Sony NV-U82. Help, i'm at a total loss   

Sony NV-U82. Help, i'm at a total loss

Postby jazzyfizzle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:12 pm

I've hunted this site to make sure i'm not double posting or anything.
I have an nv-u82 (4.3" wide) satnav with a v.old europe map on it.
I know the map is navteq but ive read stuff about how people have cracked it and put igo# on it or something similar, but no how-to!

Can someone point me at the right software and maps to get this thing up to date?

Thanks in advance.

nb this is probably in the wrong place, if so can it be moved, thanks
jazzyfizzle offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:43 pm

I've read that Sony devices are easy to unlock and install other GPS software, BUT gaining access to the GPS receiver is tricky (ie, It requires other programmes and scripts) But not impossible. Although i've never tried myself.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm

@jazzyfizzle

First I have to tell you that are in some other company trying to "crack open" your Sony. Unfortunately, you are not alone here. Let's try anyway. Just make sure that you back everything up first before you edit anything - just in case.

When you plug your device to your computer via USB, what do you see? We are looking for the .exe that sends your device to the navigation program. Can you make a screen shot here?

If we can figure that out, then it may be possible to modify an unlock. Once we have it unlocked then it should be "simple" to install a more current program and maps. Just know that it may not work. Some devices just can't be modified. Your Sony just might be one of them.

It may be necessary for you to use "Total Commander." http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?3860-Total-Commander&highlight=total+commander
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Other Device Unlock