Info for Mio Moov 560   

Info for Mio Moov 560

Postby Sly1980 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 am

Hi guys

I am new to this concept, most of it sounds like gibberish to me. Anyway, I have had a Moov 560 with Miomap 2008 installed since 2011. When I enquired about updates for this device, I was directed to their South African agent who said they would use software from the official C510/C310 4.2 inch devices with Handymap G12 using Navteq maps for a cost of almost as much as I paid for the device. With this came 2 years of free monthly updates though. Nevertheless, I never took the offer and continued using my Mio as it was. On my last trip though, the device seems to have failed me, it cannot pick up location. It was now that I though I need to unlock and use other maps (or at least try) before buying a new GPS. The problem is, I don't know what to do for this device and where to find anything for South Africa. Can somebody please help? I would like to backup my current software and then completely replace it with something newer if that is possible.
Lastly, does the Moov 560 have the worst touch screen or have I just been unlucky with this one? It's been poorly responsive since new and sometimes it will select a nearby letter instead on the one I'm pressing. Is there any way to change this?
Sly1980 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:34 am

In the original software there might be an option to reset the gps, try that and see if you can get a lock.

Without a lock there's not much point in unlocking it.

Do you have that strange air filled screen protector like my M400 does?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Sly1980 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:55 am

Hi Fatboyfun

I actually did a reset via the mio software on device last night, allowed me to reset and said all my saved settings will be erased, it auto restarted and came up with some new screens like it was when it was new but my recent locations are still populated. Surely a hard reset should delete all these as well. But no, I saw no lock appear at any time. It still would not find location so I opened it up to see what I could see (as if I would actually find anything!) and unplugged the battery (which is attached to the removable cover) and speaker (Also attached to removable cover), removed the two screws holding what I assume is the GPS receiver, unplugged it and tried to take it out but it seems otherwise attached so I just put everything back and tried it again, picks up location but I dont know if it's just luck or something else.
It does not have a screen protector, the screen just sucks, I assumed that it was badly designed but can you actually design something so bad?
Anyway, I need to update it to newer maps (so newer sofware), how do I achieve this?
Sly1980 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 pm

It was probably just a bad connection, which you fixed by taking apart and putting back together.

Have a look here...

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?8169-Run-iGO-Primo-2-0-on-Mio-Moov-and-Navman-S-series-(and-some-F-series)-in-ten-steps
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Sly1980 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for the info, not sure why my previous response did not show up. Will I need specific software for my region (excuse my ignorance please!), obviously the maps will have to be for SA but the other base software is what I'm wondering about. I also just want this to be a GPS and not PDA because I have my Xperia Z for that!
Sly1980 offline

Postby Sly1980 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:14 pm

I have tried the procedure, the program that unlocks the device seems to hang, any ideas?
Sly1980 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Take a look at Dalanik's visual unlock, then continue from step 4 of my guide...

Unfortunately due to the odd system software on the moov you need to unlock it carefully, just replacing the original software will bring a whole world of problems.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Sly1980 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Everything is working fine, thanks for the help! Silly me, the device needs to be connected to a native USB port on the PC, not a USB add on card or the front USB ports. Once plugged directly into the boards USB, the process worked like a charm! You have some mad skills!
Sly1980 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks for the update :biggrin:
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Sly1980 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 pm

I am having problems with the Tomtom thread, the Tomtom 7.450 won't run because it says 'Tomtom Navigator.exe is not a valid Windows CE application'. I downloaded the alternate version and it runs but it says that it can't find the maps, where should the maps be placed? Should I create a folder within 'Tomnav' folder that is named 'maps' or should I just copy the extracted "Southern_Africa_910_4892" folder into 'Tomnav'? Where should I put the fastactivate.exe file and should this be the only file from this rar that I copy over?
Sly1980 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:42 pm

First thing to find out, is your device ce5 our ce6, if it's 6 then forget TomTom and use Primo.

Otherwise use the chart in post #1 of the official map thread and confirm the map is compatible with the far right column (wince wm pda pna) and had a meta code posted with the link.
Then the map folder needs to go in the root of the device where tomnav is.

(As viewed from a pc)
\X:\{MapFolder}\Cline.dat
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Sly1980 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks! Unfortunately, there are no maps for my device that have the meta codes(I downloaded the one that did but it's not compatible now that I've checked the chart), will just have to wait for now and hope they arrive! My device is WinCE5 so it should work once I get the meta data.
Sly1980 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Have a look at Primo while you're waiting, it's a lot better than the Windows version of TomTom which is only a basic version.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Sly1980 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks! Tomtom works(found a 905.xxx map that was compatible) but you're quite right, looks very basic. The Primo is much better, just need to find the speedcam data for it and I'll be all set!. So the device that was dead two days ago now has Miomap 2008, Igo Primo, and Tomtom running on it. You guys are just brilliant!:applause:
Sly1980 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 pm

You can try adding tts pro, skins and then tweaking primo to your requirements now.

If you make a backup of the primo folder first, you can restore it if it breaks.

Visit our iGO sub forum for more info...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to Mio Device Unlock