Binatone F430 screen replacement   

Binatone F430 screen replacement

Postby 1888 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

OK. No doubt I have put this in the wrong section. Sorry but please move if need be admin

I need a engineers manual or information on how to open up a Binatone F430. I am presuming its like a mobile phone but don't want to try just in case. I have a working spare sat nav with a broken screen. I just got another on ebay with a good screen but broken sat nav. I am looking to make one good one.

Cheers
1888 offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Prise out the rubber plugs, undo the screws, case comes apart easily.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby 1888 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Cheers Fatboy I take it you mean rubber plugs like round a laptop screen. I don't have any on the F430.
1888 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:38 pm

There seems to be a couple of different versions of the F430 floating around, some just clipped together which come apart using fingernails, and othes that are screwed together, the screws are hidden with little rubber plugs.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby 1888 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:41 pm

OK fatboy I must have the prize apart ones then. Ill wait until the other one arrives and give it a tug. No mater if I burst one trying as the broken screen one will end in the bin anyway.

Cheers mate ill post how I get on later in the week.
1888 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:04 pm

You'll probably find the screen is in one half and the PCB and battery is in the other half, so you just need to disconnect the ribbon cable.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby 1888 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 pm

OK. If anyone is interested, I should have took more pictures as this was easy. On the Binatone F430 and I would presume others will be similar. Take out the stylus. Use a hard thin piece of plastic like a credit card and from the open corner where the stylus sat prise open the back cover along the top. (comes away easier than the side) Once you have went round the sat nav the back cover will fall off in your hand and you have this

Sorry, poor quality

^^ In the red circles is the six small Phillips screws you need to undo. Once undone very carefully prise the front screen off. Now be warned. It looks like a bezel round the screen (its not) Once apart the screen is attached to the board just like a laptop keyboard/mouse and some screens.

Below is the back of the screen showing the ribbon cable.

The ribbon cable is connected into this part of the board

You have a black part of this connection. You gently prise that up and slide the ribbon out. To put one in just slide in place (straight) and snap down the black bar.
Also in that picture you should see the battery number if any of you need to google for a new one. Hope this makes sense. :)
1888 offline

Return to Other Systems