TomTom one ready for the shredder?   

TomTom one ready for the shredder?

Postby orange1234 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi guys, I think I've knackered my TomTom One. It's been a trusty friend over the years as it knows where to take me when I have no clue. It stopped working with postcodes and it took me to some strange places when I picked the roads from a list lol. So I decided to save gallons of juice driving to cities where all the roads are named the same and update the maps and hopefully fix the postcode lookup with it. That was the plan anyway and it's all gone wrong. Firstly TomTom only give you 120MB card, the uk map is nearly double that so..off to Tesco to see if they had a bigger card.

So now I've put a new 2gb SD card in, I connected it to TomTom Home and it "updated" it for me. Except it says "No Maps found " So I downloaded the uk map v 905 from here and thought I would be able to resurrect my old friend from his coma - alas no...even when the installer did it's magic - it still says no map. :( is it dead? am I brain dead - can anyone help solve my dilemma.

This is a great site btw, I wish I had found it 3 hrs ago when I first started this journey LOL

any help would be gratefully received.
orange1234 offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:22 pm

orange1234 wrote:1. So now I've put a new 2gb SD card in, I connected it to TomTom Home and it "updated" it for me. Except it says "No Map installed" So I downloaded the uk map v 905 from here and thought I would be able to resurrect my old friend from his coma - alas no...even when the installer did it's magic - it still says no map. is it dead? am I brain dead - can anyone help solve my dilemma.

You did not give us much info to work with, such as navcore version & uk map version. You either have a patching issue or a navcore/map compatibility issue.
1. If TT Home installed navcore 7.903 & you loaded UK&ROI 950.4754, you have a compatibility issue. You need UK&ROI 905.4800.
2. If you have 7.903 & you loaded UK&ROI 950.4800, you have a patching issue. Patch both navcore & map with FastActivate 04.04.2013. A patched map will have a file with extension .meta.dct in the map folder.
3. If you have a setup different from either of these 2, run the attachment & post the results here.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby orange1234 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi thanks for your reply.

ok, I ran the software and this what it says

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom Go
DeviceVersionHW=ONE
BootLoaderVersion=505
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=6560
ApplicationVersion=7914
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found...

the map I installed is 905.4800

I ran FastActive and patched the map and Navcore and I had my hopes up...but it still says No Maps :cray:

I hope all those numbers mean something to you

Again thanks for helping me
orange1234 offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:07 pm

orange1234 wrote:ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=6560

Problem solved. You have a navcore/map compatibility issue. Your navcore is 6.560. The 905 maps require navcore 7.8XX or higher. When there are several navcore updates between the one installed & the current official version, TT Home will not skip the ones in between and load the current one. You have to keep updating 1 navcore at a time until TT Home finally loads the current version. Re-connect to TomTom Home and keep updating until you get to the current navcore.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dave1938 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I have a similar problem but it doesn't quite fit with your reply to this post. I have 7.903 and just downloaded and installed the full map (905.4800) and patch archive into the root of my TT.

The old map folder containing all my POI's and speed cameras is still there.
A new folder appreared which is the 905. My device doesn't see the new maps, still the old. So I spent about three hours searching the site and somebody said they solved this by removing the old maps, which I did, now I have only my old French mapping, it's all gone. so I moved the new files over to the old folder and still nothing. I am totally lost and admit have spent two full afternoons on this.

Sadly it took me that long to learn to stick with the installed Navcore 7.903 (I am trying to behave and do one thing at a time) and thought I had been so clever selecting the 905.4800 from your map list after cross checking with the device compatibility lists. But now I don't know what to do short of deleting it all and pasting back the original contents and back to square one.

I could use some detailed advice on what to do with the existing files, also other files appeared outside the main (previous) map folder and some extra's (I think) inside the original folder with "patch" on them.

I don't think I need to use FastActivate 04.04.2013 do I? Isn't that if you haven't used the self installer map download? I am also totally lost regarding TT Home, does that need a patch, in which case FastActivate seems to do that as part of the process for non patched maps. Sorry I am just totally brain deaded now and I don't give up easy, please can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Dave.
dave1938 offline

Postby tendriver » Sat May 11, 2013 7:05 pm

dave1938 wrote:I have a similar problem but it doesn't quite fit with your reply to this post.

1. I have 7.903 and just downloaded and installed the full map (905.4800) and patch archive into the root of my TT.

2. The old map folder containing all my POI's and speed cameras is still there.
A new folder appreared which is the 905. My device doesn't see the new maps, still the old. So I spent about three hours searching the site and somebody said they solved this by removing the old maps, which I did, now I have only my old French mapping, it's all gone. so I moved the new files over to the old folder and still nothing. I am totally lost and admit have spent two full afternoons on this.

Sadly it took me that long to learn to stick with the installed Navcore 7.903 (I am trying to behave and do one thing at a time) and thought I had been so clever selecting the 905.4800 from your map list after cross checking with the device compatibility lists. But now I don't know what to do short of deleting it all and pasting back the original contents and back to square one.

I could use some detailed advice on what to do with the existing files, also other files appeared outside the main (previous) map folder and some extra's (I think) inside the original folder with "patch" on them.

3. I don't think I need to use FastActivate 04.04.2013 do I? Isn't that if you haven't used the self installer map download?
4. I am also totally lost regarding TT Home, does that need a patch, in which case FastActivate seems to do that as part of the process for non patched maps. Sorry I am just totally brain deaded now and I don't give up easy, please can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Dave.

1. 905.4800 is compatible with 7.903. No problem here.
2. From this description of your problem, you have a simple patching issue. If your 905.4800 folder does not have a .meta & a .meta.dct file in it, then the map is not patched. If these files are present, then the 905.4800 map is patched, but your 7.903 & old map are not patched.
3. You will need to use FastActivate, if your navcore & old map need patching.
4. Don't worry about TT Home for now.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dave1938 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:43 pm

First, a SINCERE thanks for taking time to try to help me. I am really pleased and appreciate your reply.

I found what seems to be very sensible advice re the Navcore here and that is that if TT Home didn't update from the existing 7.903 (Boot Loader 50500) it's probably not beneficial to try higher. (One minor question here more out of curiosity, I did notice that on one of your device / map lists it shows my TT Onev3 devices with 8.010 installed as standard. I suspect mine was a very early v3 BUT as you already advise to stick with TT Home's last update perhaps that's still best). I only mention this as I have a lot of trouble getting my PC to recognise the USB port when I plug in the TT (It's the same on other PC's too).

I have returned my TT to original so please could you advise best method from the start. Should I first run the FasActivate in the TT route directory, then run the 905.4800 (Navitotal with Automatic Installer & Patcher) afterwards? I can see that a clear routine must be followed so the changes take place in the correct order for it all to work. It's because I can't find this detail that it seems so complex.

Are there any other files that I should delete after this process, for example, I wish to keep the ov2 files contained in my existing "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland" mapping folder, they contain local hospitals, fuel stations, National Trust locations etc. I also have a lot of pocketgps speed camera files which could go if I can get new ones from Navitotal but please consider this, I can look into them later). It's just knowing if I should simply cut and paste these over to the new map folder or will the files be associated with the original mapping file-name?

OK I can ask about all this and TT Home when the important bit is done. Just in case any of this is valid these are files in my TT directory now that perhaps need deleting at some point...

Files On TT before running anything...

Outside map folder
ttdesk.ver
ttgo.bif
ttsystem
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-5CB61EFD.mds
UserPatch
CurrentLocation
CurrentMap
mctx
settings

United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland (Existing mapping folder) contents...

cline
cname
cnode
crpoi
faces
MapServerPatch
MapUserPatch
PatchFilter
poi
ServerLineIndex
ServerNameIndex
tables
tmccodes
traffic

United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-424.meta
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-5cb61efd.mac
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-424.meta
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland.mms
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland.pna

THANKS NT, I will await your advice re order of upgrade process, best wishes, Dave.
dave1938 offline

Postby tendriver » Sun May 12, 2013 7:49 pm

dave1938 wrote:First, a SINCERE thanks for taking time to try to help me. I am really pleased and appreciate your reply.

1. I found what seems to be very sensible advice re the Navcore here and that is that if TT Home didn't update from the existing 7.903 (Boot Loader 50500) it's probably not beneficial to try higher.
2. (One minor question here more out of curiosity, I did notice that on one of your device / map lists it shows my TT One v3 devices with 8.010 installed as standard. I suspect mine was a very early v3 BUT as you already advise to stick with TT Home's last update perhaps that's still best).
3. I only mention this as I have a lot of trouble getting my PC to recognise the USB port when I plug in the TT (It's the same on other PC's too).

4.I have returned my TT to original so please could you advise best method from the start. Should I first run the FastActivate in the TT route directory, then run the 905.4800 (Navitotal with Automatic Installer & Patcher) afterwards? I can see that a clear routine must be followed so the changes take place in the correct order for it all to work. It's because I can't find this detail that it seems so complex.

5. Are there any other files that I should delete after this process, for example, I wish to keep the ov2 files contained in my existing "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland" mapping folder, they contain local hospitals, fuel stations, National Trust locations etc. I also have a lot of pocketgps speed camera files which could go if I can get new ones from Navitotal but please consider this, I can look into them later). It's just knowing if I should simply cut and paste these over to the new map folder or will the files be associated with the original mapping file-name?

THANKS NT, I will await your advice re order of upgrade process, best wishes, Dave.

1. Where did you see this?
2. The current navcore for a TT One 2nd Edition (v3) is 7.903. The current navcore for a TT One 3rd Edition (v6) is 8.010. These are the current official navcores, not what your device is capable of running.
3. I suspect this is caused by the device's 5.0500 bootloader.
4. See if you are interested in this: [color=red]Navcore 9.510[/color] for most models.
5. Let's get you up & running, before we worry about this.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dave1938 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:32 am

Hi Tendriver
Sory, suspect I have mis-read the chart, I thought TT only did "One" in three editions, v1, v2, v3 so must have misunderstood, ignore me. To re-confirm my device from get config is "DeviceVersionHW=ONE (v3)" It comes up on TT Home as "One New Edition".

1. I have run Fastactivate in the TT route directory and selected options, 1, 3 & 4. I just need to know about what to do with the map - should I run the 905.4800 (Navitotal with Automatic Installer & Patcher) inside the route directory next?
2. I need to know if it's best to remove the old map folder first, which I would assume to be best BUT have all my speed cameras and POI inside that folder. As I said, I don't know if TT will look for them in the old folder, that's why I have left it all alone till you can advise me.
3. I downloaded your current speed cams but await advice re map and map folder first.
4. I know TT Home has downloaded the 905 postcode data for my (existing) old map, this is another important thing I need to get right for the TT to be useable (post code searches).

Thanks, looking forward to your reply tendriver.
Dave
PS...I am away on my holiday this Saturday so hope to get it running as I really only use it once or twice a year for holiday driving, I know my way around locally.
dave1938 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 am

With a bit of preparation before starting an update it goes down to less than 30 minutes for a complete new installation.
POI's and favourites are covered in the tutorials, just a bit of common sense is needed.
Postcodes have clear instrcutions too in the map thread.
Same for the installation of a new map - if you keep or delete an older map only depends on the available free space and personal preference.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby dave1938 » Mon May 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi, I have run fastactivate in the route of the TT.
I have run 905.4800 (Navitotal with Automatic Installer & Patcher) after the navcore was patched.

I have still the same old map showing, no option in the OS to change maps, so it's not seeing the new maps.

I have done this three times (last two times in reverse order of fastactivate and auto patch installer on the 905 map) I have read and read for hours all the threads and despite asking for help you don't actually tell me what I can try next. I have done exactly what your threads say but it's the missing detail that's the problem. I love the idea of the automatic software but don't understand why it isn't working for me. I haven't messed about with the navcore or anything, basically I just want a new map and postcodes.
Thanks, Dave.
dave1938 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 pm

dave1938 wrote:I have still the same old map showing, no option in the OS to change maps, so it's not seeing the new maps

Please run: TomTom Current Configuration {13.11.2011} Post the results here.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Did you go in the menu and changed to the new map?
By default your old map will be active...
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby dave1938 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Sadly the link to the config doesn't work (it insists we download their free archive software, which I don't want in case of adware etc) thanks anyway.

I have the map running now, I think the problem was that I assumed the auto installer and patcher would patch the map automatically (as it is named auto...) but it must not have worked so I re-applied fastactivate and then selected change map in the TT OS, where the new 905 now appears (great news).

I have copied your new speed cam files to the new map folder, but don't understand the difference between the regular and premium, however after running the route demo as advised on the thread, it does show cameras where they need to be. Should I remove any of the speed camera files, these are in the new map folder now - Safety_Cam_UK_Premium, Safety_Cam_UK_Premium.ov2, Safety_Cam_UK_Premium.Ov2.ver, Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2, Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.Ov2.ver.

I am now going to look up how to do the postcodes.

One remaining question - I let fastactivate patch TT Home. Will Home still apply mapshare corrections to the new map? Will it apply fastfind also, or will I need to use fastactivate utility for this. Couldn't find any info about why TT Home is patched but assume it's regarding the use of non purchased TT mapping etc.

Thanks, will let you know how I get on, Dave.
dave1938 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon May 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Patching Home is only for the device simulation, all other functions in Home will work without patching.
And no patching Home has no negative effects for you.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Next

Return to > Maps v9XX