GPS Navigation For Dummies™ FD-420 Maylong   

GPS Navigation For Dummies™ FD-420 Maylong

Postby bigbloke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 pm

I'm based in the uk. My aunt has relocated from the states and has brought this device with her. [Please Register or Login to download file]

Does anyone know if it would be possible to run any other devices' maps on this as they don't seem to have maps for any other territories.

Thanks
bigbloke offline

Postby nabi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Since this is a Windows CE 6 based device, it sure can, changing the software.
Most likely you can easily replace it. How to do it can depend on some factors. Can you explore the device? See what is on it?
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby bigbloke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:08 pm

nabi wrote:Since this is a Windows CE 6 based device, it sure can, changing the software.
Most likely you can easily replace it. How to do it can depend on some factors. Can you explore the device? See what is on it?

Yes I can. I'm not sure what you need to know but the folder structure is as follows. In the root of the device there are 4 folders the names are Destinatorapps (which seem to hold the maps), Dumpfiles (which is hidden and empty), Extradumpfiles (which isn't hidden but is empty), MobileNavigator which seems to contain languages and all other user data, then there are 4 files with the bin extention named gpspara0(1,2,3).

I'm not sure if this has covered what you needed to know.
bigbloke offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:33 pm

This looks like a generic "MobileNavigator" type device, So depending on hardware spec, either iGO 8 or iGO Primo will run nicely on this device.

There will be one of two ways to get this device to run other software, Both involve using a SD card...
Procedure 1, Copy the new application folder to a SD card and rename the folder to MobileNavigator and the executable within to MobileNavigator.exe (Note capital M&N)
Or
Procedure 2, Copy the new application folder to a SD card and create a new text file with the path to the executable as it would be on the device inside it, ie, \SDMMC\iGO 8\iGO 8.exe, and then rename the text file to SHELL.ini

You will not need to change/delete anything in the devices internal memory and removing the SD card and resetting will return the device to it's original state.

And before you ask Tomtom does not work on Windows CE 6 :D

However i've never seen or heard of this device before so this is only a rough guide, There may be extra work involved.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby NRT » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:04 am

TomTom does work on some wince6.0 devices. But it's a pain to set up and why would anyone bother when you can use Primo 1.2
NRT offline

User avatar Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 am

I know you can use scripts to get it working, but we don't recommend it, There are better options...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby bigbloke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:This looks like a generic "MobileNavigator" type device, So depending on hardware spec, either iGO 8 or iGO Primo will run nicely on this device.

There will be one of two ways to get this device to run other software, Both involve using a SD card...
Procedure 1, Copy the new application folder to a SD card and rename the folder to MobileNavigator and the executable within to MobileNavigator.exe (Note capital M&N)
Or
Procedure 2, Copy the new application folder to a SD card and create a new text file with the path to the executable as it would be on the device inside it, ie, \SDMMC\iGO 8\iGO 8.exe, and then rename the text file to SHELL.ini

You will not need to change/delete anything in the devices internal memory and removing the SD card and resetting will return the device to it's original state.

And before you ask Tomtom does not work on Windows CE 6 :D

However i've never seen or heard of this device before so this is only a rough guide, There may be extra work involved.

If I were to go this route what size sd card would i require to hold the app and map. I've no experience with anything other than tomtom maps so I have no idea what size the app and map(s) will be.

Thanks
bigbloke offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:29 pm

It depends on what map region(s) you want/need, I'd go with 2GB as your device may not support SDHC, You are probably looking at around 200 to 350 MB's for a installation with UK&ROI maps depending on what enhancements you are using.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby bigbloke » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:17 pm

I followed your instructions and the device is now running primo 2, the UK & ROI Content pack you linked me to, and TTS Pro English UK voice perfectly. Thanks a lot.
bigbloke offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanx for the update :)
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Other Systems