Binatone B430 No GPS Signal - Flashing ROMs help   

Binatone B430 No GPS Signal - Flashing ROMs help

Postby steptoe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 am

Bought a cheap Binatone B430 off ebay, it did work with included igo8 it came with on SD card, but I wanted to update the software and change a few things plus didn't appreciate it always set to 'truck' no matter what I tried .. ho hum

Got IGO8 running on our B350 and cheap generic Chinese GPS in the past with no issues, so I know it can be run and works fine, I just wanted a widescreen as well

Problem is no matter what I try I get no GPS signals regardless how long I leave it switched on to try and 'see' them. 5 minutes is usually plenty of time if they haven't been used in a while, so I assume about 20-30 minutes should be plenty. I backed up the software it came with before I started playing so copied that back onto the SD card, still no GPS signals. Even tried another fresh 1GB SD card in case that card was faulty

Letting it search for the GPS port, it finds the GPS device quite easily and connects to it with no errors so I assume thats working, but again no GPS signals and its a clear view of the sky. Tried a hard reset of the satnav as well. Tried the other satnavs and they find the signals without much effort in the same area as I use those without any issues

I got hold of the ROMs to try and re-flash the B430 to see if I can kickstart the system as I've read that this can work, but following the flash guide with the ROMs does nothing

Am I missing something in trying to flash the B430 ROMs, I've checked and they are the correct ROMs for that device, and it comes with the ROM flasher but won't even start to flash

Tried the crappy built-in software and that can't find a GPS signal either even after letting it scan for the GPS device (which it finds), hmmmmm, I suppose I can attempt to crack the case open and see whats going on if the aerial is goosed or attempt to 'fix' an external GPS aerial to it, but I'd rather not if I can fix it via software as it DID find the GPS signals when I first tried it

Thanks
steptoe offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 am

In the default shell is a GPS status app, Does that pick any satellites up.

The default GPS settings are COM7 and Baud 57600
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby steptoe » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:11 pm

no .... so i suppose that points to a duff internal aerial. I'll see if I can prise the case apart and have a look at trying a DIy aerial on fasioning an external aerial
steptoe offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:02 pm

I've never opened up my B430 but my other device (Medion) I have, The internal GPS aerial in that device is connected by a small black wire to the main PCB, it's not uncommon for the wire to disconnect itself. Take anti-static precautions when opening the case to be on the safe side.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Other Systems