Mix and Match POI file rules   

Mix and Match POI file rules

Postby maxim745 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:18 pm

I am curious about the limitations of using different poi files with a given map. Here are a few issues I have thought of but likely there are others I'm too ignorant to have considered.

1) Are there any version limits between the poi file and the map being used?
2) If you copy a new poi file to a TomTom do you have to run FastActivate again?
3) I was told in another thread something about only Northern US working from the original TomTom pois and didn't really follow (didn't want to clutter up that thread talking about it so started this one instead so as to hopefully be more generally useful to others).

I don't really care about POIs personally, but I've a friend who does (and has a similarly memory limited TomTom One device) so want to get a better understanding before helping them upgrade.

Thanks a lot.
maxim745 offline

Re: Mix and Match POI file rules

Postby tendriver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:38 pm

maxim745 wrote:1) Are there any version limits between the poi file and the map being used?
2) If you copy a new poi file to a TomTom do you have to run FastActivate again?
3) I was told in another thread something about only Northern US working from the original TomTom pois and didn't really follow (didn't want to clutter up that thread talking about it so started this one instead so as to hopefully be more generally useful to others).

1. No, as long as the poi file/folder covers the same area as the map.
2. No.
3. If you use a Northern US & Canada poi file/folder in a US & Canada map, you will have ALL of the Canadian pois, but only the Northern US pois. If you put a US only poi file/folder in a US & C map, you will have US pois, but no Canadian pois.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby maxim745 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Thank you!
maxim745 offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:44 pm

See post 2 edited point 3.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby maxim745 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:49 pm

So whatever the intersection of the map and poi coverage is. Makes sense. For my friend, they've elected to go with US and Canada maps, but US only POIs.
maxim745 offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:51 pm

maxim745 wrote:So whatever the intersection of the map and poi coverage is.

I'm not sure what this means.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby maxim745 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:02 pm

Based on your examples, it seems as though the pois that will be accessible from your GPS will be from the areas that are contained by both your map and the poi file. For example, if the map covers A & B & C & D regions and the POI covers B & D & E & F regions, you will have POIs only for areas B & D, the ones covered by both.
maxim745 offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Yep, you've got it!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to > Maps v9XX