Binatone g500 (win ce 5 with micro sd) help with unlocking   

Binatone g500 (win ce 5 with micro sd) help with unlocking

Postby ikonta » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:59 am

Hello everyone. Im a newbie, so please be gentle with me.
I do hope you can help me, as i've been searching around the internet, and posting a few posts, and i'm going mad .... no correction, i've gone mad.
I got a binatone g500 from maplin for £30 the other day. Im trying to unlock it so that i can use the windows applications, and run other software off the s/d card (such as MemoryMap which i have from Road Angel 7000). So far i have messed around with MioPocket Mini rc2 and MioPocket 4 rc 68 ion the sd card - i say messed around with, because i followed the instructions to the letter, but Binatone would not boot, it just kind of beeped and went off into its usual Binatone program with a few glitches.
Please could somebody help me.
thanks
ikonta offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:14 am

Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ikonta » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:11 pm

what an amazing site! im going to try this out now. thanks
ikonta offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Be careful with changes to the registry, as these devices retain their settings after being switched off, and changes which cause boot failures CANNOT be undone without a reflash.

BTW, £30 for a G500? I'm jealous! :D
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ikonta » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:29 am

Hello Fatboyfun :-)

Got Universal Shell installed and running Igo. Thank you very much! Considering I'm a complete novice at tweaking and probably too old (ha ha ha), I can only say that the support threads were brilliant. I'll get onto queries about US at a later point as there are a few entries on some file somewhere that I will need to make.

I have Memory-Map running after some mucking around. When it attempts to shut down, a box 'Memory-Map OS Edition Version 5' states "\SDMMC\Memory-Map Pocket Nav OS 5\Memory-Map OS 5.mmn contains an invalid path." Apart from doing a reboot, I have no other way of shutting down when this error message appears.

There is no folder on the SDMMC called "Memory-Map Pocket Nav OS 5" as I deleted it because it didnt work. That folder was there before my current working version of Memory-map. For the new working one, I made a new folder, "\SDMMC\MemoryMap" and pasted a different version of the Memory-Map executable along with a few .dll files.

Is this something you could advise me on?

Many thanks :-)
ikonta offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:18 am

I have never used memory map, Is the new version in a differently named directory to the old one? And is there a file called Memory-Map OS5.mmn in it?

There may be registry values from the old version affecting the new version, is there an uninstall option?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ikonta » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:10 am

Hello Fatboyfun
There is no file called Memory-Map OS5.mmn now as I deleted it, as this was part of the MM program that didn't work.
I did find one entry in the registry which i've deleted, but I'm still getting the same problem on closing the new Memory Map program. Do you know where else i have to look in the registry? Or do you know of a mobile registry editor that i can run from my pc that has a 'find' button?
Many thanks
ikonta offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:49 am

Total commander which is included with universal shell can search the registry, Open Total commander\plugins\registry then file\find files (I think)

Only delete what you are 100% sure won't harm your device. Post here if you're not sure.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ikonta » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi
I cant find Total Commander in US!
Help please,,,,
ikonta offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:52 pm

ikonta wrote:Hi
I cant find Total Commander in US!
Help please,,,,

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?3860-Total-Commander&highlight=total+commander
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Top left button on main screen, icon of a sd card.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ikonta » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Hello Fatboyfun

Thank you re Total Commander :-)

I need to make a few entries somewhere in Universal Shell and would much appreciate some special help in newbie steps!

The two things that I specifically need help with is how to knock off the Binatone road navigation software from automatically starting up instead of Universal Shell - as I'm getting into Universal Shell the long way round, which suggests that I haven't set it up correctly. Secondly, when I press the 'exit' icon of Universal Shell, I just hear a beep and nothing happens. Below is exactly what happens with my Binatone G500:

Press: 'on' button.
Screen appears: Binatone Drive like a local.
After approx 10 seconds, icons for 'My Device', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Desktop' briefly appear and then go.
Sound: two beeps (I think this is the WinCE 5 beeps).
Screen appears: Binatone 'Warning' blurb and 'ok' icon.
Press: 'ok' icon.
Screen appears: Binatone 'Navigation' icon and the 'Menu' icon.
Press: 'Navigation' icon - for a few seconds the icons for 'My Device', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Desktop' briefly appear.
Screen appears: Universal Shell (in green font) with the grey background followed shortly with 'My Device', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Desktop' icons briefly appearing.
Screen: Binatone road map navigation software loads up with 'menu' icon at the bottom of screen.
Press: 'Menu' icon.
Screen: Binatone 'Map option' and 'Settings' icons, and the 'Off' icon in the bottom right hand corner.
Press: 'Off' icon.
Overlay screen: 'are you sure you want to exit?' and a 'yes' and 'no' icon.
Press: 'Yes', and then 'My Device', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Desktop' briefly appear.
Screen: Universal Shell with the three large square icons (which activate igo etc), an icon bar at the top of the screen, and the 'exit' icon (along with the clock etc) on the bottom right corner of the screen.
When I press the exit button, I hear one beep but am unable to exit.

Thank you :-)

PS Is it worth putting on TomTom considering that I have Igo? (I did like the 'lane assist' on my old TomTom.)
ikonta offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:26 pm

ikonta wrote:Hello Fatboyfun

Thank you re Total Commander :-)

I need to make a few entries somewhere in Universal Shell and would much appreciate some special help in newbie steps!

The two things that I specifically need help with is how to knock off the Binatone road navigation software from automatically starting up instead of Universal Shell - as I'm getting into Universal Shell the long way round, which suggests that I haven't set it up correctly. Secondly, when I press the 'exit' icon of Universal Shell, I just hear a beep and nothing happens. Below is exactly what happens with my Binatone G500:

Press: 'on' button.
Screen appears: Binatone Drive like a local.
After approx 10 seconds, icons for 'My Device', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Desktop' briefly appear and then go.
Sound: two beeps (I think this is the WinCE 5 beeps).
Screen appears: Binatone 'Warning' blurb and 'ok' icon.
Press: 'ok' icon.
Screen appears: Binatone 'Navigation' icon and the 'Menu' icon.
Press: 'Navigation' icon - for a few seconds the icons for 'My Device', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Desktop' briefly appear.
Screen appears: Universal Shell (in green font) with the grey background followed shortly with 'My Device', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Desktop' icons briefly appearing.
Screen: Binatone road map navigation software loads up with 'menu' icon at the bottom of screen.
Press: 'Menu' icon.
Screen: Binatone 'Map option' and 'Settings' icons, and the 'Off' icon in the bottom right hand corner.
Press: 'Off' icon.
Overlay screen: 'are you sure you want to exit?' and a 'yes' and 'no' icon.
Press: 'Yes', and then 'My Device', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Desktop' briefly appear.
Screen: Universal Shell with the three large square icons (which activate igo etc), an icon bar at the top of the screen, and the 'exit' icon (along with the clock etc) on the bottom right corner of the screen.
When I press the exit button, I hear one beep but am unable to exit.

Thank you :-)

PS Is it worth putting on TomTom considering that I have Igo? (I did like the 'lane assist' on my old TomTom.)

Exactly how did you install US?

With regards to Tomtom, If the device is Windows CE 5 then yes, If it's Windows CE 6 then no, But Tomtom on Windows CE/Mobile is only a basic version and does not support Advanced Lane Guidance + other enhanced features
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ikonta » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 pm

I installed it to sd card. the only entry i made was to kill the jbshello in the script file.
ikonta offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Did you create a SHELL.ini file?
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to Other Systems