Delorme PN-20   

Delorme PN-20

Postby Harold2689 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:40 pm

I have a Delorme PN-20 handheld GPS that has Delorme TOPO 2007 loaded. SinceI am primarily a Garmin man, I'm not that familiar with Delorme. The Topos are ok, but I really want roadmaps & the ability to navigate turn-by-turn. It does NOT do well when navigating on the roads. I also have Delorme Street Atlas Plus, 2009 which we used to use on a laptop and extarnal GPS. I want to load the Delorme SA 2009 maps onto the PN-20, but have not figured out how to do it.

Does anyone have any experience with the Delorme PN- series of GPS recievers? What street maps do I need, Where can I get them, How do I load them, and is it even worth the effort?

Thanks,

Harold
Harold2689 offline

Postby Yomama » Sat May 22, 2010 4:27 am

The PN-20/40 I think is the best device on the market because it displays full hybrid maps and you can download maps off of the internet and display them on the device easily. It is great for hiking/outdoors applications but I found it to be not so good for driving as it is too slow for that. The PN-40 is probably alot better since it has a much faster chip. I bought a used Tomtom on ebay for driving but use the PN-20 religiously for outdoors use and couldn't imaging having another GPS unit for that purpose.
Yomama offline

Postby Harold2689 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Yomama wrote:The PN-20/40 I think is the best device on the market because it displays full hybrid maps and you can download maps off of the internet and display them on the device easily. It is great for hiking/outdoors applications but I found it to be not so good for driving as it is too slow for that. The PN-40 is probably alot better since it has a much faster chip. I bought a used Tomtom on ebay for driving but use the PN-20 religiously for outdoors use and couldn't imaging having another GPS unit for that purpose.

Thanks. I have noticed that it is (very) slow when trying to calculate a driving route with the TOPO maps loaded. That's precisely why I want to try it with street maps. I'll keep looking and hope maybe someone here can "navigate" me to the correct street maps for this unit. ;)

Harold
Harold2689 offline

Return to Other Systems