Raster folder - can I delete it to save space?   

Raster folder - can I delete it to save space?

Postby Ideal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:08 pm

When I last updated the navcore just now, I think it went to 9.465 or whatever, on my XXL.. it created something called Raster, it is basicly a folder named Raster and it is full of rather large images.
The unit itself is limited to only 2GB memory, so I have deleted everything which I do not need, in order to fit larger maps which shouldn't really fit it (but they do after some mods.)

What I would like to know is, can I delete this raster folder, and why would this folder be needed?
Ideal offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Look closely & you will see that those images are map sections. I don't recommend deleting the folder, which is only 10MB in size.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:37 am

The raster folder contains images for an overlay at high zoom levels.
It is more or less a gimmick and only useful if you create your own overlays, for example for a large entertainment complex or park.
Deleting the raster folder won't affect the device at all, you just won't see a satellite image when browsing the map and zoom out.
But deleting it won't really give much free room.
Best option imho would be to check if you can solder in a SD slot or to buy a device that has one.
Devices with only 2GB are always limited to small maps.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:26 am

Ideal wrote:When I last updated the navcore just now, I think it went to 9.465 or whatever, on my XXL.. it created something called Raster, it is basicly a folder named Raster and it is full of rather large images.

The Raster folder is not anything new. It has been around for a long time.

Downunder35m wrote:1. Deleting the raster folder won't affect the device at all, you just won't see a satellite image when browsing the map and zoom out.
2. But deleting it won't really give much free room.

1. True. To give an example for Ideal. For whatever reason, you wish to be at a point on the map that is far from your current location. You zoom way out until you see the raster map. Now you can drag to that far away location in just a couple of swipes, instead of covering just a few miles with each swipe. You can still zoom out without the raster, but with a blank screen, you won't have any idea where you are or where you are going, without zooming back in.

2. I agree. 10MBs is not much help.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 am

If it is of any interest I could supply raster files for quite a few countries to replace the low-res world map TT provides sometimes.
So far I can offer Australia, New Zealand, Europe (including some single country overlays), USA Canada and Mexico, Russia Baltics Finland, Brasil and Southern Africa.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to > Navcores 9 for TomTom Devices