Total Newb, and I screwed up my GO 730.....   

Total Newb, and I screwed up my GO 730.....

Postby Roxxor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:02 am

Well, I decided today that I wanted to try updating my GO 730, and like a complete idiot, I just jumped into the project without understanding what all it entailed. Suffice it to say, I'm now stuck with an "updated" GPS that won't go past the startup screen. And yes, again like an idiot, I did not make a backup before I started. Flame away for that one.

First let me start by saying that I had not updated or connected my GPS to a computer since I bought it. So my first mistake was that I tried to update the map to 865.3254 without updating my Navcore. Installed the new map, but along the way realized that I have North America 2GB and was trying to install North_America_P_865_3254.(still not sure if that makes a difference, maybe someone can enlighten me.) So I just copied the files over. Well my device started saying it was out of space, so I figured this was just due to the new larger map and deleted a few of the cspeech_XX.dat files from the North America 2GB folder, as I assumed they were related to the speech recognition and they were for states I would never visit. Well, this step ended in my device booting, but saying "No Maps Found".

So my next venture into reading was that I needed to update the Navcore. Downloaded 9.205, copied the files, copied the North_America_P_865_3254, patched it, and then the device was stuck in a reboot phase, it would show the old TomTom logo, show the loading data screen, show the New TomTom logo, then reboot and repeat. So I went reading again, and found that I had missed downloading the X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1. So I downloaded that, copied the files. Patched again just to be sure. Now, the point I am presently at, is that the device will boot with the new TomTom logo, but just locks up and will not go past the boot screen.

I understand I have screwed something up royally here and was dumb for not making a backup, but please, help me get my device working again as I use it on a daily basis for my job. Thank you!!!!

Here is the info from my device, not sure how much of it is accurate due to the changes I made, but here goes. I do find it odd that the map version and current map are blank and 0.0, this is what the device shows in the ttgo.bif file

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO 730
DeviceVersionHW=GO 730
DeviceSerialNumber=
DeviceUniqueID=
RamDiskVersion=20100702
BootLoaderVersion=55250
LinuxVersion=547200
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9205
ApplicationVersion=547817.1
UserLanguage=English US
CurrentMap=
CurrentMapVersion=0.0
Roxxor offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:27 am

You do not patch the X_ttsystem it is already patched.
Don't delete files from the map, get a bigger SD card or a suitable map instead.
Delete all from the devcie except the ttgo.bif.
Add the Navcore and X_ttsystem.
Add the map and use AutoActivate or FastActivate to active the map.
Start you TT and all should be fine.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Roxxor wrote:Well, I decided today that I wanted to try updating my GO 730, and like a complete idiot, I just jumped into the project without understanding what all it entailed. Suffice it to say, I'm now stuck with an "updated" GPS that won't go past the startup screen. And yes, again like an idiot, I did not make a backup before I started. Flame away for that one.

1. First let me start by saying that I had not updated or connected my GPS to a computer since I bought it. So my first mistake was that I tried to update the map to 865.3254 without updating my Navcore. Installed the new map, but along the way realized that I have North America 2GB and was trying to install North_America_P_865_3254.(still not sure if that makes a difference, maybe someone can enlighten me.)
2. So I just copied the files over. Well my device started saying it was out of space, so I figured this was just due to the new larger map and deleted a few of the cspeech_XX.dat files from the North America 2GB folder, as I assumed they were related to the speech recognition and they were for states I would never visit. Well, this step ended in my device booting, but saying "No Maps Found".
3. So my next venture into reading was that I needed to update the Navcore. Downloaded 9.205, copied the files, copied the North_America_P_865_3254, patched it, and then the device was stuck in a reboot phase, it would show the old TomTom logo, show the loading data screen, show the New TomTom logo, then reboot and repeat.
4.So I went reading again, and found that I had missed downloading the X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1. So I downloaded that, copied the files. Patched again just to be sure. Now, the point I am presently at, is that the device will boot with the new TomTom logo, but just locks up and will not go past the boot screen.

I understand I have screwed something up royally here and was dumb for not making a backup, but please, help me get my device working again as I use it on a daily basis for my job. Thank you!!!!

In addition to downunder's comments

1. You downloaded the wrong map. You want NA 865.3245. Updating would not have been necessary, if you have the current official 730 navcore 8.351 & if you had downloaded the correct map.
2. You don't just copy the files over. You remove the old map folder & copy in the new map folder.
3. HUM!!!
4. Download the 9.205.cab, not the basicpack. Only copy the ttsystem file & the PNDNavigator files from the X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1.rar
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Roxxor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Thank you downunder and tendriver. I followed downunders steps as I read them before I just got your steps, tendriver, and the GPS works fine now, except it says I have no voices that are compatible with English. Do i just need to download new ones? Also, how to I patch TT Home to get it to work correctly? Thank you so much!
Roxxor offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Roxxor wrote:Thank you downunder and tendriver.
1. I followed downunders steps as I read them before I just got your steps, tendriver, and the GPS works fine now, except it says I have no voices that are compatible with English.
2. except it says I have no voices that are compatible with English. Do i just need to download new ones?
3. Also, how to I patch TT Home to get it to work correctly? Thank you so much!

1. No problem. You have it working, & that is what counts.
2. Yes, TT Home, Add Traffic, Voices, etc.
3. Patching TT Home only lets you use "Operate my GO".
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Roxxor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Thank you again!!! One final problem and I think I will have everything solved. The unit has the capability for voice recognition, however since the upgrade I no longer see the option for it. There is a section under preferences for command and control, with a mic symbol, but it is always grayed out. Any thoughts? Most appreciated!!
Roxxor offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Roxxor wrote:Thank you again!!! One final problem and I think I will have everything solved. The unit has the capability for voice recognition, however since the upgrade I no longer see the option for it. There is a section under preferences for command and control, with a mic symbol, but it is always grayed out. Any thoughts? Most appreciated!!

Re-read post 3, item 1.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Roxxor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Perfect, thank you again sooo much!
Roxxor offline

Postby Roxxor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:17 pm

tendriver wrote:Re-read post 3, item 1.

Well, this weekend I finally got a chance, so I went back and downloaded and installed NA 865.3245, which contains the Cspeech files, however I still do not get the option to select "Command and Control" in the preferences, it is still grayed out, and I do not have the Speech option. Anything else that might be causing this?
Roxxor offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Roxxor wrote:Well, this weekend I finally got a chance, so I went back and downloaded and installed NA 865.3245, which contains the Cspeech files, however I still do not get the option to select "Command and Control" in the preferences, it is still grayed out, and I do not have the Speech option. Anything else that might be causing this?

Confirm that you don't have the Outsourced folder or switchfiles.zip anywhere in your unit.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Roxxor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:14 pm

tendriver wrote:Confirm that you don't have the Outsourced folder or switchfiles.zip anywhere in your unit.

Deleted both, still the same results
Roxxor offline

Return to > Navcores 9 for TomTom Devices