Help needed for GO 700   

Help needed for GO 700

Postby mrbeef » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:40 pm

My device is stuck in a reboot loop.

Here is what I have done so far...

BootLoaderVersion=55274

Installed 8GB CF drive in place of the 2.5GB Microdrive. Downloaded and installed 9.485 from this website. Set emu to 37-X50. Downloaded and installed Europe 945.6175 from this website. Ran fastactivate and patched the map.

Now here what happens. The first boot bring up the options for language, date etc. I set those then it reboots..and then does that forever more. If I connect to the PC and delete the currentmap.dat file then it will boot and bring up the config options again..then reboot loop.

No here is the odd thing. If I use the Operate My GO from Home I am able to operate the device ok (in as much as you can)..it loads up the Europe map I can select destinations etc. As soon as I disconnect from Home it goes into endless reboots again.
mrbeef offline

Re: Help needed for GO 700

Postby tendriver » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:06 pm

mrbeef wrote:No here is the odd thing. If I use the Operate My GO from Home I am able to operate the device ok (in as much as you can)..it loads up the Europe map I can select destinations etc. As soon as I disconnect from Home it goes into endless reboots again.

Operate my GO is just an emulation/simulator & can't be used for trouble-shooting. I'll be back in a couple of hours & will work on your main issue.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mrbeef » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Great. Thanks :)
mrbeef offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:32 am

mrbeef wrote:The first boot bring up the options for language, date etc. I set those then it reboots..and then does that forever more. If I connect to the PC and delete the currentmap.dat file then it will boot and bring up the config options again..then reboot loop.

1. rebooting after a map update or changes to some map related files like POI's.
It is a common problem caused by the file "mapsettings.cfg", when moving it from an old map folder to a new map folder.
To get a correct version of this file without loosing your favorites connect your Tomtom to
Tomtom Home and use "operate my Go" to manually add a favorite - you can choose any address you like.
Exit and restart your TomTom, which now has a rewritten "mapsettings.cfg" file.
If everything works fine, you can delete the newly added "dummy" favorite.

2. rebooting after a Navcore update.
Make sure it is not related to the "mapsettings.cfg" (simply rename the file to test it and change the name back if it was not the cause).
Start over by doing a clean install of the Navcore :
Delete the files and folders of the Navcore and only leave the map folder on your device - I assume you did make a proper backup of your working system as mentioned in the Navcore section.
Copy all files and folders for your new Navcore on your device and start it.
If you still get a rebooting problem you might want to try a different Navcore.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mrbeef » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:29 am

Thanks for your reply. I deleted the mapsettings.cfg but to no avail.

Here is some additional information.... I deleted the Europe 945.6175 map and installed Eastern_Europe_945.6174 which I obtained via this website - it works fine. I then added the Western_Europe_945.6245 and it too works fine. I can switch between the maps no problem at all and the device boots up fine every time.

The problem occurs when I try to use a complete Europe map. I have tried - Europe_945.6174, Europe_945.6175 and Europe_925.5409.

The fact that the device works ok with separate eastern and western maps leads me to think the navcore is ok, and I could understand if one of the complete Europe maps I downloads perhaps had some corrupted files etc....but not all 3 downloads (considering the east and west ones are fine).

It's driving me crazy :)
mrbeef offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:42 am

Try a newer Navcore from my installers and select the X10 version.
It is possible that your internal HDD causes the problem.
The CF system is addressed slightly different to memory cards.
If in doubt you can also try the MemoryBoost version as it uses a different kernel than the other versions.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby mrbeef » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:54 am

Ah ok I will try those options..thanks :)

UPDATE: tried the NC 9.510 installer trying the GO 64, GO 32, and X10 options... When using the X10 version I was able to get past the initial setup options and the loading of the complete Europe map 945.6174. 'Yippieee' I hear you say (as did I)...but, if I connected the device back to the PC (to add a startup image) and then disconnected, the device would do a reboot and then enter into the looping sequence again.

This morning I tried using the 9.485 installer selecting to X10 option (which I did notice mentioned CF cards specifically). I managed to load the Europe map and, after a long time searching for a GPS signal it did find one. I have been messing around planning complex routes through Europe and it has managed quite well (no crashes etc.).

I am now scared to connect it to a PC again or have the battery run flat in case it fails to boot up and enters the looping sequence... I think I would be in tears :)
mrbeef offline

Postby mrbeef » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:29 pm

....pass me a box of Kleenex please...
mrbeef offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Don't waste your time trying any 6174 maps. They are for units with mikes. Stick with a 6175 version, which is the exact same map for units without a mike.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mrbeef » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:28 pm

haha.... I did actually get some rudimentary voice commands working (the windscreen mount has a built in mike). I shall try the 6175 now though.

Do you know what files I need to delete to initialise the start-up config (left/right hand, miles/km, time etc.)?

I've deleted the mapsettings.cfg and currentmap and also the settings.dat files.... but they keep coming back.. and if I deleted the settings file (shows info about phone I connected to etc.) where is it keep getting the info from?
mrbeef offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:13 pm

mrbeef wrote:I've deleted the mapsettings.cfg and currentmap and also the settings.dat files.... but they keep coming back

There are certain files that are required for TT to be completely functional. ttgo.bif, mapsettings.cfg, currentmap, current location & settings.dat files are a couple of them.
If TT doesn't see any of them when you boot up, it will create them. It then edits them as you make entries.
Removing mapsettings.cfg & settings.dat should take care of most of the settings that you have concerns about.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mrbeef » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:34 pm

In the words of Kate the UK computer voice 'You have reached your destination in one piece. Hurray!'

That map version did the trick. I can connect to the computer and then disconnect and it reboots fine to the legal notice. The same if the battery runs flat and I turn it on with the charger plugged in :)

One question... with the 9.485 backup of the GO there was a Jukebox/MP3 player. Is it possible to install that on the X10 version that I am running?

Many thanks to both of you for your helpful advice :)
mrbeef offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:00 pm

mrbeef wrote:One question... with the 9.485 backup of the GO there was a Jukebox/MP3 player. Is it possible to install that on the X10 version that I am running?

I depends on what emu you have set. Example: The X40 emu has jukebox, but X 50 emu doesn't.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mrbeef » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Ah..ok.. I have 37 (x50) I'll trying changing emu then.

One more thing I will mention..it's odd.. it seems that I can only load a certain number of speed camera files (countries). I loaded them all and it went to the reboot loop. I deleted them all and it was fine. I then started adding one by one until it stopped booting properly. Removing one allowed it to boot again ( I also made sure it wasn't that particular file by deleting a know good one and getting a good boot).

Also, selecting a computer voice when booted works ok..even when it goes on standby and resumes...but a cold boot fails if a computer voice is set. Changing the voice in Home to a standard voice allows it to boot again.

I just thought I'd mention that for the benefit of others who have GO 700s and want to upgrade as I have :)
mrbeef offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:59 pm

mrbeef wrote:I have 37 (x50) I'll trying changing emu then.

FYI, X40 has Jukebox, but no auto day/night. X50 has auto day/night, but no Jukebox.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to > Navcores 9 for TomTom Devices