UK foehn and hirsch 4.3" stuck   

UK foehn and hirsch 4.3" stuck

Postby ramjet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:28 am

hi

on the off chance I thought I would post a wanted request

I have a UK foehn and hirsch 4.3 inch satnav similar to the 3.5 inch or navigo ones that is stuck on the bootloader splash screen following a registry change to get the old hack working, and no matter what I do I cannot get active-sync to work to change it back to booting the native navigation screen and subsequently turbodog or anything labelled as mobilenavigator etc in the usual manner

so I am looking for a solution to the problem , and this is probably a rom dump that I can place on an sdcard and reflash the system or registry to allow it to boot as normal

I have 3.5 inch navigo and f&h units working ok , but no matter what I try this unit is stuck in a bootloop , eventually turning off from the splash boot screen , even if I could somehow access the registry I could fix it , but I cant

any help to fix it would be appreciated

thank you

ps:- sorry admin or mods , forgot to state the name of the unit in the title , please amend the title as you wish , thanks
ramjet offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:01 am

Unfortunately a ROM flash is the only way to recover this device, And finding the files can be almost impossible, Sometimes these MobileNavigator devices are sold under a different brand name from a different retailer, or in a different region but are the same device.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:38 pm

This is why we ALWAYS advise members to completely back-up their internal flash drives first BEFORE making any editing changes! It's better to be safe than sorry.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ramjet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:35 pm

even if I had backed up the internal flash , it wont activesync for me to do anything with it

I do have the 3.5 inch version in working order , but it isnt a lot of use if the 4.3 inch is stuck on the bootscreen and doesnt load to activesync or to a navigation screen
ramjet offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:34 pm

I find a lot of ROM's on Russian and Polish sites, Google translate can be useful here.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 pm

ramjet wrote:even if I had backed up the internal flash , it wont activesync for me to do anything with it

I do have the 3.5 inch version in working order , but it isnt a lot of use if the 4.3 inch is stuck on the bootscreen and doesnt load to activesync or to a navigation screen

Have you looked at Total Commander http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?3860-Total-Commander&highlight=total+commander
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ramjet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:18 pm

I have total commander on my pc and have used it for years , but as the f&h wont connect with activesync I cannot use TC

obviously I cannot use TC on the device as its stuck on the boot splash screen , no access to it in any way , shape or form

that is why I was hoping to reinstall it from a booted rom image from an sdcard
ramjet offline

Postby nabi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Your answer is not conclusive to me. You do not need active sync to connect a device to a PC.
You need a driver that recognizes the device as an external HD. I never use active sync, not on windows, not on linux (obvious).
Not sure though if the limited action (only splash screen) is enough or the f&h should start up completely.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby ramjet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:32 pm

no , its not enough and the laptop or pc says usb device not recognised

believe me , If I had access to it I could probably have fixed it by now

its completely and utterly no access , no matter what medium is used
ramjet offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:55 pm

The usb drivers inside the device are not loading because of the registry change, Was it HKLM\init that was changed?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ramjet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:22 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:The usb drivers inside the device are not loading because of the registry change, Was it HKLM\init that was changed?

I changed the registry on it and it booted up fine and I could select tom tom ok from the f&h hacked menu as is usual on these units

it then froze completely , and when I pressed the reset button it was stuck on the splash boot screen , no noise to show active sync was connected , active sync doesnt connect , usb device not recognised was the laptop error ( same on other pc or laptops too ) hence the unable to access the unit problem

the guide I used was the same as on the 3.5 inch f&h which was this doc

_To get the V2 menu to boot you will need CERegistryEditor -

_http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl

and Microsoft ActiveSync. I'll assume you know how to use these.

Turn on the Navigo and start activesync

Run CEregistryeditor and **BACKUP THE REGISTRY** in case you want to return to the original menu.

Copy the folders - `Menu` and `Startup` from the `Copy Contents To ResidentFlash` folder to the ResidentFlash folder on the Navigo

Copy the contents of the `copy contents to sdcard` to your sdcard. These include the apps and the games but also some empty folders as a guide where to install the various navigation software.TomTom goes in MobileNavigator.

Change the value in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Explorer\Shell Folders\StartUp

From

\Windows\Startup

to

\ResidentFlash\Startup

Then delete the key AB - Launch99 launch.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\Launch99

Install the Gps package(s) of your choice and enjoy.
ramjet offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:50 pm

That's a bizarre way of unlocking, On mobilenavigator devices you just replace the main exe file or set up a SD card, A ROM flash is the only way to recover these devices, there is no other way unfortunately.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Other Systems