe wont run in win startup but works when renamed but the crosshairs just keep going round when touched with stylus but when i reboot the legal screen is still wrong should the calibration exe confirm it has worked .I presume that because the crosshairs recognize the pressure in the correct place it is a software problem could it be the smartst exe is corrupt .
mal101 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Windows is responsible for the screen calibration settings not the SmartST_CE software.

The calibration app needs you to tap the cross hairs five times, (One in the center and then one in each corner) then it will say something like Tap screen within 30 seconds to save settings, The problem is where does Windows save the data? Some devices (inc. Navman) have there screen calibration pre-set at the factory, and while it's possible to realign the screen, the data is not saved to disk, Just held in RAM, Which is lost after a reboot.

It is possible to configure the device to run the screen calibration app before the main app starts, but i suspect that will become annoying after a while.
I would suspect that there is a hardware problem here, especially if it suddenly went out of alignment.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mal101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi Fatboyfun Will try again and get back thanks
mal101 offline

Postby mal101 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:46 am

Hi Fatboyfun i can get into nav with activesync but exe wont run in win startup got it to run by renaming .
Unit boots to calibration exe but i have tried to use it and it just cycles back to the beginning never asks to save
i have tried for about 15 minutes
mal101 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 am

I'll prepare a script you can try, i'll post it a bit later.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:39 pm

[color="red"]The utility has been removed as it bricked someone elses device![/color]

The above is a little script to start the screen calibration app, then pause, and finally start the navigation app without rebooting inbetween.

What may of been happening is either the launch application is rerunning the screen calibration utility after it has closed or rebooting the device inbetween makes it forget the screen calibration data, So the point of this script is to run the app, then run the nav app afterwards.

Rename the original nav app to SmartST_CEApp.exe so the script can find it.
Unzip the folder and place all five files into the same directory.
Reboot device.

There are two versions of the script, One requires you to tap OK to continue and the other doesn't. Use whichever works best.

If the screen is still out of alignment then it's very likely to be a hardware problem.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby mal101 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 am

Hi Fatboyfun thanks for files followed your instructions now when nav boots i get the calibration requester but the unit reboots and cycles continually
biggest problem now is can't sync with usb cable so can't undo anything.
mal101 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 am

I'm sure there's more problems with this device than just screen alignment, because this rebooting problem is not normal behaviour, I've used the screen calibration trick to get locked files off of other old navmans before. But to be honest this is an old WinCE 4.2 device with limited memory and processor speed, it's going to be years out of date and it will struggle with newer software.

I'll try to find out what "autorun" programme it looks for so we can try to restore the changes made
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:56 am

I have an old ICN 520 sitting around somewhere, and this thing still runs Igo and Primo fine, at least as long as you don't use things like 3D buildings ;)
Even the TTS voices work fine.
The Navmans are pretty tough, so I'm asking if you have tried a hard reset?
On the older Navmans that should rewrite the whole CE system to standard.
If you have not made othe modifications like MIOPOCKET than your oldie should still work fine.
Afaik the calibration files are saved in the flash memory of the device, if it can't use/access them you will see what you have on your device.
When you connect your Navman to the PC and turn it on after that you should get a connection.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Next

Return to Other Systems