Navigo V3 & tomtom + which SD card advice please??   

Navigo V3 & tomtom + which SD card advice please??

Postby qwertyasdfg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Good Evening All,

I've got myself a Navigo V3 from ebuyer a while back and am successfully running tomtom one on it with UK and Ireland maps, I can't for the life of me remember how I did it as it was such a loooooooonng time ago but it works just about!

Recently I borrowed the device to a family member and they somehow managed to wipe the maps off the device, I think it may have happened when they pressed the reset button at the back when the unit froze whilst in use. Wasn't really a problem as I had the SD card backed up on my HD whilst I was trying to upgrade it, which I gave up on.

As I have some time on my hands now, I want to try and update this device now to the latest tomtom software if it can be done? I also recall back in the day, that there was a way of installing multiple satnav programmes on this device like turbodog and igo etc.. and having the option upon boot up of the device to choose which you would like to use, the site where I read about this no longer exists, so was hoping that someone here might know what I'm on about and be able to point me in the right direction??

My first problem is, what type of SD card can this device handle? I cannot find the technical specs for this device anywhere online and I haven't kept the original paperwork for it. From what I've read online, only certain branded SD cards work on this device, to a maximum of 4GB NON SDHC. I have tried using a sandisk 2gb SDHC SD card in it and it wasn't having it, I also tried a kingston 4gb micro SDHC SD in the device and once again, it didn't like it.

I am currently using a sandisk 256MB SD card in the device, which is non SDHC and that works fine but if I wish to upgrade the tomtom I currently have on it or try the multiple satnav progammes on one device option or even if I want more than just UK maps on the device, I will need a larger capacity SD card.

Can anyone tell me firstly the largest capacity SD card this can take to start with and secondly if it has to be NON SDHC and if so, where the best place would be to get one?

From what I have read, this SD card problem has only effected the V3 models of this device and the V2 and V1 of this device can utilise upto 8GB SDHC SD cards, which I find rather strange.

Once I have overcome this hurdle, can anyone point me in the right direction for a guide on how to install the latest tomtom onto this device??

Any advice and help on this would be much appreciated, thanks in advance for your time and help.
qwertyasdfg offline

Postby ramjet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:14 pm

basically the highest card you can normally find is a standard 2 gig sd card , it wont accept SDHC so dont bother with those
none of the earlier models take SDHC , best to just forget about SDHC completely
play dot com and other sites have the standard 2 gig cards for sale , or e bay , and you can also pickup 1 gig cards too , 2 gig is best though

so 2 gig is ample to run several programs , like tom tom 7.910 with 870 maps , igo8 , primo , destinator , miomap , ndrive , garmin and maybe a few others

if you look around on the net the files do exist for this , and the boot menu you can add in order to have multiple access to them , and access various games , mp3 players like nitrogen etc

download the pna version of tom tom v7.910 , or the 7.450 maybe , and the standard 870 or 875 maps ( no Iroutes or intelligent lane software ) , then follow the usual instructions on patching the maps with tools like bbstools so that is matches the 10 character serial number of your device. other tools also exist for this patching as well , I use bbstools now though
ramjet offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Here is a guide on how to install Tomtom which includes everything you need...

Tomtom tutorial

And here is a way to have multiple navigation apps on one device...

Universal Shell

Only normal SD cards will work, so that means a maximum of 2GB, which is more than enough for two or three apps, unless you want all of Europe.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby qwertyasdfg » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated, guna give it a go tomorrow!

Quick question, I found 4 UK and ireland maps that are available to download in the "All New Maps 875.XXXX" thread, how do I go about picking the right one to download for my device? Whats the difference between them??
qwertyasdfg offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:47 pm

No problem, Be sure to make a full backup of your device before doing anything.

When it comes to maps for the WinCE version of Tomtom just pick the smallest file size as the others contain extra features like IQ routes and ALG that only will work on actual Tomtom units, So it's just wasting space.

[Please Register or Login to download file] Password: navitotal

You'll also need the Latest Postcodes
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby qwertyasdfg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm already stumped before I've even started!!

I can't get past the first stage of the tutorial

"Extract the navigator folder from the archive to the root of your storage Card or My Flash Disk if your device has no storage card slot.
Now you will need to set your device to run Tomtom to generate the .bif files, How to do this will vary from device to device.
You may need to complete the setup procedure (This seems to vary from device to device) Do this and eventually a message will appear saying There are no maps.
Now turn off your device and remove the storage card, or connect to PC if you need to use USB Mass Storage Mode."

I have extracted the folder, place on the root of my SD card, swtiched on the Navigo, goto launch the navigation icon and nothing happens, no setup process, no launch screen for tomtom, just stays on the main startup screen the device comes with as standard. My old tomtom one still works on this new SD card and my old one, so I know I have bought an SD card which is compaitable with this device.

Anyone got any advice on what I might be doing wrong or why this new navigator file might not be working??
qwertyasdfg offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Look at the original Tomtom installation and note down the path to the main application, It may be...

\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe

Rename the Navigator folder and Tomtom Navigator.exe to match the original.

PNA's are simple things, It only looks for a specific filename, It won't scan your card and run what it finds.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby qwertyasdfg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Excellent, thanks, that worked a treat!

Fatboyfun wrote:Look at the original Tomtom installation and note down the path to the main application, It may be...

\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe

Rename the Navigator folder and Tomtom Navigator.exe to match the original.

PNA's are simple things, It only looks for a specific filename, It won't scan your card and run what it finds.
qwertyasdfg offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:37 pm

No problem :)
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby qwertyasdfg » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Evening All,

I've just got myself a batch of 2gb NON SDHC SD cards as I want to start downloading maps for the rest of the world as I will be off travelling soon.

As it's been a while since I last did anything with my device I just wanted some advice on which maps I should be going for? I understand that I should go for the lowest size files but I have noticed a whole new section of maps since I last downloaded any!! Will these new 890.XXX or 891.XXX maps work on my device? Plus is this "no more meta codes" issue going to cause me any problems??

Thanks in advance for your time and help, any advice would be appreciated.
qwertyasdfg offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm

You can use whichever 890/891 maps that are compatible with the PNA/PDA far right column in the chart in post #1 of the all new maps thread AND have a meta code posted underneath the map title/download link.

You must use the latest fastactivate as the earlier verions and autoactivate no longer work

You can drop back to 885 maps if the 890 maps don't have a meta posted yet
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Other Systems