Ancient Tomtom 520 - going to France, need a map of france l   

Ancient Tomtom 520 - going to France, need a map of france l

Postby peskywinnets » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 pm

I've gone to Tomtom...carried out all the updates...my navcore is now 9.510 ....but how do I a french map on my tomtom without losing the functionality that the 520 comes with vanilla out the box?

I've tried to find a map on the compatibility charts that mentions both the map I need (france) & my Tomtom device running V9.510....failed.

Can anyone help?
peskywinnets offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:14 pm

peskywinnets wrote:I've tried to find a map on the compatibility charts that mentions both the map I need (france) & my Tomtom device running V9.510....failed.

Welcome to Navitotal!!

It appears that the only thing you failed, was to read the compatibility chart usage instructions included in the yellow box at the bottom of the chart, starting with the 910 Edition.maps.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby peskywinnets » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:26 am

Thanks for the welcome.

I should clarify......the compatibility chart I referred to was a feral chart, that the overworked bloke "Mr Google" kindly ferreted out for me - it wasn't from this site - I've just done a search of this forum for any local 'compatibility chart' (hopefully where I can reference the yellow box at the bottom that you speak of), but nothing leapt out at me - therefore could some kind soul provide me with general linkage to the compatibility chart I need please?
peskywinnets offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:42 am

There is a nice red sticky thread for the maps in the general section, would be my first place to look....
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby peskywinnets » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Many thanks...found what I needed.

Alas, for my tomtom go520 the france map I need has no meta data ....presumably I can revert back to an earlier pre 9.510 navcore, using files on this site (cos I'm sure I won't be able to ont eh official TomTom site?!)
peskywinnets offline

Postby Razorblatter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 pm

You don't have to take a map of France only.
Why don't you take a 920 map like Europe_South?
Razorblatter offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:03 pm

peskywinnets wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

I should clarify......the compatibility chart I referred to was a feral chart, that the overworked bloke "Mr Google" kindly ferreted out for me - it wasn't from this site - I've just done a search of this forum for any local 'compatibility chart' (hopefully where I can reference the yellow box at the bottom that you speak of), but nothing leapt out at me - therefore could some kind soul provide me with general linkage to the compatibility chart I need please?

EVERY Navitotal map thread started by Popeye has a compatibility chart in post 1.
EVERY Navitotal map collections only thread has a compatibility chart in post 2.

peskywinnets wrote:Alas, for my tomtom go520 the france map I need has no meta data ....presumably I can revert back to an earlier pre 9.510 navcore, using files on this site

There is no need to revert back to an earlier navcore. 9.510 is compatible with any version of any edition map that has a meta code.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby peskywinnets » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:02 pm

How would I go about upgrading the firmware to IQ routing for my Tomtom 520 go? (it didn't come with it...they released a newer version with IQ just a couple of months after shelling out on mine!)
peskywinnets offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:28 pm

peskywinnets wrote:1. How would I go about upgrading the firmware to IQ routing for my Tomtom 520 go?
2. (it didn't come with it...they released a newer version with IQ just a couple of months after shelling out on mine!)

1. The official 520 navcore, currently 9.510, will always support IQ routing.
2. The only thing diffferent between your 520 & the "newer version with IQ" was the navcore in the "new version". The devices are identical from top to bottom.

OK, time out. You started this thread with a 510 & now it is a 520!! Which one do you actually have?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby peskywinnets » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:39 am

tendriver wrote:OK, time out. You started this thread with a 510 & now it is a 520!! Which one do you actually have?

Guilty as charged, I thought I owned a 510, but at one stage, I had to enter the first two characters of serial number into TomTom's site & it reported I have a 520 (!)....further scouting about the label on my satnav with a jeweller's eyepiece revealed an "Oops" moment ...that indeed, it's an 520 I own!"

Sorry for being slow on the uptake, but from my limited understanding ...to get the france maps I need, I need to use TomToms website to upgrade to the latest navcore (which turned out to be 9.510) & then establish the map I need...locate, download, install & activate blah blah. ) You say 9.510 will always support IQ routing....but I guess therefore my question is....since my 520 already has 9.510, then how do I enable IQ routing?!!
peskywinnets offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:07 am

peskywinnets wrote:since my 520 already has 9.510, then how do I enable IQ routing?!!

Simply by installing a map that includes IQ Routing. The correct map can always be quickly determined by referring to the map/navcore compatibility chart for the current map edition.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby peskywinnets » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:41 am

tendriver wrote:Simply by installing a map that includes IQ Routing. The correct map can always be quickly determined by referring to the map/navcore compatibility chart for the current map edition.

Ah so the IQ routing 'magic' happens in the maps, as opposed the actual Navcore - ok, many thanks, I'll follow your earlier advice & download a france map associated with previous navcore to mine that has metas :-)
peskywinnets offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:29 am

peskywinnets wrote:I'll follow your earlier advice & download a france map associated with previous navcore to mine that has metas

Unless you must have a French only map, there are numerous maps, with IQ Routing, in the current 920 Edition that include France with the same detailed coverage as the stand alone French map.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby peskywinnets » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 pm

tendriver wrote:Unless you must have a French only map, there are numerous maps, with IQ Routing, in the current 920 Edition that include France with the same detailed coverage as the stand alone French map.

I've just sourced a 4GB SD card (whereas earlier I only had a small SD card, hence looking for the France map only!), so yes, I guess it would be nice to have a western Europe map (to include the UK) that has IQ routing for the current 920 Edition :-) ....off to have a search!
peskywinnets offline

Postby peskywinnets » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:57 pm

I must be slower on the uptake than I imagined I was?!

Ok, I'm after Western Europe maps, but when I come to patch it with fastactivate, I see this error...

"Incomplete Map(s):
Western_Europe-849.meta => .dct ERROR"

So, a bit of googling reveals this...

"If you get a ".dct ERROR" message, it usually means the meta has not been released."

Hmm meta info not there then.......so now I need to delve a bit more about meta! (the thrill of the chase eh?!)

In the 920 map sticky here...

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?14731-920-Map-Collections-Only!!

it says this ....

"A map can't be activated until a meta code is posted with it !!!
Meta codes are posted as soon as we get them, so PLEASE DO NOT ASK!!!"

For my required map there is actually a meta...

; Europe_West_920_5241
BB 13 D4 14 D1 22 E5 C5 0A EF 73 0C C2 11 F0 BA Europe_West-849.meta

....but how am I meant to use the meta data that posted next to the map?!!!

I tried dropping the above meta data into a text file called meta.txt (which some links on google suggested I should do), but that didn't work.

So how am I meant to get the right meta onto my SD in a format that fastactivate.exe will be happy with?

Many thanks :-)
peskywinnets offline

Next

Return to > Navcores 9 for TomTom Devices