Installing Navcore 9.135 on a Go 940?   

Installing Navcore 9.135 on a Go 940?

Postby Capvermell » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Your list of Navcore rar files on this site seems to imply that Navcore 9.135 will work with a Go 940 unit. I assume this includes managing to use HD Traffic, Bluetooth with a mobile phone and the FM transmitter?

I have successfully upgraded a 750 from Navcore 9.058 to Navcore 9.120 and that works fine (including getting the HD Traffic data) but then that Navcore is officially available on TomTom's own Navcore download site where it is listed as being for the 750 model (even though it is not offered as such by TomTom Home but then nor is Navcore 9.058 unless you first remove the Navcore 9.054 application in TomTom Home).

However all I had to do with the 9.120 Navcore upgrade on the 750 was copy all the files in the cab file from TomTom's site in to the relevant directories in the memory on the Go including the bootloader file. However the Navcore 9.135 rar file seems to have various files that do not exist in the directories on the 940 at present but does not have a bootloader file.

Can anyone else here tell me if they have successfully upgraded a 540, 740 and 940 to Navcore 9.135 and if they have if all the features still work ok and what extra features or more stable operation benefits are added by this Navcore compared to Navcore 9.058 (the last official Navcore from TomTom)? Navcore 9.120 is specifically reported as not working with the HD Traffic facility on the x40 series even though it works fine with the 750. However given that there is no bootloader file in the archive can someone explain more clealry what I have to do in order to install Navcore 9.135 on my 940 and what gains if any I might achieve by doing so. With Navcore 9.120 the main gain on a 750 is that switching to 3D mode while following a route now works correctly whereas it does not in Navcore 9.054 or 9.058.
Capvermell offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Capvermell wrote:Your list of Navcore rar files on this site seems to imply that Navcore 9.135 will work with a Go 940 unit. I assume this includes managing to use HD Traffic, Bluetooth with a mobile phone and the FM transmitter?

I have successfully upgraded a 750 from Navcore 9.058 to Navcore 9.120 and that works fine (including getting the HD Traffic data) but then that Navcore is officially available on TomTom's own Navcore download site where it is listed as being for the 750 model (even though it is not offered as such by TomTom Home but then nor is Navcore 9.058 unless you first remove the Navcore 9.054 application in TomTom Home).

However all I had to do with the 9.120 Navcore upgrade on the 750 was copy all the files in the cab file from TomTom's site in to the relevant directories in the memory on the Go including the bootloader file. However the Navcore 9.135 rar file seems to have various files that do not exist in the directories on the 940 at present but does not have a bootloader file.

Can anyone else here tell me if they have successfully upgraded a 540, 740 and 940 to Navcore 9.135 and if they have if all the features still work ok and what extra features or more stable operation benefits are added by this Navcore compared to Navcore 9.058 (the last official Navcore from TomTom)? Navcore 9.120 is specifically reported as not working with the HD Traffic facility on the x40 series even though it works fine with the 750. However given that there is no bootloader file in the archive can someone explain more clealry what I have to do in order to install Navcore 9.135 on my 940 and what gains if any I might achieve by doing so. With Navcore 9.120 the main gain on a 750 is that switching to 3D mode while following a route now works correctly whereas it does not in Navcore 9.054 or 9.058.

9.135 is a Chinese navcore. A .cab file for it does not exist.

If by extras you mean the outsource folder & switchfiles.zip, you can delete them.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Capvermell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm

tendriver wrote:9.135 is a Chinese navcore. A .cab file for it does not exist.

If by extras you mean the outsource folder & switchfiles.zip, you can delete them.

So I don't need the files in the Outsourced 9.135 directory or subdirectories? Also a lot of the files like those in \art\cars merely appear to be duplicates of those I already have on my 940 rather than upgrades needed to create a new Navcore environment. The 9.120 cab didn't contain the stuff in \art\cars as it clearly assumed that versions of these files from an earlier Navcore would be left in place on the TomTom.

When you talk about switchfiles.zip which files are those as I don't see them in the rar file.

Also what about there being no new bootloader file version? Is that a problem?

Ultimately are there any advantages in Navcore 9.135 in terms of addressing longstanding bugs (eg not switching to 3D mode when following a route in Navcore 9.058) that make it worth upgrading as UK Go 940?

Other Navcore 9.058 bugs it would be nice to see addressed include:-

1. Battery Runs Down Unless Clear Route Is Used Before Unit is Turned Off

2. Way Points Don't Work Properly As Your Arrival At The Way Point Is Not Reported Even Though You Are Navigated To It

3. Very Slow Menu Response And Heavy Screen Pressure Needed For X40 Series Units (But Not x50 Series Units) With Navcore 9.058

4. Volume Sometimes Hard To Increase From A Low Level in 3D View on x40 Series Units
Capvermell offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Make a backup of your current setup using Windows Explorer.
Download this navcore: [Please Register or Login to download file] + X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1.rar
Copy in the Navcore, then only the SE ttsystem & PNDNavigator files from the rar, overwriting any common files.
Disconnect & reboot.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Capvermell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Does anyone else have this mixed Navcore setup working successfully on an x40 series unit and if so are any existing features lost or are there are only new additional feature gains from this combination of Navcores?
Capvermell offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Capvermell wrote:Does anyone else have this mixed Navcore setup working successfully on an x40 series unit and if so are any existing features lost or are there are only new additional feature gains from this combination of Navcores?

mixed?? combination??
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Capvermell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 pm

tendriver wrote:mixed?? combination??

You seem to be a man of one line responses so its hard to know exactly what solutions you are suggesting and whether or not they will work successfully on a 940.
Capvermell offline

Postby Capvermell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:45 pm

tendriver wrote:Copy in the Navcore, then only the SE ttsystem & PNDNavigator files from the rar, overwriting any common files.
Disconnect & reboot.

Which rar file exactly are you talking about. The one for the Chinese Navcore 9.135 or is it the X-ttsystem link you gave?
Capvermell offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Capvermell wrote:You seem to be a man of one line responses so its hard to know exactly what solutions you are suggesting and whether or not they will work successfully on a 940.

Download this navcore: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.205.rider3.CAB-navcore-RIDER.cab + X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1.rar

How much more exact can I get? We try very hard not to offer solutions that don't work. The only way to have all functions be active is to use an official navcore for your device.

Capvermell wrote:Which rar file exactly are you talking about. The one for the Chinese Navcore 9.135 or is it the X-ttsystem link you gave?

I don't recall talking about a .rar for 9.135.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Capvermell » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:29 pm

tendriver wrote:I don't recall talking about a .rar for 9.135.

But I was previously talking about 9.135 in my first post in this thread and it is also in an rar file so hence my confusion.

So if I install the files that you suggest in the manner you suggest what benefits will I see in terms of additional functionality and/or system stability compared to Navcore 9.058 Will I gain things like average journey speed, which I understand is part of the Rider series Navcore. And will annoying problems like being constantly forced in to 2D mode in Nacore 9.058 be eliminated?

Will bluetooth for mobile phone, FM transmission and jukebox functionality also all be preserved and/or enhanced and can I expect HD Traffic to still work in the way it did under Navcore 9.058 or will there be a significant further modification in the graphical interface or it will go back to something more like Navcore 8.371? Also should I still be able to run Height v17 ok with this Navcore combination?
Capvermell offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:08 am

Capvermell wrote:But I was previously talking about 9.135 in my first post in this thread and it is also in an rar file so hence my confusion.

So if I install the files that you suggest in the manner you suggest what benefits will I see in terms of additional functionality and/or system stability compared to Navcore 9.058 Will I gain things like average journey speed, which I understand is part of the Rider series Navcore. And will annoying problems like being constantly forced in to 2D mode in Nacore 9.058 be eliminated?

Will bluetooth for mobile phone, FM transmission and jukebox functionality also all be preserved and/or enhanced and can I expect HD Traffic to still work in the way it did under Navcore 9.058 or will there be a significant further modification in the graphical interface or it will go back to something more like Navcore 8.371? Also should I still be able to run Height v17 ok with this Navcore combination?

Different emulations give different looks & different functionality to each SE navcore. With all of the TT models, all of the navcores (official & non-official) & all of the emulations in each pre-patched navcore, it would be very difficult to know exactly which features do or do not funtion with any given setup.
I can tell you that all of the main & important features in 9.205 work.
The only way to have all functions be active is to use an official navcore for your device.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Capvermell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 am

tendriver wrote:Different emulations give different looks & different functionality to each SE navcore. With all of the TT models, all of the navcores (official & non-official) & all of the emulations in each pre-patched navcore, it would be very difficult to know exactly which features do or do not funtion with any given setup.

I can tell you that all of the main & important features in 9.205 work.

The only way to have all functions be active is to use an official navcore for your device.

I think plenty of 1000 series owners will testify to the fact that several advertised features do not work on their units even with the official Navcore. Also the bluetooth mobile phone feature has never worked reliably on my 940 even with a phone listed by TomTom as supported. On a relative's 750 you can hear the caller but they cannot hear you talk back at them. Again with a phone listed by TomTom as being supported.

I'm inclined to try this out due to the Rider Navcore's reputed average speed and distance functions that all Garmins have but that TomTom's Navcores for car based devices sadly do not have. However what about my bootloader being incremented and this preventing me reverting to Navcore 9.058 if I need to?

Can I also assume the Rider 3 Navcore still allows full Windows Explorer access to the unit's memory drive? As such it is probably likely to be the last Navcore upgrade that will be possible now that TomTom have gone down the web only access route for their latest 1000 series units.
Capvermell offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Capvermell wrote:1. However what about my bootloader being incremented and this preventing me reverting to Navcore 9.058 if I need to?
2. Can I also assume the Rider 3 Navcore still allows full Windows Explorer access to the unit's memory drive?

1. No problem reverting.
2. Yep.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Capvermell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:48 pm

So my last question is are we sure that the Rider 3 Navcore will work ok with the x40 series units (in my case a 940) with their earlier SIM card stock that is formatted in some way differently that meant the x40 series couldn't run with Navcore 9 successfully before Navcore 9.058? The x50 series units are not fussy in this way presumably because they have a later SIM card formatted in a way more readily compatible with Navcore 9 data protocols. This is still seen in the fact that under Navcore 9 with Navcore 9.058 an x40 series unit still takes around 3 minutes to retrieve HD Traffic data from power on compared to only 75 to 90 seconds for an x50 series unit.

Also I presume there is no reason a 750 unit won't also work fine with the Rider 3 Navcore implemented in the way you described earlier on in the thread?

Also lastly out of interest when was the Rider 3 first released for sale in to the marketplace in the UK and/or elsewhere? I presume it was only fairly recently given the high v9 Navcore number?
Capvermell offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Capvermell wrote:1.So my last question is are we sure that the Rider 3 Navcore will work ok with the x40 series units (in my case a 940) with their earlier SIM card stock that is formatted in some way differently that meant the x40 series couldn't run with Navcore 9 successfully before Navcore 9.058?
The x50 series units are not fussy in this way presumably because they have a later SIM card formatted in a way more readily compatible with Navcore 9 data protocols. This is still seen in the fact that under Navcore 9 with Navcore 9.058 an x40 series unit still takes around 3 minutes to retrieve HD Traffic data from power on compared to only 75 to 90 seconds for an x50 series unit.

2. Also I presume there is no reason a 750 unit won't also work fine with the Rider 3 Navcore implemented in the way you described earlier on in the thread?

3. Also lastly out of interest when was the Rider 3 first released for sale in to the marketplace in the UK and/or elsewhere? I presume it was only fairly recently given the high v9 Navcore number?

1. The use of a card has nothing to do with whether 9.205 will work OK on a x40 unit. The first x40 9.XXX nc was 9.054.
2. None.
3. R3 9.200 17 Julne 2010
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to > Navcores 9 for TomTom Devices