What to do with RAR files from Map Downloads?   

What to do with RAR files from Map Downloads?

Postby RoadnTrail » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:25 am

Hi,

I think I was able to download Europe maps and got an RAR file. I am not sure what to do with it.

I am looking for maps and POI's of Spain. I am using a Mio Digiwalker C310X with iGO8.

Thanks.
RoadnTrail offline

Re: What to do with RAR files from Map Downloads?

Postby huntsman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:29 am

RoadnTrail wrote:Hi,

I think I was able to download Europe maps and got an RAR file. I am not sure what to do with it.

I am looking for maps and POI's of Spain. I am using a Mio Digiwalker C310X with iGO8.

Thanks.

hmmm... first go ti here and istall it.
huntsman offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby RoadnTrail » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:24 pm

I am not sure what you mean. Is that a copy from my computer into the maps of my GPS? I am only looking for Spain and I am not sure if the memory card can hold all of Europe. Also, hopefully, there are POI files as well they should go in separate folders.
RoadnTrail offline

Postby katastrofe » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:25 pm

I don't know where you downloaded from. The uploader, when he is a bit decent and forum minded/friendly should at least tell everyone what is the contents of his uploaded rar file(s).

Anyway, when you downloaded the file (or files) you should unrar them with a unpacker such as Winrar. I think Chas521 uploaded a version here.

There are two ways of packing big content: making multiple rar files or one big file divided in parts. The first method is the simplest: any rar file contains a number of files, like all POI files, or all building files, or some countries together (like Scandinavian, or Balkan, or DACH (which is Germany-Austria-Switzerland in a pack)) or ... Then you just unrar the packed file or files you want.

The second method divides the big rar file in parts and one can tell because they are numbered. You tell the unpacker (winrar) to unpack the first part and it will unrar all parts automatically.

When you unpack on your hard drive, copy the files you need to your sd.

And that is all to it.
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Postby chas521 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:01 pm

RoadnTrail wrote:Hi,

Thanks.

I'm kinda confused. You say you have a WinCE device. Why are you posting in Garmin? Am I missing something here?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby bam-bam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:58 pm

because hi can :lol: :lol: :lol:
bam-bam offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby katastrofe » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:44 am

Exactly, because he can. I did not even notice this was the Garmin section when I wrote my answer :lol:

Why should I ? Navitotal is looking more and more like the GPS under ground "competition" each day. There no one seems to care about the forum, here it's the same. :thumbdown:

This forum is loosing its structure, it's cluttered up, postings everywhere around not related to the subforum they are in. Chitchat is filled with postings that are related to existing TomTom/IGO/Garmin/Maps/... and other GPS forums as is the whole forum filled by pages of useless (like thanks) postings, ...

As a noob, not knowing where to look for help, try to be helped. One posts in the wrong section where often no moderator visits, the few helpful members rarely look there and the consequence is that no help is found at all. So people will turn elsewhere.
That way a bad reputation is growing and it's growing fast. :022:

And I might add that I don't even expect to get a (decent?) reaction from a team member here.
Last edited by katastrofe on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Postby spiro-10 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:33 am

Hi Katastrofe,

You need to download on your PC a copy of WINRAR available freely here or Google it, it is usually done this way to prevent files been damaged when uploading, once you look inside the the rar file with Winrar you will see the familiar structure like gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img, copy this file to your Garmin device like i do on WinCe and all done.
spiro-10 offline

Postby bam-bam » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:05 am

katastrofe wrote:Exactly, because he can. I did not even notice this was the Garmin section when I wrote my answer :lol:

Why should I ? Navitotal is looking more and more like the GPS under ground "competition" each day. There no one seems to care about the forum, here it's the same. :thumbdown:

This forum is loosing its structure, it's cluttered up, postings everywhere around not related to the subforum they are in. Chitchat is filled with postings that are related to existing TomTom/IGO/Garmin/Maps/... and other GPS forums as is the whole forum filled by pages of useless (like thanks) postings, ...

As a noob, not knowing where to look for help, try to be helped. One posts in the wrong section where often no moderator visits, the few helpful members rarely look there and the consequence is that no help is found at all. So people will turn elsewhere.
That way a bad reputation is growing and it's growing fast. :022:

And I might add that I don't even expect to get an answer or action from a team member here.

igo-miomap-and-other-f65/
this is the right section
you are right mod sometimes missing
but poeple must read little bit first where to put own question
and in 21 century who dont know what is this WINRAR and how to work whit him
bam-bam offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby katastrofe » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:56 pm

spiro-10 wrote:Hi Katastrofe,

You need to download on your PC a copy of WINRAR available freely here or Google it, it is usually done this way to prevent files been damaged when uploading, once you look inside the the rar file with Winrar you will see the familiar structure like gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img, copy this file to your Garmin device like i do on WinCe and all done.

I am not sure why your answer is directed to me? You clearly missed all what is written in this thread. :tease:
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Postby katastrofe » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:58 pm

bam-bam wrote:you are right mod sometimes missing

It's more than "sometimes" and it's more than just a mod missing :thumbdown:

And this thread might just as well be copied to chitchat.
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Postby chas521 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:59 pm

spiro-10 wrote:Hi Katastrofe,

If you're using GMXT then fine. That's a Garmin program. RoadnTrail talks about iGO8 which is WinCE.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby katastrofe » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:19 pm

Since this is Chitchat anyhow :tease: :lol:
Another freeware tool that is quite good, is 7zip. And yes, it does unrar.
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Postby RoadnTrail » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Wow. That was a lot of conversation.

I tried the Winrar and 7zip (which I like better) and had no luck. Perhaps I got a bad RAR file or it was not a complete download.
RoadnTrail offline

Postby katastrofe » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:01 pm

A bad download? A bad upload? Or a password issue?

Or maybe a missing part? Did you make sure you have the full set of the rar files when it's a "multiple set"?
If the download in total is 21 parts, it will start from filename.part01.rar and end with filename.part21.rar. Then right click on the filename.part01.rar and select to "extract".

Also a possible reason for failure is an "exotic" rar compression or - more common - a to new compression method not yet recognized by the unpacker.
As said higher, an uploader of some "professional value" should share that information - if needed - together with the link.

Or last possible reason : user error :tease:
katastrofe offline

Premium Member

Next

Return to New Maps