City Navigator N.America NT 2020.30 FID 8325   

Re: City Navigator N.America NT 2020.30 FID 8325

Postby Alexpatrascu » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:14 am

Quick questions guys, can someone gimme a quick explanation on what are the SID and SQLite folders for ?
I know what other files are for(ASR, JCV, gmap3d, .....) but I'm not sure what the SID and SQLite folders are for and do I NEED to have them on my SD card/GPS(Nuvi 250W) ?
I'm looking to put the latest CN N.America map on the GPS and I'd like to know if I need to add these to the SD card/the GPS unit.
I don't see them on my unit so if it's not something vital I'm only gonna add the map to the SD card
Thanks a lot.
Alexpatrascu offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:43 am

Alexpatrascu wrote:Quick questions guys, can someone gimme a quick explanation on what are the SID and SQLite folders for ?
I know what other files are for(ASR, JCV, gmap3d, .....) but I'm not sure what the SID and SQLite folders are for and do I NEED to have them on my SD card/GPS(Nuvi 250W) ?
I'm looking to put the latest CN N.America map on the GPS and I'd like to know if I need to add these to the SD card/the GPS unit.
I don't see them on my unit so if it's not something vital I'm only gonna add the map to the SD card
Thanks a lot.

You are totally correct, great logic.
If you can't see them on your device or see them in your garmindevice.xml you don't need them.
Your device just needs an unlocked map named or renamed gmapsupp.img placed in a Garmin folder on a SD card formatted FAT32

SID & SQlite are for later models and are support files and databases in simple terms.

BayFiles
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby kazorreo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:04 am

does this include Canadian maps?

If all else fails look at the picture
mikeataol wrote:North America includes Canada and Mexico
kazorreo offline

Postby mikeataol » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:20 am

North America includes Canada and Mexico
mikeataol offline

Postby carloslopez » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:58 pm

I can find the file gmapsupp.img in the data dowloaded. Do I must rename some file? My GPS is GARMIN nuvi 360.

Moderator Note
Your device only uses the map file (the biggest one )
Download gampprom.img rename it gmapsupp.img if it is going to be a supplemental map ie extra to the original installed on the device.
carloslopez offline

Postby mikeataol » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:13 pm

i think that gmapsupp is usually a supplemental file, an extra map that you have loaded on your device.
for example you may add Canada as a second map , calling it gmappsupp if your device usually only has USA maps

what map other than all of North America (which would be the gmappprom here) are you looking for ?
mikeataol offline

Postby fbraun » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi GarmanNuvi,
Thanks for compressed files.

I do not find .jcv file. I only have .sid and .unl.

What can I do ?

Thanks,
Fred
fbraun offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:38 pm

fbraun wrote:Hi GarmanNuvi,
Thanks for compressed files.
I do not find .jcv file. I only have .sid and .unl.
What can I do ?
Thanks,
Fred

What device ?
"I do not find .jcv file. I only have .sid and .unl." ???
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby thisisnuts » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:58 pm

When I first purchased my 40LM (BF 2011) it was capable to load USA & Canada on the device with internal memory of 1.8GB. Naturally over the years the map file sizes increased. USA & Canada wouldn't fit on the device memory. So I picked up an 8 GB SD card. I don't recall if initially if the subsequent updates were loading USA & Canada on the SD card once it detected it. But by early 2017, the internal memory could only support "Lower 49 States NE". Once it detected the SD card, it then offered me "Lower 49 States". Which I found strange since the SD card has way more capacity to load something like City Navigator North America NT full. I don't recall if I had read the reason why it only offers me Lowe 49 States, even if I were to put a 16 GB card in.

The only way I could get Canada included was to look for an UNLOCKED USA & Canada or Full NT and made sure the file said "gmapprom.img". If the file said "gmapsupp.img", I would rename it to "gmapprom.img" and place it into the "Garmin" folder on the SD card. But the one thing that has always puzzled me was the Junction View "JCV" file and its proper placement. The one that would be updated is always much smaller and usually it's on the device memory but the one that I see offered with the UNLOCKED Full version is much bigger. I've experimented by replacing the one on the device with the larger one that is offered with the UNLOCKED file. Simultaneously I would make a sub-folder "Garmin\JCV" and place it there as well. I don't know if it made a difference. Now I see a recommendation above to change gmapprom -> gmapsupp and create a "Map" folder on the SD card. Don't know if this is because of the models being used.
thisisnuts offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:14 am

thisisnuts wrote:The only way I could get Canada included was to look for an UNLOCKED USA & Canada or Full NT and made sure the file said "gmapprom.img". If the file said "gmapsupp.img", I would rename it to "gmapprom.img" and place it into the "Garmin" folder on the SD card. But the one thing that has always puzzled me was the Junction View "JCV" file and its proper placement. The one that would be updated is always much smaller and usually it's on the device memory but the one that I see offered with the UNLOCKED Full version is much bigger. I've experimented by replacing the one on the device with the larger one that is offered with the UNLOCKED file. Simultaneously I would make a sub-folder "Garmin\JCV" and place it there as well. I don't know if it made a difference. Now I see a recommendation above to change gmapprom -> gmapsupp and create a "Map" folder on the SD card. Don't know if this is because of the models being used.

The simplest way to see the location of map files etc is to check out your garmindevice.xml use Internet explorer to make it easy to view,
So for your device the gmapsupp.img goes into a folder called Map the other files into a folder called Garmin when using an SD card.
You have LM's so why not just copy the garmindevice.xml from the device to the Garmin folder on an SD card & use Garmin Express to update it.
You will end up with everything including the unlock folders.
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby thisisnuts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:39 am

Hey GarmanNuvi, thanks for the reply. On my device I opened the garmindevice.xml as you suggest and see preety much what you posted. Now, I think I'm following you on this. In the past I used to use Garmin MapUpdater until they discontinued support for that and started using Express. As I mention for some strange reason I could never get Canada + US once the size exceeded the 1.8 max on the device. Even when I installed an SD Express only offered me Lower 49. For the past couple of years what I did was to delete the last (old) map version from the device and had all updates installed on the SD. What Express would do is create "Garmin" folder on the SD card and install the updated map there. Again the only map it seems to offer me to download was Lower 49, even with an 8 or 16 GB SD Card. In the folder would be the following:
gmapprom.gma
gmapprom.img
gmapprom.unl
gmappupdate.gsd
If I needed Canada, I would just get an "unofficial" unlocked file of full CN and replace the gmapprom in the "Garmin" folder on the device. It seems to work. So you are saying that I didn't have to replace the official Lower 49 file. I could have just created another folder on the SD card call ir "Map" and place the full CN file in it and I would have access to both the official and unlocked full files?
Also are you saying that if I were to place the "garmindevice.xml " on the SD card and try updating again, it will give me an option for the full CN.
Not sure if I'm making sense here. As it is, the "GarminDevice.xml" is located on my device in a folder "Garmin" along with a .zip file.
thisisnuts offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:08 am

thisisnuts wrote:~

Strange ! If your device has Lifetime maps for USA & Canada GE should offer you two options use an SD card or choose a region.
Cloning your device on an SD card with 8gb of space (copying your garmindevice.xml to the Garmin folder on the card) should allow you to download USA & Canada using GE.
This is my cloned device,by reducing the available space gives you less & less options
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby thisisnuts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:38 pm

This nuts. Your 40LM is able to get USA & Canada through GE. So what's preventing mine from getting the same? Back in 2013 I backed up a copy of ".system" (hidden) folder which had 2013.10. As an experiment I replaced the current .system on the device, booted up the 40LM and checked the map. It says Lower 49 states. Now with a black 8 GB SD card in the unit, I decided to use GE and see what options it will give me to update. Same as before, only the current Lower 49 states, no drop down with other options as in you attached pic. Not sure why this is happening. Are you saying I should move every thing from the device internal memory to the SD card and use GE to update. Several years ago, I remember reading that the 40LM is a basic model at the lower end of the price scale and it only supports the 49 lower states. I can see where that is true for the internal memory. But once the user inserts an SD with higher capacity, one would think the option for larger maps would be made available through GE. But your images of the 40LM with option for larger maps disproves the comment that it is only for Lower 49 states. Again, not sure why my unit never ever allowed me to get USA & Canada with GE once I started utilizing an 8 GB or 16 GB SD card.
As an experiment, I'll see what happens if I move all folders (including the hidden .system folder) and files to the SD card.
Thanks again for the feedback.
thisisnuts offline

Postby GarmanNuvi » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:12 pm

thisisnuts wrote:This nuts.

Only going on the info you supplied, there are nuvi 40's with Lower 49,USA & Canada and N.America Lifetime map updates
When I first purchased my 40LM (BF 2011) it was capable to load USA & Canada

Follow up
thisisnuts wrote:I went to the source (Garmin) to see if there was an issue with my unit. The rep asked for mu Unit ID. Based on the unit ID he said that my version of the 40LM only came with "lower 49 states" and will only receive updated maps for the lower 49
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Postby Gerty » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi, I'm from Belgium and my English is not that good. so i didn't read the whole forum. My question is: I have the City Navigator North America 2017. Does this cover all of America? I want to make sure The Eastern States are included. I already used it to travel west. But now I want to go to Virginia, North Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi....
Gerty offline

PreviousNext

Return to New Maps