Carminat TomTom - Renault Clio 2009 - Updating to latest UK & ROI maps   

Carminat TomTom - Renault Clio 2009 - Updating to latest UK & ROI maps

Postby u01jmg3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi,

I'm struggling to update my built in car (Renault Clio) TomTom. I believe it is an offline Carminat TomTom. I've read and searched this forum as much as I can but I cannot get any newer maps to work without my TomTom saying 'no maps found' even after apparent successful activation with FastActivate (04.04.2013). I'm only interested in updating to the most up-to-date UK and ROI maps that I can. The current working maps I'm using is 20 updates behind; I believe it is v725.1882

I have installed TomTom Home and updated my SD card accordingly.

I have downloaded and tried these maps which failed to work on my TomTom giving me 'no maps found' message:
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_890_4222 (7 updates behind)
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_915_5074 (2 updates behind)

When attempting to activate with FastActivate (04.04.2013) 'ttgo.bif' did not exist so I created it manually by using the clipboard of TomTom Home > System Information. I can also confirm that I have the correct meta.txt for the versions of the maps I've tried.

Activation succeeds and in my maps folder a .DCT file is created - I further checked this by going into TomTom Home > Manage my device and everything looked fine. However, when putting my SD card back into my car all it says is 'no maps found'. Reverting back to the backup of my maps folder (v725.1882) puts everything working again.

I realise there is a chart which dictates how high a map version you can go with your current NavCore version. I am on v8842 so I believe the highest I can go is to United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_850_2820 but I cannot find any links which aren't dead plus I was hoping to update to a newer map version providing my TomTom likes it.

Do I need to update my NavCore? I'm stumped as to what to do next because I've got nowhere. Anything that's newer than 20 updates behind would be great providing it works on my TomTom.
Last edited by u01jmg3 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
u01jmg3 offline

Re: Carminat TomTom - Renault Clio 2009 - Updating to latest UK & ROI maps

Postby u01jmg3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 am

Have been trying other things and still having problems.

Using the charts for 920.xxxx and 925.xxxx I've looked up my NavCore version (8.84x for v8842) and tried the following which should be compatible:
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_920_5267
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_925_5439

This time my TomTom is reporting that I cannot use these maps on my device. No idea what the issue is but I feel I'm getting closer...
u01jmg3 offline

Postby Capo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:49 am

You patched the maps right but did you patched the navcore too?
Capo offline

Administrator

Postby u01jmg3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Capo,

Maps patched successfully yes

Attempted to patch the NavCore but FastActivate says:
File Missing - ( ttsystem or PNDNavigator )

As I said in my previous post 'ttgo.bif' was missing until I manually created it; will I have to do the same for ttsystem/PNDNavigator?

This is the folder structure of my SD card:
Code: Select all
+---art
|   \---cars
+---home images
+---Licences
+---loopdir
+---LoquendoTTS
|   +---bin
|   \---data
|       +---voices
|       |   +---Kate
|       |   \---Simon
|       +---languages
|       |   \---English
|       +---bin
|       \---data
|           +---voices
|           |   \---Kate
|           \---languages
|               \---English
+---photos
+---raster
+---sounds
+---TomTom HOME Install.app
|   \---Contents
|       +---InstallerData
|       +---MacOSClassic
|       \---Resources
|           \---English.lproj
+---TomTom-Cfg
+---voices
+---poi
+---statdata
+---ephem
\---United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland
u01jmg3 offline

Postby Capo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:09 am

Check the tomtom section and search the tutorial to how to patch carminat navcore...
Capo offline

Administrator

Postby u01jmg3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi Capo,

I followed this tutorial:
http://www.navitotal.com/tutorials-f80/simple-steps-upgrade-carminat-for-newbies-t2620.html

It seemed I couldn't patch the current NavCore I had on my SD card (as ttsystem was missing) so I started afresh with a blank SD card and my TomTom seems to be working fine - well I'll find out on my way home anyway.

I assume NavCore v8842.542199 as per the tutorial is okay for my TomTom? I only say this because according to TomTom Home I can no longer take advantage of MapShare corrections and possibly other features my TomTom could support but that this NavCore version doesn't.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
u01jmg3 offline

Postby Capo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:57 pm

The carminat navcore version in the tutorial is an old version... but yes you can try if you get it working with it...
If you got it working try then to update the navcore with the last update proposed by tomtom home..
Please always think to make backup first...
Capo offline

Administrator

Postby u01jmg3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi Capo,

The last update proposed by TomTom Home for my original backed up SD card was v8842.542199 (the same as the tutorial offers) so staying within the 884x range that is the highest NavCore version available for my TomTom; the only other version is v8841.453398 which is obviously a lower version so inapplicable. Am I right in thinking if TomTom Home has updated only as far as v8842.542199 then my TomTom can't support a higher NavCore version?

My only other issue is that MapShare corrections are no longer available to me since blanking my SD card and starting again with a freshly patched NavCore (as per the tutorial). Previously I added UK v925.5439 maps to my original unpatched NavCore and TomTom Home kindly offered me MapShare corrections; however because the NavCore wasn't patched it didn't work in my car.

When I changed to a fresh NavCore (in order that I could patch it) using the tutorial's version (which was the same v8842.542199 that was on my original SD card and installed by TomTom Home), TomTom Home states my device can't support MapShare corrections for the same UK v925.5439 map. The map is obviously not the issue because TomTom Home offered me corrections before. The NavCore versions can't be the issue because I've used the same in both instances; v8842.542199 was originally on SD card and is the one used in the tutorial. Could it be the patched NavCore that is preventing MapShare corrections from no longer being supported?
u01jmg3 offline

Postby Capo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:31 am

Well hard to answer but if you use a map up to date mapshare correction are not really useful, also they are a way to get mapshare correction, search the tutorial for wince device...
Also if you are able to use the latest maps up to date don't take care about the navcore version...
Capo offline

Administrator

Postby u01jmg3 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 am

Good point, Capo

The only WinCE patching tutorial I could find was this:
tutorials-f80/wince-mapshare-patch-t3485.html
which has a dead link so I can't download the patch for getting MapShare corrections to work

I guess no-one on here really bothers with MapShare corrections?

Very true - if I have up-to-date maps then NavCore version and MapShare corrections don't really matter
u01jmg3 offline

Postby chefke » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:03 pm

If your car after 2011 than has been the tomtom live.

This system has a NavCore 9844 or higher.

These systems can be anything.

The NavCore 8842 does not work here on.

The TTSYSTEM file is erased everyone's time.

One can only book with the original Renault dealer or tomtom.
chefke offline

Return to Nissan/Renault