Magellan Roadmate 9020 with iGo 9.6.3   

Magellan Roadmate 9020 with iGo 9.6.3

Postby newsguy99 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:31 am

Got this GPS the other day... its a GIANT 7 inch one... And well, I went to update the software and maps on it, using the Content Manager... Uh, it crapped out, and basically made the GPS lose all information.. (would boot loop at the little circle you get at startup)..

After reading a few forums, some people were talking about how to put iGo on it..
Come to find out, this unit has a microSD card slot on it as well...

So, if you have used iGo before, and know the file structure, then its really easy to make it work..

First, copy the entire iGo folder, and all sub-folders to the Root of your microSD card.

Once that is done, you should have the main program, sys.txt and a few other things on the root of the microSD card now.
Change the name of iGo.exe to iBoot.exe

go into sys.txt and edit it..

Making sure to change only the lines that deal with baud and com... Then add source..

BAUD="4800"
COM="2"
SOURCE="NMEA"

Save your changes..

Insert the microSD into the unit, and restart... This unit will start from the microSD if one is inserted, and it sees iBoot.exe in the root...

Its very quick, and works great... Sure glad to get rid of that crap Magellan puts out..

If you have any questiong.. Just ask...
newsguy99 offline

Postby chas521 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks for the info. For the most part, it's usually best to put the program on a SD card so you don't accidentally mess up your device's internal files that make it work. Always back up the internal files FIRST before you do any editing. Before you mess around with the internal files, you should ask here first.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby GPS4US » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi newguy99 Thanks much for the information.
I have a model 1440 following your direction. I place the primo version on my SD card, but had to make these changes to your method get it to work. It would boot but could not find any sats until changing the com&baud rates. Works geat now and makes this old unit better than ever.
Change the name of Primo.exe to iBoot.exe . Then go into sys.txt and edit it..
Again making sure to change only the lines that deal with baud and com... Then add source or change “GPS” info to:
BAUD=19200
COM=7
SOURCE="NMEA"
Save your changes.

The unit boots directly from the card when it's in and will still run the original Megellan program when removed. Again thanks newguy99 way to go!
GPS4US offline

Postby newsguy99 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Yeap, that works, as each GPS uses a different com, and possibly different speeds..
Glad you got it working.

To me, its much faster, and gives many more details than the Magellan software ever did.

Another fact is, iGo allow to input multiple addresses or way-points... And thats a hugh help, when you're a delivery guy. You can also Optimize those, so you're not back-tracking. Very Nice!!!
newsguy99 offline

Return to Other Systems