Binatone G500 options   

Binatone G500 options

Postby Hotpants » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi all, a friend of mine has given me his unit with the standard UK & ROI map on it. He wants to put a map of Florida or USA on it, but I'm blowed if I can find any maps for it. It has a microSD slot, so is it possible to get a USA map for this unit and simply slot it in or what other options are there? Its running WinCE 5. I've had a look through some of the tutorials on the site, but talk of ROMs etc worries me.

If it were my unit, I'd mess around all day with it (I managed to get Tomtom Navigator on another old WinCE 5 device a couple of years ago :-)) but my mate wants it back in working order!

Is it easier to lend him my Tomtom to go to the states and I'll use his Binatone for a few weeks :bs_quesexclaim:

Cheers

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Re: Binatone G500 options

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 pm

tools-tutorials-f170/guide-binatone-devices-t6936.html

Exactly the same as every other Binatone, you can't add or upgrade maps for the original software, but changing the software is easy.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Hotpants » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks Fatboyfun, i thought i might get an answer off you :001:

If its as easy as putting new software on a microSD card, without messing up the unit then I'm happy to do that.
I'm a Tomtom fan, but know that Navigator sometimes isn't best on these units. The unit is 64MB. Which do you think would be best, Tomtom, iGO 8 or iGO Primo?

Thanks as ever for your invaluable advice.

Cheers

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 pm

It really is just a case of putting files on a sd card, you don't need to modify the internal flash at all.

TomTom is old and basic, give iGO primo a go...
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Hotpants » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi there, I thought I had it sorted. I loaded the shell.ini and the MobileNavigator folder onto the microSD card, put it in the unit and booted it. It starts up into the normal Binatone GUI. Fine, no problem, hit the 'navigation' button and Primo 2 started.

Removed card, and added the following folders:
Building
Map
Memory Fix
Phoneme
POI

and there is also a file called device.nng after the initial boot.

All are in the root directory.

The map folder contains Navteq UK and ROI 2013 Q2 files. Both Ireland and UK have the following file extensions:
fbl
fpa
fda
fsp
ftr

The problem is, I cannot see the map on the screen. All of the menu and navigation works, and it picks up my latitude and longitude, but when I choose to enter a destination, and it asks for country or state etc, when clicked, there are no subsets to choose from.

I presume I'm not too far from getting it working, but am stumped. I checked to ensure that the Navteq maps woprk with Primo 2.

Any thoughts at all?

Cheers

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:59 am

When you created the map and other folders, where did you create them?

They should be in the content folder, you'll probably find some in there already...
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Hotpants » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:40 am

Ah, Ive just looked and found the Content folder in the MobileNavigator folder! I thought everything went in the root directory, oops. There was a map folder in there, with just a base map file in it.

So are only the shell.ini, MobileNavigator and created device.nng in the root directory, and everything else goes in the Content folder?

I've copied the Building, POI and Phoneme folders into the Content folder, and unsurprisingly, the map now shows up :023:

On a separate note, if I only want a Florida map on the device, I presume I can just copy the respective Florida files into their respective folders, rather than every state map? I'll remove the UK maps first.

Cheers for the advice as ever

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:45 am

The shell.ini is a binatone file, the mobilenavigator folder and device.nng are iGO files/folder

For other maps, just put what you need in the relevant folders, there is no need to remove the UK for Florida.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Hotpants » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 pm

I copied the Florida map files into the map folder, but ran into the 'out of memory' error. I ran the memory fix files, and all seems to be working fine at the moment :023:
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Return to Other Systems