alternative satnav for Binatone F430   

alternative satnav for Binatone F430

Postby morgiee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi guys, Iv'e got a old Binatone F430 sat nav given to me and would like to make the most of it. It doesnt have the option to update the maps but it does have a micro sd port on it, so was woundering is it possible to run a differant navigation on it from a micro sd card and still use it as a sat nav but with newer maps? If so how do i do it and which satnav software work with the Binatone?

Many Thanks

p.s atm only needing UK and ROI maps but in the near future would love other countries.
morgiee offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Easy, http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?6936-Guide-to-Binatone-devices

Tomtom is unlikely to work due to wince 6 being installed, but primo 2 is so much better than turbodog.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby morgiee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks for this its a great help, im at the point now were i need the uk maps, however their is that many to choose from i dont know which one to get, could you direct me to the best one for my satnav?

Thanks
morgiee offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby morgiee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks for this, i opted for the iGO Primo 2.0 version for my satnav but from your expert knowedge which uk and ROI map pack should i use for my system?

Navteq pack or the Teleatlas?

I downloaded both so i can use one or the other. I also downloaded the Generic pack too. What is the purpose of the generic pack? does it act lik the main directory for the map packs to go into it?

Thanks
morgiee offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 am

I use navteq maps, but I could find 1000 people who say teleatlas is better, so try both, if you're feeling brave you can install a map switcher to switch between them on the fly...

Navteq pack = navteq content
Teleatlas (Tomtom) pack = teleatlas content
Generic pack = Speedcams, dem, 3D buildings, etc...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby morgiee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Ah right ok well its for my parents and they are novis when it comes to technology. I like the tomtom interface and think they would understand that one easier so will try the teleatlas content. ok so the generic pack is the features for the maps and the content pack is for the routes and maps. On the link you provided for the maps is a page telling you about the contents when skim reading it doesnt mention about the teleatlas content or does it? and will it show you were the files need to go on the sd card? Thanks
morgiee offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 pm

The content doesn't change the interface, Teleatlas (bought by tomtom) and navteq are content providers, iGO can use content from both,

I find navteq maps are updated with new roads faster but tomtom is more accurate, however navteq has driver alerts, the argument about which is best will continue for ever...

There is a link in the content pack post to another post which explains what the files are and what to do with them...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby morgiee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi iv'e just been following the tutorial for were the files go but in both pack i only have two folders:

Navteq 2012 Q4 (fbl poi fda fsp fpa)
• Maps
• POI

Teleatlas (Tomtom) 2012.05 (fbl poi ftr)
• Maps
• POI

So i can only extract over the point of interest files and the map file, it mentions that speed alerts and Smart Route Profiles etc are included in the packs but they arnt. How do i go about getting the other files to go on the iGo Primo?

Thanks
morgiee offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Download the Generic pack...

You only need either the navteq or the teleatlas (tomtom) pack not both!

Navteq 2012 Q4 (fbl poi fda fsp fpa)
• Maps
• POI
• Driver Alerts
• Smart Route Profiles
• Fixed Point Addressing

Teleatlas (Tomtom) 2012.05 (fbl poi ftr)
• Maps
• POI
• Truck restrictions

Generic (txt hsp 3dc 3dl dem ph)
• SCDB Europe Speedcams 31-03-13 (Zoned - Fixed & Mobile)
• PGPSW Speedcams 31-10-12 (Zoned - Fixed, Mobile & Average)
• Histspeed (IQ Routes) 2010 Q1
• NNG/TA 2009.12 Buildings & Landmarks
• UK & ROI Demographic
• Navteq 2011 Q3 Phoneme for TTS
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Magnu420 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:40 pm

i wouldnt bother to install buildings,dem,histspeed just install the speedcams,as the building and histspeed will cause your f430 cos its only 64mb ram

in fact primo2 might crash all time,i used to have probs on my x430 and g430 with primo2. have a fiddle with igo 1.1 or 1.2
also have a look thru some of my posts to see which ones ive tried
Magnu420 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:53 am

On my B430 I use histspeed and TTS but not dem or 3D buildings, take a look at the memory fix utility I posted in the binatone thread, never had a crash!
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby morgiee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks will look into that because it went to a memory crash and i couldn't turn off the sat nav or anything so had to leave the battery to go flat and restart it. Quick question slightly off subject but i personally have the TomTom app installed on my ipod touch 4th gen and i have the TomTom gps car kit mount for the gps. Now this morning it was cold and when i powered the app up and powered the docking after selection my destination it kept saying poor reception and no matter were you drove it didnt improve. Tried unplugging and re plugging the gps dock, restarting the tomtom app, powering off and on the ipod touch and still nothing. Luckily i have the directions printed but wasn't ideal. However the strange thing when coming home the weather had improved and it was mild to hot temperature, yet the tomtom reception worked first time! This might sound stupid but wont the gps receiver work under cold temps so keep both the ipod and the gps dock warm and should work on a cold morning? as they were both left in the car over night so the cold had got to it.

Thanks
morgiee offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:50 pm

It's possible some damp got into it and affected the GPS circuitry.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby morgiee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Ah ok well i need it again tomorrow so if i leave it indoors overnights say on a warm towel that should fix it? Thanks
morgiee offline

Next

Return to Other Systems